USB or PS2 Mouse?

Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
that converts it to PS/2.

Thanks, jimbo
14 answers Last reply
More about mouse

    more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.

    jimbo wrote:
    > Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    > connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter that
    > converts it to PS/2.
    >
    > Thanks, jimbo

    Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I was fooling around with a Debian
    3.0 r5 installation and the USB mouse wouldn't work. I had a devil of
    a time getting Debian installed. I couldn't get X Window to work. Then
    on one try, X Window did work but the mouse didn't. Then I could never
    get X Window to work again. So I changed to the PS/2 mouse and made a
    change to the video driver and to which kernel to install and finally
    got a working installation of Debian.

    Then I started to wonder about what I might be giving up on other OSs
    by using the PS/2 port.

    Thanks again, jimbo

    JAD wrote:

    > more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.
    >

    > "jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    >>connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    >>that converts it to PS/2.
    >>
    >>Thanks, jimbo

    I use the wonderful Evoluent Vertical Mouse, and the programmable
    buttons aren't all useable except in USB mode.

    Normally, for a basic mouse, I prefer to use the ps/2 port, because that
    port has no other function, and I don't like to waste it. Plus, ps/2
    is more universally compatible. Some distros of Linux don't like USB
    devices, and you need ps/2 KB and mouse just to get through setup.

    Plus, I like to free up a USB port if I can.

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

    >Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    >connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    >that converts it to PS/2.
    >
    >Thanks, jimbo

    I've always found the mouse more responsive when connected to USB
    compared to PS/2.

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.

    why?

    just curious!

    well its just because....the only reason I would have any thought about what
    to use is if I only have few USB ports OR only 2.0 ports and the mouse would
    just waste that high speed interface. Other than that I see no reason to use
    the PS2. (really no difference, except it seems that there is a wider
    variety of features for USB mice. A good amount come with the adapter).

    "Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.
    >

    > why?
    >
    > just curious!

    jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

    > Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    > connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    > that converts it to PS/2.

    Plug it into a USB port. If that does it work, if you have errors
    that might be caused by that, put the adapter on it and plug it into
    a PS/2 part.

    There probably are no other concerns.

    jimbo wrote:
    > Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    > connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter that
    > converts it to PS/2.

    I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
    port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.

    Perhaps a recent USB mouse has some improvements to make this a
    non-issue, but this was surely the case with my MX500 and GA-7DXR+
    motherboard.

    --
    -WD

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:48:16 -0400, Will Dormann
    <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

    >I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
    >port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.

    OK, using third party software you can do that but by default the
    sampling rate of a USB mouse is 125 and a PS/2 port is something like
    40. But I just read here that cpu usage is higher for USB mouse
    compared to PS/2 so if you want to save cpu cycles maybe PS/2 is
    better. I read that here.
    http://www.devhardware.com/forums/archive/t-31622/USB-or-PS2

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
    because I have stood on the shoulder of giants jimbo
    <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote :

    >Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    >connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    >that converts it to PS/2.
    >
    >Thanks, jimbo

    For older O/S users like win95/98 a USB mouse won't usually work in
    dos or Safemode unless the mother board supports legacy dos mode and
    the correct drivers are installed and is usually hit-and-miss.This is
    a disadvantage when trouble shooting.

    USB mice by default have a better refresh rate usually above 100Hz
    and up to 200Hz so may be a bit smoother and don't require a specific
    IRQ although this is less of an issue these days with the advent of
    APIC
    http://www.buildorbuy.org/irqmap.html
    on the newer O/S.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Fisher wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:48:16 -0400, Will Dormann
    > <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
    >>port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.
    >

    > OK, using third party software you can do that but by default the
    > sampling rate of a USB mouse is 125 and a PS/2 port is something like
    > 40. But I just read here that cpu usage is higher for USB mouse
    > compared to PS/2 so if you want to save cpu cycles maybe PS/2 is
    > better. I read that here.
    > http://www.devhardware.com/forums/archive/t-31622/USB-or-PS2

    Not 3rd party software, but the Logitech drivers that come with the
    mouse in my case. Lower CPU usage and higher sample rate with PS2...
    sounds like a winner to me. :)

    --
    -WD

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:44:45 -0400, Will Dormann
    <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Lower CPU usage and higher sample rate with PS2...
    > sounds like a winner to me. :)

    Yea, I think you are onto something. Maybe I'll switch mine back to
    PS/2.

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

    >Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    >connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    >that converts it to PS/2.
    >
    >Thanks, jimbo

    There is NO advantage at all - though most mice these days have USB connectors
    standard, with PS2 connectors 2ndary.

    There *IS* one advantage to keeping the PS2 connector in place - and that is
    that the USB port stays 100% open for things that need it.

    Ubergamers may claim that the PS/2s lower sampling rate can cause a player to
    lose a nanosecond here or there when their "lives" are at stake. If you *are*
    that hyper, by all means, devote an entire USB 2 block controller with a PCI-EX
    pipe of its own to a super-slock micro-mini-shift-sensitive control board, ditto
    keyboard, gamepad and joystick.

    I'd prefer to have a life, and personally use only Unicomp keyboards (made from
    the same molds and parts used to make IBM's classic ergometric keuboards of the
    first machines called "PS/2" - designed after the Selectric typewriter, and a
    logitec Thumb Trackball, which is currently one of seven devices in my USB2
    controller, just because it's easier to wire it that way! (for flight sims I
    even have an old Logitech joystick wired to the same 7-way port under a layer of
    dust, I thin -thud, found it-k

    jimbo wrote:
    > jimbo wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
    >> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
    >> that converts it to PS/2.
    >>
    >> Thanks, jimbo
    >

    > Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I was fooling around with a Debian
    > 3.0 r5 installation and the USB mouse wouldn't work.

    Did you have usb support enabled in the BIOS?

    > I had a devil of a
    > time getting Debian installed. I couldn't get X Window to work. Then on
    > one try, X Window did work but the mouse didn't. Then I could never get
    > X Window to work again. So I changed to the PS/2 mouse and made a change
    > to the video driver and to which kernel to install and finally got a
    > working installation of Debian.
    >
    > Then I started to wonder about what I might be giving up on other OSs by
    > using the PS/2 port.
    >
    > Thanks again, jimbo

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt PlayStation Connection PS/2 USB Mice Systems