Windows NT PDC To Windows 2003 Domain

Here's my situation.

Domain A is a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain.

Domain B is a Windows NT Domain with 1 PDC.

Would it be possible to upgrade the box in Domain B to 2003, then downgrade it to a member server in Domain A? User ID's aren't important, there are very few users left in Domain B. The main concern is applications that reside on the server in Domain B.

Double posted..... Sorry for the inconvenance!

"bfh" wrote:

> Here's my situation.
>
> Domain A is a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain.
>
> Domain B is a Windows NT Domain with 1 PDC.
>
> Would it be possible to upgrade the box in Domain B to 2003, then downgrade it to a member server in Domain A? User ID's aren't important, there are very few users left in Domain B. The main concern is applications that reside on the server in Domain B.

In news:0302386E-2035-4FF6-94D2-571D54525566@microsoft.com,
bfh <bfh@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Here's my situation.
>
> Domain A is a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain.
>
> Domain B is a Windows NT Domain with 1 PDC.
>
> Would it be possible to upgrade the box in Domain B to 2003, then
> downgrade it to a member server in Domain A? User ID's aren't
> important, there are very few users left in Domain B. The main
> concern is applications that reside on the server in Domain B.

When you upgrade the NT4 to Win2k3 the domain accounts are converted to
local accounts and it will become a member of the NT4 domain.
At that point you can DCPROMO it to a DC in its own domain _or_ disjoin it
from the NT4 domain and join it to Domain A.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]