Difference between VIA KT400 and NVIDIA nforce chipset mot..

Hi.
I have to change Asus A7N8X motherboard /due to a problem with
disconnecting USB modem/
Tried everything but the motherboard swap!
So I can change like for like or try similar but with VIA chipset.
I wonder if there is significant difference between VIA KT400 and NVIDIA
nforce chipset
motherboards?
My computer use is mainly for internet, office, some image editing, no
gaming.
Thanks in advance
Peter
8 answers Last reply
More about difference kt400 nvidia nforce chipset

    You are going to swap out your mobo because a modem doesn't work?

    "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > I have to change Asus A7N8X motherboard /due to a problem with
    > disconnecting USB modem/
    > Tried everything but the motherboard swap!
    > So I can change like for like or try similar but with VIA chipset.
    > I wonder if there is significant difference between VIA KT400 and NVIDIA
    > nforce chipset
    > motherboards?
    > My computer use is mainly for internet, office, some image editing, no
    > gaming.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Peter

    What modem? Have you checked current drawn in Device Manager (WinXP)?
    Some USB modems draw more than 500mA and break the USB standard power limit.
    VIA chipsets have had problems with this in the past. Have you tried using a
    powered hub?
    Mike.

    As I said, I have tried everything including PCI USB cards, hubs, settings,
    diffrent modems, bios upgrade, only the mobo left...

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:05:41 +0100, "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote:

    >I wonder if there is significant difference between VIA KT400 and NVIDIA
    >nforce chipset motherboards?

    the last ones have much better real life memory performance ...
    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

    > As I said, I have tried everything including PCI USB cards, hubs,
    settings,
    > diffrent modems, bios upgrade, only the mobo left...
    >
    > "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote in message
    > >> Hi.
    > >> I have to change Asus A7N8X motherboard /due to a problem with
    > >> disconnecting USB modem/
    > >> Tried everything but the motherboard swap!
    > >> So I can change like for like or try similar but with VIA chipset.
    > >> I wonder if there is significant difference between VIA KT400 and
    NVIDIA
    > >> nforce chipset
    > >> motherboards?
    > >> My computer use is mainly for internet, office, some image editing, no
    > >> gaming.
    > >> Thanks in advance
    > >> Peter
    > >>
    > > What modem? Have you checked current drawn in Device Manager (WinXP)?
    > > Some USB modems draw more than 500mA and break the USB standard power
    > > limit.
    > > VIA chipsets have had problems with this in the past. Have you tried
    using
    > > powered hub?
    > > Mike.

    If you have same problem with PCI USB card, it may be your telephone
    line or ISP. Is this broadband or dialup?
    Mike.

    > "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote in message
    >> As I said, I have tried everything including PCI USB cards, hubs,
    > settings,
    >> diffrent modems, bios upgrade, only the mobo left...
    >>
    >> "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote in message
    > NVIDIA
    >> >>
    >> > What modem? Have you checked current drawn in Device Manager
    >> > (WinXP)?
    >> > Some USB modems draw more than 500mA and break the USB standard power
    >> > limit.
    >> > VIA chipsets have had problems with this in the past. Have you tried
    > using
    >> > powered hub?
    >> > Mike.
    >> >
    > If you have same problem with PCI USB card, it may be your telephone
    > line or ISP. Is this broadband or dialup?
    > Mike.

    Hi Mike
    It is broadband. I get "usb disconnected" so it the moterboard disconnects
    the modem /even via hub or pci card/
    from the computer not the phone line. Looks like another mobo
    peter

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I have to change Asus A7N8X motherboard /due to a problem with
    > disconnecting USB modem/
    > Tried everything but the motherboard swap!
    > So I can change like for like or try similar but with VIA chipset.
    > I wonder if there is significant difference between VIA KT400 and NVIDIA
    > nforce chipset
    > motherboards?
    > My computer use is mainly for internet, office, some image editing, no
    > gaming.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Peter

    I understand your frustration but, frankly, it is more likely to be a
    modem/driver/telecomms issue or a USB issue than motherboard trouble.
    If you post more info, maybe folks here can help with that. One
    suggestion is to make sure you don't connect the modem to a hub.

    In any case, who would want to swap an Nforce board for KT400?

    In your shoes, if I were going to throw some money at the problem, I'd
    be most likely to buy another modem, or maybe a USB card.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0522-11, 03/06/2005
    Tested on: 03/06/2005 17:22:29

    > "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter" <peter@softho.n> wrote in message
    >>> As I said, I have tried everything including PCI USB cards, hubs,
    >> settings,
    >>> diffrent modems, bios upgrade, only the mobo left...
    >>>
    >>> "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> NVIDIA

    >> using
    >>> >
    >> If you have same problem with PCI USB card, it may be your telephone
    >> line or ISP. Is this broadband or dialup?
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > Hi Mike
    > It is broadband. I get "usb disconnected" so it the moterboard disconnects
    > the modem /even via hub or pci card/
    > from the computer not the phone line. Looks like another mobo
    > peter

    Perhaps you could try a $5 ethernet network card with a suitable modem, and
    forget about the USB modem port. Many broadband modems include Ethernet
    connections, and a few modems have both USB and Ethernet ports.

    Hate to swap out a motherboard, especially if it would downgrade the system,
    and most especially if it is not certain to fix your USB-modem problem.
    KT400 can change mobile cpu multipliers on the fly with software (which
    would lock up an NForce chipset board). The NForce chipsets have better
    memory throughput, fsb adjustability, and overall performance.

Homebuilt Chipsets Motherboards Nvidia Systems