SATA upgrade for Abit KT7

Gorf

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I have an old Abit KT7 that I would love to replace but I just don't
have the money to do it the way I want to.

Well, my hard drive is suffering from the click of death so it's only a
matter of time before I need to buy a new one. I could get a large
capaticity ATA-1XX drive and have something like my current setup with
more storage.

However, I was wondering about the feasability of getting an SATA
controller with an SATA drive for similar storage as I currently have
with much better performance (indeed my HD is a bottleneck on my system).

Has anyone added SATA as a primary drive to a system that didn't
originally support SATA? Any problems I should be aware of prior to
trying this? I was planning on adding a PCI controller (Promise
SATAII150 TX4) and a Raptor (WD740GD) with the hope that if I upgrade in
the next year or two I can still buy another Raptor and run them in RAID.

I have an Antec Sonata with a "TruePower 380W ATX12V" power supply. Do
I need adapters to connect the Raptor to my PS?

Any other issues? Any recommendations on a different controller? Is
this just a bad idea? Thanks!

--
gorf

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:36:42 +0000, gorf wrote:

> I have an old Abit KT7 that I would love to replace but I just don't
> have the money to do it the way I want to.
>
> Well, my hard drive is suffering from the click of death so it's only a
> matter of time before I need to buy a new one. I could get a large
> capaticity ATA-1XX drive and have something like my current setup with
> more storage.
>
> However, I was wondering about the feasability of getting an SATA
> controller with an SATA drive for similar storage as I currently have
> with much better performance (indeed my HD is a bottleneck on my system).
>
> Has anyone added SATA as a primary drive to a system that didn't
> originally support SATA? Any problems I should be aware of prior to
> trying this? I was planning on adding a PCI controller (Promise
> SATAII150 TX4) and a Raptor (WD740GD) with the hope that if I upgrade in
> the next year or two I can still buy another Raptor and run them in RAID.
>
> I have an Antec Sonata with a "TruePower 380W ATX12V" power supply. Do
> I need adapters to connect the Raptor to my PS?
>
> Any other issues? Any recommendations on a different controller? Is
> this just a bad idea? Thanks!

I added a Silicon Image 3112 SATA controller to a Abit KT7A more than two
years ago. I had a Seagate 120gig hard drive hooked to it and later added
another Seagate 120 drive. It ran without problems in that computer for 14
months. The SATA drives went into a new computer I built last summer and
so did the controller. I say go for it.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:36:42 +0000, gorf wrote:

> I have an Antec Sonata with a "TruePower 380W ATX12V" power supply. Do
> I need adapters to connect the Raptor to my PS?

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Newegg has the adapter you need for $2.49 -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812104652
However, if you buy a retail drive, it will more than likely have a power
adapter included. The second SATA drive I bought was a bare drive and I
had to purchase the adapter.