cable unplugged

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 1, 2005 10:06:02 PM

i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable is
unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i still get
the message. the problem is that i can get internet access fine on my laptop
but the same computer will not communicate with my desktop. i need to set up
a printer wirelessly and it won't find my printer hooked up to my desktop. i
would also like to share some files from desktop to my laptop.

thank you for your time,
adam

More about : cable unplugged

August 1, 2005 10:44:23 PM

Adam wrote:

> i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable
> is unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i
> still get the message. the problem is that i can get internet access
> fine on my laptop but the same computer will not communicate with my
> desktop. i need to set up a printer wirelessly and it won't find my
> printer hooked up to my desktop. i would also like to share some files
> from desktop to my laptop.
>
> thank you for your time,
> adam

Since you can connect to the Internet just fine, the "cable unplugged"
message is unimportant and has nothing to do with why you are having
difficulties in setting up your home network. The connection is related
to some other built-in networking device that you're not using right
now, like the wireless or bluetooth.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers with both of them on.
That usually does the trick. Make sure you enable file and printer
sharing. If you still have difficulties, here are some links to help
you:

http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I tried running the Network Setup Wizard on both machines and i got a message
that said "Windows System Error: There is an IP address conflict with another
system on the network." Any other ideas?
Thanks again,
Adam

"Malke" wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable
> > is unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i
> > still get the message. the problem is that i can get internet access
> > fine on my laptop but the same computer will not communicate with my
> > desktop. i need to set up a printer wirelessly and it won't find my
> > printer hooked up to my desktop. i would also like to share some files
> > from desktop to my laptop.
> >
> > thank you for your time,
> > adam
>
> Since you can connect to the Internet just fine, the "cable unplugged"
> message is unimportant and has nothing to do with why you are having
> difficulties in setting up your home network. The connection is related
> to some other built-in networking device that you're not using right
> now, like the wireless or bluetooth.
>
> Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers with both of them on.
> That usually does the trick. Make sure you enable file and printer
> sharing. If you still have difficulties, here are some links to help
> you:
>
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Related resources
August 2, 2005 12:03:28 AM

Adam wrote:

> I tried running the Network Setup Wizard on both machines and i got a
> message that said "Windows System Error: There is an IP address
> conflict with another system on the network." Any other ideas?
> Thanks again,
> Adam

Yes. Go through this network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
Take the time and be thorough, and it will pinpoint the problem
area(s).

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
August 2, 2005 1:40:27 AM

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#unplugged
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable is
> unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i still
get
> the message. the problem is that i can get internet access fine on my
laptop
> but the same computer will not communicate with my desktop. i need to set
up
> a printer wirelessly and it won't find my printer hooked up to my desktop.
> would also like to share some files from desktop to my laptop.
>
> thank you for your time,
> adam
August 2, 2005 1:47:02 AM

I tried the troubleshooter and nothing seems to be working. And now my
desktop has lost its internet connection, even though my laptop is fine.
Arggg.
Thanks,
Adam

"Malke" wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > I tried running the Network Setup Wizard on both machines and i got a
> > message that said "Windows System Error: There is an IP address
> > conflict with another system on the network." Any other ideas?
> > Thanks again,
> > Adam
>
> Yes. Go through this network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
> Take the time and be thorough, and it will pinpoint the problem
> area(s).
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

August 2, 2005 11:24:31 AM

Adam wrote:

> I tried the troubleshooter and nothing seems to be working. And now my
> desktop has lost its internet connection, even though my laptop is
> fine. Arggg.
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Adam wrote:
>>
>> > I tried running the Network Setup Wizard on both machines and i got
>> > a message that said "Windows System Error: There is an IP address
>> > conflict with another system on the network." Any other ideas?
>> > Thanks again,
>> > Adam

Nothing you did on the laptop should have affected your desktop's
Internet connection. You've got something else going on. Start from the
beginning:

1. How do you connect to the Internet? Method, ISP, and equipment used.
2. What operating systems are running on both machines? Include versions
and Service Pack levels.
3. Give some description of the computers - name of maker, age, etc.
4. Did your setup ever work? If so, what changed between the time things
worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 2, 2005 8:33:03 PM

I don't know if this post went through last time, so here it is again. I
gave up on the whole wireless thing for the timebeing. I got a network cable
and connected the laptop to my router which is connected to the modem and the
tower. When i hit "view workgroup computers" on both machines, the desktop
shows itself, and when i open it it has all my shared docs and printers. When
i do the same to the laptop, it responds with:
"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not
currently available."

Both the laptop and desktop are running XP Pro with Service Pack 2
installed. The laptop is an Inspiron 6000, a month old, and the desktop is a
Dell, maybe 2 or 3 years old. We connect using Broadband and have a LinkSys
Wireless B router. I hope thats enough info.

