Question about connecting 2 Cable/DSL routers

JohnBron

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hello,

I am new to 802.11b. Will I have any problems trying to setup a wireless network with nothing but 2 wireless cable/dsl routers? I have one with dsl and my brother is moving next door. He got a good deal on another cable/dsl router. Do I have to use a pci or usb wireless adaptor or am I ok with just the 2 routers? Thanks in advance for any replies.

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
802.11b SOHO routers don't bridge. Even if they did you'd run into some hefty configuration issues. If you want to try to make it work you'll need a third device to act as a workgroup bridge. Then you could disable his DHCP server. The workgroup bridge would associate to your router and patch into the switch on his device with a X-over cable. Actually you could probably use a straight through as most ports these days are auto-detect. I assume your trying to share your broadband connection. If he actually uses his router to distribute his own broadband connection then you'd need two extra devices. Two bridges. Then you'd have to be on the same network subnet, but have your own routers as your respective gateway IP's.

JohnBron

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks for the info. That's what I was starting to worry about. He was able to return his router and pick up a pci card that will work just fine. The only reason we were trying to get that to work was that he was getting quite a deal on the router. He'll actually pay $8 more for just the pci card. But in the long run it will be the way to go. Thanks again.