Power supply problem

Recently my computer sometimes won't boot up. The fans run, including the
CPU fan, but nothing appears on the monitor. Sometimes I have to try several
times before it boots up okay.

I tried:
-- Different monitor
-- Different video card
-- Different video card slot
-- Cleared CMOS settings with motherboard jumper
-- Different motherboard (I recently replaced the motherboard with a later
version of the same board to fix a different problem. The problem I'm
describing here happened with both motherboards.)

Same problem in all cases.

I began to suspect the power supply, because sometimes when it wouldn't boot
up, a strange, sort of crackly sound came from the power supply, which I
don't recall ever hearing when it booted up okay.

So I went and got an Antec SL350 power supply. But the same problem happens,
except for the strange sound -- the fans start running but nothing ever
appears on the monitor. Unlike with my old power supply, it never seems to
boot up okay no matter how many times I try.

I'm using that old power supply at the moment, but I don't trust it --
sometimes I have to try several times before it boots up okay -- and would
prefer to get the Antec SL350 working.

Any suggestions?

Motherboard:
Abit KT7A-Raid
Old Power Supply, which came with the case:
300W Power Max FSP300-60BT
New Power Supply that I'm trying to use:
Antec SL350
Video Card:
ATI Radeon 8500 LE

Many Thanks,

Greg
3 answers Last reply
More about power supply problem

    Suspecting something and then wildly swapping parts is
    called shotgunning. So many reasons could explain your
    problem. And without numbers, then others can only further
    wildly speculate. For example, if it was due to a bad
    capacitor, then so what? How would you know?

    You know after first obtaining specific information - the
    numbers. Summarizes of how this is accomplished are provided
    below. In your case, numbers for red, orange, yellow, gray,
    green, and purple wires are required when the system is not
    powered, when the system has powered up properly, and when
    system does not respond to the power switch. Those numbers
    may tell you little. But those same numbers attract others
    who really know how computers work; people who post only when
    something definitive is worth posting:
    "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
    Jan 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2t69q
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

    If those numbers confirm power supply 'system' integrity,
    then move on to other 'usual suspects'. Numbers either
    condemn or exonerate the suspected parts - without swapping
    anything.

    "Greg Lovern" <gregl@NOSPAMgregl.net> wrote in message
    > Recently my computer sometimes won't boot up. The fans run, including the
    > CPU fan, but nothing appears on the monitor. Sometimes I have to try
    several
    > times before it boots up okay.
    >
    > I tried:
    > -- Different monitor
    > -- Different video card
    > -- Different video card slot
    > -- Cleared CMOS settings with motherboard jumper
    > -- Different motherboard (I recently replaced the motherboard with a
    later
    > version of the same board to fix a different problem. The problem I'm
    > describing here happened with both motherboards.)
    >
    > Same problem in all cases.
    >
    > I began to suspect the power supply, because sometimes when it wouldn't
    boot
    > up, a strange, sort of crackly sound came from the power supply, which I
    > don't recall ever hearing when it booted up okay.
    >
    > So I went and got an Antec SL350 power supply. But the same problem
    happens,
    > except for the strange sound -- the fans start running but nothing ever
    > appears on the monitor. Unlike with my old power supply, it never seems to
    > boot up okay no matter how many times I try.
    >
    > I'm using that old power supply at the moment, but I don't trust it --
    > sometimes I have to try several times before it boots up okay -- and would
    > prefer to get the Antec SL350 working.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Motherboard:
    > Abit KT7A-Raid
    > Old Power Supply, which came with the case:
    > 300W Power Max FSP300-60BT
    > New Power Supply that I'm trying to use:
    > Antec SL350
    > Video Card:
    > ATI Radeon 8500 LE
    >

    > Many Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

    If you remove the memory, does it beep? If not, could be CPU or you have
    2 faulty motherboards. If does beep, faulty memory. Best to test with all
    other devices and adapters disconnected.

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 03:39:34 -0700, "Greg Lovern"
    <gregl@NOSPAMgregl.net> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Recently my computer sometimes won't boot up. The fans run, including the
    >CPU fan, but nothing appears on the monitor. Sometimes I have to try several
    >times before it boots up okay.
    >Motherboard:
    > Abit KT7A-Raid

    Check for bad capacitors on the motherboard.

    Stephen

Homebuilt Power Supplies Motherboards Systems