microATX board in ATx case?

THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a normal
case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?
8 answers Last reply
More about microatx board case

    "LionOfTheSouth" <lion_of_the_north@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
    > want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a normal
    > case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?

    it will fit just fine.
    you'll just have a little unused case room

    > THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
    > want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a normal
    > case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?

    Why would you want to buy a board that is going to limit your
    options, then put it into a case that would hold a full-sized
    board? The only value of a micro ATX is that it will fit into a
    small case.

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
    >> want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a
    >> normal
    >> case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?
    >
    > Why would you want to buy a board that is going to limit your options,
    > then put it into a case that would hold a full-sized board? The only value
    > of a micro ATX is that it will fit into a small case.

    Another benefit of a micro ATX motherboard is that they are typically
    less expensive than a full size ATX one.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    >>> THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
    >>> want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a normal
    >>> case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?
    >>

    >> Why would you want to buy a board that is going to limit your options, then put it into a case that would hold a full-sized board? The only value of a micro ATX is that it will fit into a small case.
    >

    > Another benefit of a micro ATX motherboard is that they are typically
    > less expensive than a full size ATX one.

    Boards are so cheap, it doesn't make sense to me. You limit your
    upgrade potential for the sake of $20 or $30. If there was already
    a micro case kicking around, sure, get a cheap micro board to put
    into it for a compact half-arsed system. But if you're planning on
    using a full-sized case, might as well get a full-sized board.

    > Boards are so cheap, it doesn't make sense to me. You limit your upgrade
    > potential for the sake of $20 or $30. If there was already a micro case
    > kicking around, sure, get a cheap micro board to put into it for a
    > compact half-arsed system. But if you're planning on using a full-sized
    > case, might as well get a full-sized board.

    Or broadening your horizons by giving you the option of changing to a
    smaller case in the future?

    Why half arsed? If he's decided that all he needs are the options that
    are available on the smaller form factored board then why would he go
    for a larger one with things he doesnt need?

    Sandi

    > Why half arsed? If he's decided that all he needs are the options that are available on the smaller form factored board then why would he go for a larger one with things he doesnt need?

    Yeah, but he's going to put it in a full-sized case. He's going to
    have all this space at the bottom with nothing in it. It's like
    putting a Volkswagon engine in a Cadillac.

    "KC Computers" <kc@kc-computers.com> wrote in message

    > "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >>> THis is probably a silly question ,but I need to know before ordering. I
    >>> want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX , will this fit OK into a
    >>> normal
    >>> case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?
    >>
    >> Why would you want to buy a board that is going to limit your options,
    >> then put it into a case that would hold a full-sized board? The only
    >> value of a micro ATX is that it will fit into a small case.
    >
    > Another benefit of a micro ATX motherboard is that they are typically
    > less expensive than a full size ATX one.
    >

    > ---
    > Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    > E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    > Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    Plus, for those who don't need a fire-breathing gaming rig, the mATX boards
    usually come integrated with everything but an onboard coffee maker. For a
    no-hassle system with built-in video, audio, LAN, SATA, RAID, USB, you can't
    beat them for the price.

    "Hackworth2" wrote:
    > "KC Computers" <kc@kc-computers.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >   >>> THis is probably a silly question ,but I need
    > to know before ordering. I
    >   >>> want to buy a motherboard .It is mcro ATX ,
    > will this fit OK into a
    >   >>> normal
    >   >>> case? Or are they for the smaller cases only?
    >  >>
    >  >> Why would you want to buy a board that is going to
    > limit your options,
    >  >> then put it into a case that would hold a full-sized
    > board? The only
    >  >> value of a micro ATX is that it will fit into a small
    > case.
    > >
    > > Another benefit of a micro ATX motherboard is that they are
    > typically
    > > less expensive than a full size ATX one.
    > >

    > > ---
    > > Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    > > E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    > > Internet dealer since 1991!!! See
    > WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
    >

    > Plus, for those who don't need a fire-breathing gaming rig,
    > the mATX boards
    > usually come integrated with everything but an onboard coffee
    > maker. For a
    > no-hassle system with built-in video, audio, LAN, SATA, RAID,
    > USB, you can't
    > beat them for the price.

    Yeah, I wanted to save money too. I got an Asus A7V600-X (socket A)
    with a Duron 1.8 GHz. Yeah, it’s full size but I could have ordered a
    smaller one. I got a Ti4200 real cheap still brand new. But an
    Enermax noisetaker 420 watt power supply. Just found out the Geforce
    7800 will require 400 watts and 26A on the 12+V rail. My power supply
    has a total of 29A (dual 18A = 29A?, that’s what I understood anyway).
    The power supply is also PCI-E ready and SATA ready. So, I’m all set
    for an upgrade next year or the next. The socket 939 might accomodate
    a dual core processor but the next socket with 1207 pins may
    accomodate a multi core as well as dual core. So, I might wait for a
    Sempron dual core for the 1207 pin mobo and a Geforce 7200 when they
    get cheap. :)

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-microATX-board-ATx-case-ftopict56633.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=285355

Homebuilt Hardware Cases ATX Systems