"plain" high quality cases wanted..

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2005 5:32:00 AM

I'm thinking about building a new PC, and want a nice, functional case
with 4-5 5-1/4 bays, no-tools opening, and no frills like windows,
doors, chrome, and, last but not least, front interface connectors
(USB, etc) near the top of the tower, where I can reach them, not at
the bottom, on the floor.

All I see in the stores lately are highly "decorated" cases. with the
USB copnnectors on the bottom. (Do they expect people to use these on
the desktop?)

Do plain, closed, RF-sealed cases still exist?

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2005 5:40:27 AM

Doug Warner wrote:
> I'm thinking about building a new PC, and want a nice, functional case
> with 4-5 5-1/4 bays, no-tools opening, and no frills like windows,
> doors, chrome, and, last but not least, front interface connectors
> (USB, etc) near the top of the tower, where I can reach them, not at
> the bottom, on the floor.
>
> All I see in the stores lately are highly "decorated" cases. with the
> USB copnnectors on the bottom. (Do they expect people to use these on
> the desktop?)
>
> Do plain, closed, RF-sealed cases still exist?
>
> To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
> Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

My case is an AOpen, and it's pretty plain. The only problem is that
the USB connectors are on the bottom though. It looks plain from the
outside, but it supports drive rails which is quite nice. The only
thing with drive rails is that they generally take longer to install
because you need to screw the rails on, and then put the drive in. You
can just screw the drives in without the rails though.

I think the Antec ones look quite plain too, and they usually have a
good PSU.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2005 1:58:20 PM

Doug Warner wrote:

> I'm thinking about building a new PC, and want a nice, functional case
> with 4-5 5-1/4 bays, no-tools opening, and no frills like windows,
> doors, chrome, and, last but not least, front interface connectors
> (USB, etc) near the top of the tower, where I can reach them, not at
> the bottom, on the floor.
>
> All I see in the stores lately are highly "decorated" cases. with the
> USB copnnectors on the bottom. (Do they expect people to use these on
> the desktop?)
>
> Do plain, closed, RF-sealed cases still exist?

Antec Sonata?

--

Registered Linux user #378193
a b B Homebuilt system

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:32:00 -0400, Doug Warner wrote:

> I'm thinking about building a new PC, and want a nice, functional case
> with 4-5 5-1/4 bays, no-tools opening, and no frills like windows,
> doors, chrome, and, last but not least, front interface connectors
> (USB, etc) near the top of the tower, where I can reach them, not at
> the bottom, on the floor.
>
> All I see in the stores lately are highly "decorated" cases. with the
> USB copnnectors on the bottom. (Do they expect people to use these on
> the desktop?)
>
> Do plain, closed, RF-sealed cases still exist?
>
> To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
> Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

You might want to look at the Evercase 4252 & 4292 series. These have
most of what you list, are quite well built, use locking mechanisms for
drive retention (tool-less and much better than rails), etc. They are
sold at NewEgg (and other places, no doubt). Accessories are available
directly from Evercase.

The front usb connectors are about a third the way up on the case, not on
top, sorry :-(

Andy
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2005 5:01:46 AM

"Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message

I'm thinking about building a new PC, and want a nice, functional case
with 4-5 5-1/4 bays, no-tools opening, and no frills like windows,
doors, chrome, and, last but not least, front interface connectors
(USB, etc) near the top of the tower, where I can reach them, not at
the bottom, on the floor.

All I see in the stores lately are highly "decorated" cases. with the
USB copnnectors on the bottom. (Do they expect people to use these on
the desktop?)
Thermaltake and Cooler Master each make a case that has the I/O connectors
at the top of the case
!