Barebones

Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e. cd
and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
command. Can any help? thnkz

Also, does it matter if the XP home is a copy (not currently being used on
orig pc) that is being used for this install?

"Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
> cd
> and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
> can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
> command. Can any help? thnkz

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

squiggy wrote:
> Also, does it matter if the XP home is a copy (not currently being used on
> orig pc) that is being used for this install?
>
> "Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>>cd
>>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
>>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>command. Can any help? thnkz

You are not using an OEM Windows XP CD, are you?? If you are, the
hardware must match that in the original computer or it will not work.

Thanks, Ken. Yes, I was trying to be cheap out about the thing. Guess I'll
go out and get XP Pro.

"Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> squiggy wrote:
>> Also, does it matter if the XP home is a copy (not currently being used
>> on orig pc) that is being used for this install?
>>
>> "Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>>>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>>>cd
>>>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
>>>but
>>>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>>command. Can any help? thnkz
>>>

> You are not using an OEM Windows XP CD, are you?? If you are, the
> hardware must match that in the original computer or it will not work.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:47:04 -0400, "squiggy"
<usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Thanks, Ken. Yes, I was trying to be cheap out about the thing. Guess I'll
>go out and get XP Pro.

With XP, no need for fdisk on a floppy. With a brand new, clean HD,
put XP disk in CD, strat and XP will do everything. In XP pro, you get
IIS, Internet Information Services WebServer software. You can run
like a web server, run server-side stuff like ASP... Real cool.

squiggy wrote:
> Also, does it matter if the XP home is a copy (not currently being used on
> orig pc) that is being used for this install?
>
> "Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>>cd
>>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
>>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>command. Can any help? thnkz

You can search Microsoft for a link to XP Home startup disks. I think it
takes 6 floppies.
If it's an OEM CD, you're probably going to have some problems, Squiggly.

Ken wrote:
> squiggy wrote:
>
>> Also, does it matter if the XP home is a copy (not currently being
>> used on orig pc) that is being used for this install?
>>
>> "Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it
>>> were
>>> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly
>>> (i.e. cd
>>> and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the
>>> drive, but
>>> can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>> command. Can any help? thnkz
>>>

> You are not using an OEM Windows XP CD, are you?? If you are, the
> hardware must match that in the original computer or it will not work.

That's not correct. I have an OEM Win XP CD and it's OEM for a white box
generic computer. What you mean is a proprietary OEM distro, like from
Compaq or IBM atc.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

TRENDING THREADS