Dell Dimension 8300 freeze-ups help

Hi
I have a virtually standard Dell Dimension 8300
It came with a HDD on IDE1 DVD/CD drive on IDE2
I added a second WD HDD on SATA (motherboard takes both) and I did this from
purchase so I cannot be sure of how this problem may or may not have been
before. I also added Logitech cordless desktop
When I use the DVD/CD drive I occasionally (and not infrequently) get 100%
freeze-ups.
Is there any glaring conflict with mixing IDE and SATA HDD's? I would assume
not as the DVD/CD drives are rarely SATA yet!
Any suggestions gratefully received
Thanks
David

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a virtually standard Dell Dimension 8300
> It came with a HDD on IDE1 DVD/CD drive on IDE2
> I added a second WD HDD on SATA (motherboard takes both) and I did this
from
> purchase so I cannot be sure of how this problem may or may not have been
> before. I also added Logitech cordless desktop
> When I use the DVD/CD drive I occasionally (and not infrequently) get 100%
> freeze-ups.
> Is there any glaring conflict with mixing IDE and SATA HDD's? I would
assume
> not as the DVD/CD drives are rarely SATA yet!
> Any suggestions gratefully received
> Thanks
> David
Please state the model of the 'DVD/CD' drive. Some makes / models of DVD-RW
drives have been found to be dodgy on Dell PCs, in particular the Philips
8601 / 8631 see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/179003
Graham

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I have a virtually standard Dell Dimension 8300
>> It came with a HDD on IDE1 DVD/CD drive on IDE2
>> I added a second WD HDD on SATA (motherboard takes both) and I did this
> from
>> purchase so I cannot be sure of how this problem may or may not have been
>> before. I also added Logitech cordless desktop
>> When I use the DVD/CD drive I occasionally (and not infrequently) get
>> 100%
>> freeze-ups.
>> Is there any glaring conflict with mixing IDE and SATA HDD's? I would
> assume
>> not as the DVD/CD drives are rarely SATA yet!
>> Any suggestions gratefully received
>> Thanks
>> David
> Please state the model of the 'DVD/CD' drive. Some makes / models of
> DVD-RW
> drives have been found to be dodgy on Dell PCs, in particular the Philips
> 8601 / 8631 see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/179003
> Graham

Thanks Graham
Its an NEC ND-1100A. I havent managed to locate any specific issues with
this model - unless you can direct me differently?
David

Winxp ?. Go to Admin Tools\Event Viewer. Click on each item. View errors,
dbl click them see what they tell you. best wishes..J

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a virtually standard Dell Dimension 8300
> It came with a HDD on IDE1 DVD/CD drive on IDE2
> I added a second WD HDD on SATA (motherboard takes both) and I did this
> from purchase so I cannot be sure of how this problem may or may not have
> been before. I also added Logitech cordless desktop
> When I use the DVD/CD drive I occasionally (and not infrequently) get 100%
> freeze-ups.
> Is there any glaring conflict with mixing IDE and SATA HDD's? I would
> assume not as the DVD/CD drives are rarely SATA yet!
> Any suggestions gratefully received
> Thanks
> David

JohnS

> It came with a HDD on IDE1

That's a good suspect. What are you doing with the SATA?
If you have the SATA as a Raid device, OK. But, if not,
then you are going to get access conflicts with anything
on IDE1. The conflicts are of the nature of "default
drives" for certain functions .. and IDE1 is the "default"
drive. Rule is .. if SATA in system, nothing on IDE1.

"old jon" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Winxp ?. Go to Admin Tools\Event Viewer. Click on each item. View errors,
> dbl click them see what they tell you. best wishes..J

Thanks Jon
I'm one step closer to resolving this now!
It states:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Date: 23/05/2005
Time: 19:36:49
User: N/A
Computer: ATKINSON
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.
I appreciate that this is probably the DVD drive BUT it may of course be one
of the others interfering!
Microsoft suggest a new cable! How do I find out which drive needs the new
cable?
I have an IDE HDD (IDE1), an IDE DVD/CD (IDE2) and a SATA HDD
Any ideas?
Thanks
David

A couple of options to consider. You could swap cable on IDE1 with cable on
IDE2 and test. After you`ve Unplugged and Replugged IDE2 plugs (all 3)and
test.
Next try unplugging the CD drive. And test again. What you are trying to do
is
pin the problem down. Best wishes..J

"johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message

>> It came with a HDD on IDE1
>
> That's a good suspect. What are you doing with the SATA?
> If you have the SATA as a Raid device, OK. But, if not,
> then you are going to get access conflicts with anything
> on IDE1. The conflicts are of the nature of "default
> drives" for certain functions .. and IDE1 is the "default"
> drive. Rule is .. if SATA in system, nothing on IDE1.

Is that right? I'm using the WD120Gb SATA as my primary and boot drive.
The old Hitachi 80Gb drive on the IDE1 is my backup/storage etc and is no
longer bootable