Back plate on case for MoBo ports

I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
plate?
8 answers Last reply
More about back plate case mobo ports

    The proper backplate for a given motherboard comes with the motherboard in
    the box.

    --
    DaveW

    "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
    > yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
    > good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
    > question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
    > ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
    > Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
    > plate?

    My Gigabyte came with backplate. best wishes..J

    "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
    > yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
    > good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
    > question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
    > ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
    > Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
    > plate?

    I think all new mobos come with a back plate or at least they should.

    Si

    --
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
    "old jon" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > My Gigabyte came with backplate. best wishes..J
    >
    > "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
    >> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
    >> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
    >> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
    >> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
    >> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
    >> plate?

    Thanks for all the responses. I wondered about this. And wondered
    how/why Antec provided a preconfigured backplate with their case when
    very few motherboards would fit properly.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:38:36 GMT, Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the responses. I wondered about this. And wondered
    >how/why Antec provided a preconfigured backplate with their case when
    >very few motherboards would fit properly.

    Yea, I bought a Chenbro case and it came with a back plate and I
    thought what a dumb idea because all motherboards come with their own
    backplates.

    If cases came without the backplate then we would probably bitch about that
    too....lol.

    Si

    --

    Matt wrote:
    > Phisherman wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
    >> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
    >> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
    >> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
    >> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
    >> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
    >> plate?
    >

    > I could easily be wrong, but I believe the following:
    >
    > There is such a thing as a standard or default backplate.
    >
    > "All" cases come with a standard backplate.
    >
    > If a motherboard needs a nonstandard backplate, such a backplate is
    > supplied with the motherboard.
    >
    > This comports with my Sept. '03 purchases of an Antec SLK3700AMB case
    > and a Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo. The mobo did not come with a backplate,
    > but the case did, and the backplate did fit the mobo. Later I bought a
    > Soyo mobo that did not fit the Antec backplate, but the appropriate
    > backplate was included with the Soyo mobo.
    >
    > Somebody please confirm or deny the generality above.
    Basically there is an industry standard for I/o configuration. The only
    difference I have seen is that a few mobo's still have on-board video
    thus being the difference. Several years ago H/P, Gateway and a few
    others used a different architecture for I/O ports but today even they
    follow the industry pattern.

    I/O plates with removable port holes can be purchased at several
    locations like NewEgg or even ebay for a couple of bucks.

    DRG

    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    > Phisherman wrote:
    >> I have an Antec SLK3000B case and have not decided on the motherboard
    >> yet. The back plate on the case is removable/configurable and for
    >> good reason. Motherboard have different builtin back ports. My
    >> question is where do you get a plate that conforms to the motherboard
    >> ports and case? Or, do you just leave gaping holes around the ports?
    >> Do back cover plates come with a motherboard? Anyone cut a custom
    >> plate?
    >
    > I could easily be wrong, but I believe the following:
    >
    > There is such a thing as a standard or default backplate.
    >
    > "All" cases come with a standard backplate.
    >
    > If a motherboard needs a nonstandard backplate, such a backplate is
    > supplied with the motherboard.
    >
    > This comports with my Sept. '03 purchases of an Antec SLK3700AMB case and
    > a Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo. The mobo did not come with a backplate, but the
    > case did, and the backplate did fit the mobo. Later I bought a Soyo mobo
    > that did not fit the Antec backplate, but the appropriate backplate was
    > included with the Soyo mobo.
    >
    > Somebody please confirm or deny the generality above.

    Most, if not all, new MBs come with a standard sized backplate. I just
    upgraded this system with an Asus P5GDC Deluxe MB (I-915) and the rear ports
    were all different from my previous board. The included backplate just
    snapped in place fine in my Lian Li PC-60 case. This is not always the case
    with proprietary systems like HP, Compac etc. They sometimes have
    non-standard backplates. I believe Dell uses standard ATX layouts as far as
    the backplate size goes. Most new cases include several different backplates
    too.

    Ed

Homebuilt Hardware Cases Motherboards Systems