WPA Key in registry

I have a client who is running WPA using TKIP via Foundry access points.

When they setup a user to use it, everything works fine. We are using a
passphrase for WPA.

However when we want to disable the user from getting on, and turn WPA off
on their PC, it must store the passphrase in the registry. When we
re-enable it on the PC, it automatically fills in the WPA key.

Since this is a highly secure environment, we'd like to know how to
completely remove the passphrase from the registry (or whereever Windows is
keeping it).

I believe this is mostly an XP issue.

We've tried disabling Wireless Zero Configuration service, but that didn't
seem to do it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Scott Friedman

"Scott J. Friedman" wrote:
> I have a client who is running WPA using TKIP via Foundry access points.
>
> When they setup a user to use it, everything works fine. We are using a
> passphrase for WPA.
>
> However when we want to disable the user from getting on, and turn WPA off
> on their PC, it must store the passphrase in the registry. When we
> re-enable it on the PC, it automatically fills in the WPA key.
>
> Since this is a highly secure environment, we'd like to know how to
> completely remove the passphrase from the registry (or whereever Windows is
> keeping it).
>
> I believe this is mostly an XP issue.
>
> We've tried disabling Wireless Zero Configuration service, but that didn't
> seem to do it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Scott Friedman

Are they using pure Windows or some 3rd party wireless software for WPA?
For Windows, the registry key is well known.
However if you delete it, when the clients need to get on the network you'll
have to configure them again.

--PA

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I'm just guessing here, but I assume if it is in the registry, it is
encrypted so you can't find it. You could possibly delete the profile
(which it may not let you), or you could enter another phrase that would not
work.

You could MAC filtering to keep a certain computer out, or block an address
or maybe user.

Clark

"Scott J. Friedman" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have a client who is running WPA using TKIP via Foundry access points.
>
> When they setup a user to use it, everything works fine. We are using a
> passphrase for WPA.
>
> However when we want to disable the user from getting on, and turn WPA off
> on their PC, it must store the passphrase in the registry. When we
> re-enable it on the PC, it automatically fills in the WPA key.
>
> Since this is a highly secure environment, we'd like to know how to
> completely remove the passphrase from the registry (or whereever Windows
> is
> keeping it).
>
> I believe this is mostly an XP issue.
>
> We've tried disabling Wireless Zero Configuration service, but that didn't
> seem to do it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Scott Friedman

"Well known" ?

Can you point me in a direction where it might be?

Thanks
Scott

"Scott J. Friedman" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message news:OBPUDRPmFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Well known" ?
>
> Can you point me in a direction where it might be?
>
> Thanks
> Scott

Gladly.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces

--PA