Back plate on case for MoBo ports

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 2, 2005 10:42:33 PM

I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
plate?

More about : back plate case mobo ports

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 10:42:34 PM

The proper backplate for a given motherboard comes with the motherboard in
the box.

--
DaveW

"Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
> plate?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 10:55:52 PM

My Gigabyte came with backplate. best wishes..J

"Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
> plate?
Related resources
June 3, 2005 12:14:17 AM

I think all new mobos come with a back plate or at least they should.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
"old jon" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
> My Gigabyte came with backplate. best wishes..J
>
> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
>> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
>> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
>> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
>> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
>> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
>> plate?

June 3, 2005 12:38:36 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I wondered about this. And wondered
how/why Antec provided a preconfigured backplate with their case when
very few motherboards would fit properly.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:14:17 +0100, "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>I think all new mobos come with a back plate or at least they should.
>
>Si
June 3, 2005 12:38:37 AM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:38:36 GMT, Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses. I wondered about this. And wondered
>how/why Antec provided a preconfigured backplate with their case when
>very few motherboards would fit properly.

Yea, I bought a Chenbro case and it came with a back plate and I
thought what a dumb idea because all motherboards come with their own
backplates.
June 3, 2005 4:33:11 AM

If cases came without the backplate then we would probably bitch about that
too....lol.

Si

--
> The proper backplate for a given motherboard comes with the motherboard in
> the box.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
>> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
>> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
>> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
>> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
>> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
>> plate?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2005 12:38:50 AM

Matt wrote:
> Phisherman wrote:
>
>> I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
>> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
>> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
>> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
>> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
>> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
>> plate?
>

> I could easily be wrong, but I believe the following:
>
> There is such a thing as a standard or default backplate.
>
> "All" cases come with a standard backplate.
>
> If a motherboard needs a nonstandard backplate, such a backplate is
> supplied with the motherboard.
>
> This comports with my Sept. '03 purchases of an Antec SLK3700AMB case
> and a Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo. The mobo did not come with a backplate,
> but the case did, and the backplate did fit the mobo. Later I bought a
> Soyo mobo that did not fit the Antec backplate, but the appropriate
> backplate was included with the Soyo mobo.
>
> Somebody please confirm or deny the generality above.
Basically there is an industry standard for I/o configuration. The only
difference I have seen is that a few mobo's still have on-board video
thus being the difference. Several years ago H/P, Gateway and a few
others used a different architecture for I/O ports but today even they
follow the industry pattern.

I/O plates with removable port holes can be purchased at several
locations like NewEgg or even ebay for a couple of bucks.

DRG
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2005 3:30:01 PM

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Phisherman wrote:
>> I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
>> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
>> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
>> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
>> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
>> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
>> plate?
>
> I could easily be wrong, but I believe the following:
>
> There is such a thing as a standard or default backplate.
>
> "All" cases come with a standard backplate.
>
> If a motherboard needs a nonstandard backplate, such a backplate is
> supplied with the motherboard.
>
> This comports with my Sept. '03 purchases of an Antec SLK3700AMB case and
> a Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo. The mobo did not come with a backplate, but the
> case did, and the backplate did fit the mobo. Later I bought a Soyo mobo
> that did not fit the Antec backplate, but the appropriate backplate was
> included with the Soyo mobo.
>
> Somebody please confirm or deny the generality above.

Most, if not all, new MBs come with a standard sized backplate. I just
upgraded this system with an Asus P5GDC Deluxe MB (I-915) and the rear ports
were all different from my previous board. The included backplate just
snapped in place fine in my Lian Li PC-60 case. This is not always the case
with proprietary systems like HP, Compac etc. They sometimes have
non-standard backplates. I believe Dell uses standard ATX layouts as far as
the backplate size goes. Most new cases include several different backplates
too.

Ed
!