Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB or PS2 Mouse?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 24, 2005 10:50:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
that converts it to PS/2.

Thanks, jimbo

More about : usb ps2 mouse

May 24, 2005 11:24:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.


"jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
news:FiGke.153$fe2.127@fe02.lga...
> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
> that converts it to PS/2.
>
> Thanks, jimbo
May 24, 2005 2:33:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

jimbo wrote:
> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter that
> converts it to PS/2.
>
> Thanks, jimbo

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I was fooling around with a Debian
3.0 r5 installation and the USB mouse wouldn't work. I had a devil of
a time getting Debian installed. I couldn't get X Window to work. Then
on one try, X Window did work but the mouse didn't. Then I could never
get X Window to work again. So I changed to the PS/2 mouse and made a
change to the video driver and to which kernel to install and finally
got a working installation of Debian.

Then I started to wonder about what I might be giving up on other OSs
by using the PS/2 port.

Thanks again, jimbo
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 2:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

JAD wrote:

> more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.
>
>
> "jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
> news:FiGke.153$fe2.127@fe02.lga...
>
>>Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
>>connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
>>that converts it to PS/2.
>>
>>Thanks, jimbo
>
>
>

I use the wonderful Evoluent Vertical Mouse, and the programmable
buttons aren't all useable except in USB mode.

Normally, for a basic mouse, I prefer to use the ps/2 port, because that
port has no other function, and I don't like to waste it. Plus, ps/2
is more universally compatible. Some distros of Linux don't like USB
devices, and you need ps/2 KB and mouse just to get through setup.

Plus, I like to free up a USB port if I can.
May 24, 2005 4:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

>Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
>connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
>that converts it to PS/2.
>
>Thanks, jimbo

I've always found the mouse more responsive when connected to USB
compared to PS/2.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 6:30:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
news:8PGke.14405$bD5.11795@fe07.lga...
> more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.


why?

just curious!
May 24, 2005 6:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

well its just because....the only reason I would have any thought about what
to use is if I only have few USB ports OR only 2.0 ports and the mouse would
just waste that high speed interface. Other than that I see no reason to use
the PS2. (really no difference, except it seems that there is a wider
variety of features for USB mice. A good amount come with the adapter).



"Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 6vdpf$rgm$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> news:8PGke.14405$bD5.11795@fe07.lga...
> > more than enough USB ports? then use the USB.
>
>
> why?
>
> just curious!
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 7:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
> that converts it to PS/2.

Plug it into a USB port. If that does it work, if you have errors
that might be caused by that, put the adapter on it and plug it into
a PS/2 part.

There probably are no other concerns.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 10:48:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

jimbo wrote:
> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter that
> converts it to PS/2.

I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.

Perhaps a recent USB mouse has some improvements to make this a
non-issue, but this was surely the case with my MX500 and GA-7DXR+
motherboard.

--
-WD
May 24, 2005 10:48:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:48:16 -0400, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:


>I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
>port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.

OK, using third party software you can do that but by default the
sampling rate of a USB mouse is 125 and a PS/2 port is something like
40. But I just read here that cpu usage is higher for USB mouse
compared to PS/2 so if you want to save cpu cycles maybe PS/2 is
better. I read that here.
http://www.devhardware.com/forums/archive/t-31622/USB-o...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 11:26:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants jimbo
<jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote :

>Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
>connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
>that converts it to PS/2.
>
>Thanks, jimbo

For older O/S users like win95/98 a USB mouse won't usually work in
dos or Safemode unless the mother board supports legacy dos mode and
the correct drivers are installed and is usually hit-and-miss.This is
a disadvantage when trouble shooting.

USB mice by default have a better refresh rate usually above 100Hz
and up to 200Hz so may be a bit smoother and don't require a specific
IRQ although this is less of an issue these days with the advent of
APIC
http://www.buildorbuy.org/irqmap.html
on the newer O/S.

HTH :) 



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 12:44:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Fisher wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:48:16 -0400, Will Dormann
> <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>
>
>>I've found that a mouse is more responsive when plugged into the PS/2
>>port. The PS/2 port can be clocked up to 200Hz for silky smooth sampling.
>
>
> OK, using third party software you can do that but by default the
> sampling rate of a USB mouse is 125 and a PS/2 port is something like
> 40. But I just read here that cpu usage is higher for USB mouse
> compared to PS/2 so if you want to save cpu cycles maybe PS/2 is
> better. I read that here.
> http://www.devhardware.com/forums/archive/t-31622/USB-o...


Not 3rd party software, but the Logitech drivers that come with the
mouse in my case. Lower CPU usage and higher sample rate with PS2...
sounds like a winner to me. :) 

--
-WD
May 25, 2005 12:44:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:44:45 -0400, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Lower CPU usage and higher sample rate with PS2...
> sounds like a winner to me. :) 

Yea, I think you are onto something. Maybe I'll switch mine back to
PS/2.
May 25, 2005 4:30:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:50:28 -0700, jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote:

>Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
>connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
>that converts it to PS/2.
>
>Thanks, jimbo

There is NO advantage at all - though most mice these days have USB connectors
standard, with PS2 connectors 2ndary.

There *IS* one advantage to keeping the PS2 connector in place - and that is
that the USB port stays 100% open for things that need it.

Ubergamers may claim that the PS/2s lower sampling rate can cause a player to
lose a nanosecond here or there when their "lives" are at stake. If you *are*
that hyper, by all means, devote an entire USB 2 block controller with a PCI-EX
pipe of its own to a super-slock micro-mini-shift-sensitive control board, ditto
keyboard, gamepad and joystick.

I'd prefer to have a life, and personally use only Unicomp keyboards (made from
the same molds and parts used to make IBM's classic ergometric keuboards of the
first machines called "PS/2" - designed after the Selectric typewriter, and a
logitec Thumb Trackball, which is currently one of seven devices in my USB2
controller, just because it's easier to wire it that way! (for flight sims I
even have an old Logitech joystick wired to the same 7-way port under a layer of
dust, I thin -thud, found it-k
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 5:38:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

jimbo wrote:
> jimbo wrote:
>
>> Is there any advantage for a USB connection over the standard PS/2
>> connection for a mouse? Mine has the USB connection and an adapter
>> that converts it to PS/2.
>>
>> Thanks, jimbo
>
>
> Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I was fooling around with a Debian
> 3.0 r5 installation and the USB mouse wouldn't work.

Did you have usb support enabled in the BIOS?

> I had a devil of a
> time getting Debian installed. I couldn't get X Window to work. Then on
> one try, X Window did work but the mouse didn't. Then I could never get
> X Window to work again. So I changed to the PS/2 mouse and made a change
> to the video driver and to which kernel to install and finally got a
> working installation of Debian.
>
> Then I started to wonder about what I might be giving up on other OSs by
> using the PS/2 port.
>
> Thanks again, jimbo


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
!