questions about home built pc

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Last week I built my first home-made pc, with a Antec Sonata case and
MSI K8N Neo Platinum AMD64 754 socket motherboard.

The process went rather smoothly. But I do have a couple issues.

First, the MSI motherboard has 5 pci slots, one of them is an orange
colored dedicated communication slot, located at the bottom of the
motherboard, my concern is that what's the difference between this
'dedicated slot' and other pci slots. Does it have an edge over
other pci channels by inserting wi-fi network card here?

2nd issue is that Antec case comes with two USB front panel jack. But
the USB header connector inside the case isn't compatible with the
USB header located on the MSI motherboard. Namely, pin 10 (ground) on
the Antec usb connector is not empty, it has a thin black wire in it.
While the pin10 of the D-bracket USB header comes with MSI motherboard
is empty. So the front USB port doesn't work. I called Antec tech
support and it seems that they are aware of this issue. They agreed to
send me another USB board to be compatible with the motherboard.
Question here is that does USB header has a standard? I don't know
which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

thanks for the link

i tried that, per the instruction from Antec tech support. it worked
for a brief moment, then died out. a closer look at the difference
between MSI's USB D-bracket and Antect USB header shows the wiring are
different, too. with colored wires goes into different pins between
those two, i don't want to try something fancy to fry my motherboard.
will wait for Antec delivery of USB board...

"Xiongnu" <xiongnu@my-deja.com> wrote:

> 2nd issue is that Antec case comes with two USB front panel
> jack. But the USB header connector inside the case isn't
> compatible with the USB header located on the MSI motherboard.
> Namely, pin 10 (ground) on the Antec usb connector is not empty,
> it has a thin black wire in it. While the pin10 of the D-bracket
> USB header comes with MSI motherboard is empty. So the front
> USB port doesn't work. I called Antec tech support and it seems
> that they are aware of this issue. They agreed to send me
> another USB board to be compatible with the motherboard.
> Question here is that does USB header has a standard? I don't
> know which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec.

Not the solution, but my MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR mates perfectly with
my Antec SLK3700AMB front panel USB connector.

Good luck.

On 24 May 2005 09:50:31 -0700 If I have seen farther it is because I
have stood on the shoulder of giants "Xiongnu" <xiongnu@my-deja.com>
wrote :

>Last week I built my first home-made pc, with a Antec Sonata case and
>MSI K8N Neo Platinum AMD64 754 socket motherboard.
>
>The process went rather smoothly. But I do have a couple issues.
>
>First, the MSI motherboard has 5 pci slots, one of them is an orange
>colored dedicated communication slot, located at the bottom of the
>motherboard, my concern is that what's the difference between this
>'dedicated slot' and other pci slots. Does it have an edge over
>other pci channels by inserting wi-fi network card here?
>
>2nd issue is that Antec case comes with two USB front panel jack. But
>the USB header connector inside the case isn't compatible with the
>USB header located on the MSI motherboard. Namely, pin 10 (ground) on
>the Antec usb connector is not empty, it has a thin black wire in it.
>While the pin10 of the D-bracket USB header comes with MSI motherboard
>is empty. So the front USB port doesn't work. I called Antec tech
>support and it seems that they are aware of this issue. They agreed to
>send me another USB board to be compatible with the motherboard.
>Question here is that does USB header has a standard? I don't know
>which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec.

Can't see anything mentioned on here,
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb
but it does look pretty :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,

"Xiongnu" <xiongnu@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Last week I built my first home-made pc, with a Antec Sonata case and
> MSI K8N Neo Platinum AMD64 754 socket motherboard.
>
> The process went rather smoothly. But I do have a couple issues.
>
> First, the MSI motherboard has 5 pci slots, one of them is an orange
> colored dedicated communication slot, located at the bottom of the
> motherboard, my concern is that what's the difference between this
> 'dedicated slot' and other pci slots. Does it have an edge over
> other pci channels by inserting wi-fi network card here?
>
> 2nd issue is that Antec case comes with two USB front panel jack. But
> the USB header connector inside the case isn't compatible with the
> USB header located on the MSI motherboard. Namely, pin 10 (ground) on
> the Antec usb connector is not empty, it has a thin black wire in it.
> While the pin10 of the D-bracket USB header comes with MSI motherboard
> is empty. So the front USB port doesn't work. I called Antec tech
> support and it seems that they are aware of this issue. They agreed to
> send me another USB board to be compatible with the motherboard.
> Question here is that does USB header has a standard? I don't know
> which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec.

http://www.antec.com/us/support_roductInfo_FAQ.php?Qnumber=9&FAQno=15

Judder

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

oh, boy, another problem

the lower 5.25 inch drive bay on Antec Sonata case is pretty much
useless for MSI motherboard. i tried to fit my dvd-rom into that bay,
but it won't go all the way in because it's pushed against the DIMM
memory slot on the motherboard. this really got me perplexted as
which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec, since both claim to
be ATX standard...

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

> oh, boy, another problem
>
> the lower 5.25 inch drive bay on Antec Sonata case is pretty much
> useless for MSI motherboard. i tried to fit my dvd-rom into that bay,
> but it won't go all the way in because it's pushed against the DIMM
> memory slot on the motherboard. this really got me perplexted as
> which manufacture is at fault here, MSI or Antec, since both claim to
> be ATX standard...

The answer is "Yes" since there's several subsets of the ATX
standard.

The MB is using an extended ATX footprint, and the case doesn't
allow for the lower bay to be used on an extended footprint.

RwP