How do you remove old WINS entries?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

This is driving us crazy. Our WINS database shows servers that haven't been
in existence in three years. These servers show entries that expired years
ago. We've tried deleting the entries and deleting the owner, we've tried
tombstoning the entries and then deleting the owners, we've scavenged each
time and the darn servers and entries keep coming back immediately!

We have a master server and it has push/pull with all of the other ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Are they coming from the replication partners? You could delete the database
completely and have it rebuild. WINS is dynamic so it should rebuild the
correct entries within a few hours. In order to do this you must stop the
WINS service, go into winnt\system32\wins and delete the entire contents of
this folder. (You could just move the contents in case you want to put it
back.)

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Ray" <reply_in@newsgroup.only> wrote in message
> This is driving us crazy. Our WINS database shows servers that haven't
been
> in existence in three years. These servers show entries that expired years
> ago. We've tried deleting the entries and deleting the owner, we've tried
> tombstoning the entries and then deleting the owners, we've scavenged each
> time and the darn servers and entries keep coming back immediately!
>
> We have a master server and it has push/pull with all of the other ones.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

How could we tell where they are coming from, Scott?

Ray