My 'New' OEM CPU?

Hi,

I recently purchased an OEM 478-pin Intel P4 CPU from eBay, which was
described as being 'New'.

However, when I look (with my poor eyes using a magnifying glass) at the top
of the CPU, there are tiny scratches, and a fine square outline as though a
heatsink had previously been attached.

Am I right to be sceptical about the claim that the CPU is 'New', or are
such marks possible during manufacture?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Colin
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    if the world wasn't a greedy place, ebay would be a great venue.
    I guess it would be a matter of the definition of 'new'? as in 'mounted but
    never powered up maybe'?

    "News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently purchased an OEM 478-pin Intel P4 CPU from eBay, which was
    > described as being 'New'.
    >
    > However, when I look (with my poor eyes using a magnifying glass) at the
    top
    > of the CPU, there are tiny scratches, and a fine square outline as though
    > heatsink had previously been attached.
    >
    > Am I right to be sceptical about the claim that the CPU is 'New', or are
    > such marks possible during manufacture?
    >
    > Any thoughts appreciated.
    >
    > Colin

    It's used. As is much of the computer equipment sold as new on ebay.

    --
    DaveW

    "News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently purchased an OEM 478-pin Intel P4 CPU from eBay, which was
    > described as being 'New'.
    >
    > However, when I look (with my poor eyes using a magnifying glass) at the
    > top
    > of the CPU, there are tiny scratches, and a fine square outline as though
    > heatsink had previously been attached.
    >
    > Am I right to be sceptical about the claim that the CPU is 'New', or are
    > such marks possible during manufacture?
    >
    > Any thoughts appreciated.
    >
    > Colin

    Thanks for the input.

    Colin

    JAD wrote:
    > if the world wasn't a greedy place, ebay would be a great venue.
    > I guess it would be a matter of the definition of 'new'? as in 'mounted but
    > never powered up maybe'?

    If the thermal pad melted to give the faint outline described, it was
    powered up. It's used, not new. If he's already given positive feedback,
    give him a chance to explain, and if it's inadequate leave negative
    feedback.

    > "News Group" <news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I recently purchased an OEM 478-pin Intel P4 CPU from eBay, which was
    >>described as being 'New'.
    >>
    >>However, when I look (with my poor eyes using a magnifying glass) at the
    >
    > top
    >
    >>of the CPU, there are tiny scratches, and a fine square outline as though

    >>heatsink had previously been attached.
    >>
    >>Am I right to be sceptical about the claim that the CPU is 'New', or are
    >>such marks possible during manufacture?
    >>
    >>Any thoughts appreciated.
    >>
    >>Colin

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/