HP Pavilion

I need some advice. I am very computer literate but dealing with HP
is driving me crazy. I have an HP Pavilion ZT1195 notebook computer.
One day the hard drive started making clicking noises. So I powered
it down and put the exact brand and type of hard drive back into it
(travelstar 40GB). The BIOS refused to see the drive so I upgraded
the BIOS and still no luck. I pop in my HP Recovery CDs and still no
luck. If I put the drive into my Compaq Evo notebook and then try the
Recovery CDs everything is fine. Then I try to put the drive back
into the HP Pavilion and it still cant detect the hard drive. Does
it sound like a hard rive controller problem.?

Joe

Philo

JoeGlobal wrote:

> I need some advice. I am very computer literate but dealing with HP
> is driving me crazy. I have an HP Pavilion ZT1195 notebook computer.
> One day the hard drive started making clicking noises.

if so, the drive is about to go

> So I powered
> it down and put the exact brand and type of hard drive back into it
> (travelstar 40GB). The BIOS refused to see the drive
so that drive must be dead

jad

well if we go by your exact words the HP has a controller problem. I am not
sure if all Laptops have a bios reset by I would try and see if you have
one. Does the bios have an AUTO setting for HD discovery?

"JoeGlobal" <joeglobal@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I need some advice. I am very computer literate but dealing with HP
> is driving me crazy. I have an HP Pavilion ZT1195 notebook computer.
> One day the hard drive started making clicking noises. So I powered
> it down and put the exact brand and type of hard drive back into it
> (travelstar 40GB). The BIOS refused to see the drive so I upgraded
> the BIOS and still no luck. I pop in my HP Recovery CDs and still no
> luck. If I put the drive into my Compaq Evo notebook and then try the
> Recovery CDs everything is fine. Then I try to put the drive back
> into the HP Pavilion and it still cant detect the hard drive. Does
> it sound like a hard rive controller problem.?
>
> Joe

BigJim

If it is the controller you may be able to use a USB drive if your systems
permits it.

philo wrote:

> JoeGlobal wrote:
>

>>I need some advice. I am very computer literate but dealing with HP
>>is driving me crazy. I have an HP Pavilion ZT1195 notebook computer.
>> One day the hard drive started making clicking noises.
>

> if so, the drive is about to go
>

>> So I powered
>>it down and put the exact brand and type of hard drive back into it
>>(travelstar 40GB). The BIOS refused to see the drive
>
> so that drive must be dead

Seeing as you verified that drive on a different machine, it does sound
as though the controller is the problem. That, AFAIK, is part of the
motherboard. Have you no HP support left? Best of luck...

Fred.