Clawhammer, Venice, Newcastle, Winchester

Phisherman

I'd like to see a comparison chart for AMD Athlon 64 processors,
something that shows the features, compatibilities and strengths of
each. Would Venice be the best value choice? TIA

"Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to see a comparison chart for AMD Athlon 64 processors,
> something that shows the features, compatibilities and strengths of
> each. Would Venice be the best value choice? TIA

Yes, Venice is best. But the 3700+ San Diego is best overall.
Price/performance ratio.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:45:44 GMT, Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> wrote:

>I'd like to see a comparison chart for AMD Athlon 64 processors,
>something that shows the features, compatibilities and strengths of
>each. Would Venice be the best value choice? TIA

Clawhammer 130nm 1MB L2
Newcastle 130nm 512KB L2
Winchester 90nm 512KB L2
Venice 90nm 512KB L2, SSE3
San Diego 90nm 1MB L2, SSE3

Clawhammer and Newcastle are only interesting because, if you look
around, you can still find one for socket 754. Particularly the
Newcastle 3400+ is a real gem for s754.

Winchester are reputed to overclock well. My (wild) guess is that it
is because they fail some test at AMD, - a failure not normally
visable to users - and then get a low clock. They don't seem to
factoryclock well. That is, AMD have been very reluctant to release
highclocked Winchesters. That is why they were replaced in production
by Venice and San Diego.

Venice and SanDiego are manufactured on an improved 90nm process. They
also have small core improvements. Supports SSE3 and have somewhat
better memory controller.

I would say yes, go with Venice and s939. IMO overall best option.

Best value? I'm less sure.
Non-OC, the 3400+ and a cheap NF3-250/AGPx8 socket 754 MB is
spectacular for the money, if you're ok with sticking to older
technologies. But if you're getting a completely new PC, the small
savings on CPU and MB that s754 offers, are IMO not worth it.
You could also be lucky with a Winchester OC. It's a bit of a lottery
though, and I believe the best chances may have been in the early
production batches.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:45:44 GMT, Phisherman <nobody@noone.com> wrote:

>>I'd like to see a comparison chart for AMD Athlon 64 processors,
>>something that shows the features, compatibilities and strengths of
>>each. Would Venice be the best value choice? TIA
>
> Clawhammer 130nm 1MB L2
> Newcastle 130nm 512KB L2
> Winchester 90nm 512KB L2
> Venice 90nm 512KB L2, SSE3
> San Diego 90nm 1MB L2, SSE3

Have you tried
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E10248,00.html
(just go to www.amd.com and page through to the comparison charts for the A64
series you want to look at)?

Socket 939 and 90 nm technology will tend to have the best performance and
lowest power consumption. By AMD's reckoning, any CPU with a similar model
number (e.g., 3200+) will perform about the same overall. Pick the benchmarks
that apply to your usage to sort out the esoterica.