fully qualified domain name

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, I just upgraded WinNT4(PDC) to Win2k and in the end Active Directory
Wizard
showup. Not sure what to put as fully qualified domain name. Assuming that
my existing domain is ABC, should I put ABC ? I'm getting popup that should
be like ABC.COM or something.
thanks

There are a lot of differences between NT-style domains and 2000/2003 Active
Directory domains. It's very important to properly understand how DNS is
used and do some planning ahead of time. This is all new since NT.

I think reading through
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/pds-cduadtoc.asp
will give you some help.

"Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just upgraded WinNT4(PDC) to Win2k and in the end Active Directory
> Wizard
> showup. Not sure what to put as fully qualified domain name. Assuming that
> my existing domain is ABC, should I put ABC ? I'm getting popup that
> should
> be like ABC.COM or something.
> thanks

In news:%23jRXGt9VEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Bob <kc2ine@yahoo.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi, I just upgraded WinNT4(PDC) to Win2k and in the end Active
> Directory Wizard
> showup. Not sure what to put as fully qualified domain name. Assuming
> that my existing domain is ABC, should I put ABC ? I'm getting popup
> that should be like ABC.COM or something.
> thanks

You can use abc.com or even abc.local, do not use abc. abc is not a fully
qualified domain name and it will cause you more problems than you want.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, but my old domain is ABC, when I change to ABC.com users cannot be able
to login,
right? I don't use web server so why I would need to ABC.com staff anyway?
thanks

In news:eocuNVZWEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bob <kc2ine@yahoo.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes, but my old domain is ABC, when I change to ABC.com users cannot
> be able to login,
> right?

Wrong, you have two choices to make in DCPROMO for your domain name, the
NetBIOS domain name and the DNS domain name. The DNS domain name must be a
Fully Qualified name. Which means it must be multi-labeled to follow the DNS
hierarchy. ABC is a single-label name and will cause you many problems with
Active Directory. Dynamic DNS registration will fail your domain SYSVOL DFS
share will not be accessible by the domain name because it won't resolve in
DNS, this share is at \\<dnsdomainname>\SYSVOL believe me, do not use a
single-label domain name for the DNS name. Come over to the Win2k or Windows
Server DNS group and see some of the problems caused by single-label domain
names.

I don't use web server so why I would need to ABC.com staff
> anyway? thanks

This has nothing to do with a web server or website, it has only to do with
connectivity between members of an Active Directory domain that stores its
service and resource records in DNS. You don't have to use .com, you can use
..local, .lan or even .i-am-glad-i-put-a-dot-in-my-domain-name. (Well, maybe
that is stretching it a bit) Users won't see the change, Network Places will
still use the NetBIOS name, logons will be fast, group policies will work
and you won't have to go to every machine and make registry entries just to
get it to work. Even adding the registry entries won't help your group
policies that won't apply because \\abc\SYSVOL will be inaccessible.

300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684

826743 - Clients cannot dynamically register DNS records in a single-label
forward lookup zone: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826743

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Kevin,
I'll do like you said.
Rob

> [...]
>
> 300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
> Single-Label DNS Names
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684
>
> 826743 - Clients cannot dynamically register DNS records in a single-label
> forward lookup zone: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826743
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with

TRENDING THREADS