Thanks For Your Time and Energy,
Adam

"Malke" wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > I tried the troubleshooter and nothing seems to be working. And now my
> > desktop has lost its internet connection, even though my laptop is
> > fine. Arggg.
> > Thanks,
> > Adam

> Nothing you did on the laptop should have affected your desktop's
> Internet connection. You've got something else going on. Start from the
> beginning:
>
> 1. How do you connect to the Internet? Method, ISP, and equipment used.
> 2. What operating systems are running on both machines? Include versions
> and Service Pack levels.
> 3. Give some description of the computers - name of maker, age, etc.
> 4. Did your setup ever work? If so, what changed between the time things
> worked and the time they didn't?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 2, 2005 8:45:08 PM

Adam wrote:

> I don't know if this post went through last time, so here it is again.
> I gave up on the whole wireless thing for the timebeing. I got a
> network cable and connected the laptop to my router which is connected
> to the modem and the tower. When i hit "view workgroup computers" on
> both machines, the desktop shows itself, and when i open it it has all
> my shared docs and printers. When i do the same to the laptop, it
> responds with: "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you
> have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is
> not currently available."
>
> Both the laptop and desktop are running XP Pro with Service Pack 2
> installed. The laptop is an Inspiron 6000, a month old, and the
> desktop is a Dell, maybe 2 or 3 years old. We connect using Broadband
> and have a LinkSys Wireless B router. I hope thats enough info.

It is a good idea to get everything working wired first, so that was an
excellent decision. The error you are getting can be caused by a
misconfigured firewall; and/or having Simple File Sharing enabled on
one machine and not the other; and if Simple File Sharing is disabled
on both machines not having the same user accounts and passwords on
both computers. Here is a link to help you set up file/printer sharing
on XP Pro:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 2, 2005 9:35:29 PM

Now I am getting a message "Windows- System Error There is an IP address

"Malke" wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this post went through last time, so here it is again.
> > I gave up on the whole wireless thing for the timebeing. I got a
> > network cable and connected the laptop to my router which is connected
> > to the modem and the tower. When i hit "view workgroup computers" on
> > both machines, the desktop shows itself, and when i open it it has all
> > my shared docs and printers. When i do the same to the laptop, it
> > responds with: "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> > this server to find out if you
> > have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is
> > not currently available."
> >
> > Both the laptop and desktop are running XP Pro with Service Pack 2
> > installed. The laptop is an Inspiron 6000, a month old, and the
> > desktop is a Dell, maybe 2 or 3 years old. We connect using Broadband
> > and have a LinkSys Wireless B router. I hope thats enough info.
> >
> It is a good idea to get everything working wired first, so that was an
> excellent decision. The error you are getting can be caused by a
> misconfigured firewall; and/or having Simple File Sharing enabled on
> one machine and not the other; and if Simple File Sharing is disabled
> on both machines not having the same user accounts and passwords on
> both computers. Here is a link to help you set up file/printer sharing
> on XP Pro:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 2, 2005 10:32:37 PM

Adam wrote:

> Now I am getting a message "Windows- System Error There is an IP
> address conflict with another system on the network."
> Adam

How do you connect to the Internet? Do you have a router? Are you
manually assigning IP addresses (as in trying to use ICS) or have you
got both computers set to assign IP/DNS automatically?

I know we've been working with just two computers - a desktop and a
laptop. Are there other computers on the same network?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 2, 2005 11:08:03 PM

I have Broadband, and am usisng a Linksys router. Im really not sure about
the whole IP address thing. If you could clear that up that would be great.
No. There are not any more computers on the network. Just the desktop and
laptop.

"Malke" wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
> > Now I am getting a message "Windows- System Error There is an IP
> > address conflict with another system on the network."
> > Adam
>
> How do you connect to the Internet? Do you have a router? Are you
> manually assigning IP addresses (as in trying to use ICS) or have you
> got both computers set to assign IP/DNS automatically?
>
> I know we've been working with just two computers - a desktop and a
> laptop. Are there other computers on the same network?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 3, 2005 12:03:36 AM

Adam wrote:

> I have Broadband, and am usisng a Linksys router. Im really not sure
> about the whole IP address thing. If you could clear that up that
> would be great. No. There are not any more computers on the network.
> Just the desktop and laptop.

Sorry for the double-post - I forgot what ng I was in and signed the
worry. ;-)

BTW, it just occurred to me - you aren't using Internet Connection
Sharing are you? If you set that up, you don't want to use that with a
router. You need the computers to get their IP's automatically from the
router.

Goodnight

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 4, 2005 9:35:23 AM

Adam wrote:

> Ok. I restarted everything and unplugged the modem and router. Now on
> my desktop when I click "View workgroup computers" i can find both the
> desktop and the laptop. When i click "view workgroup computers" on my
> laptop it says,
>
> "Linksys (the workgroup) is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
>
> It seems like nothing changed after restarting all the systems. And I
> am sure that both the computers have different names so that can't be
> the problem.
> Thanks,
> Adam

This has become a very long thread, and frankly I don't remember
everything you've done. The error message you're getting indicates that
you:

1. Have some kind of firewall misconfigured; and/or
2. Did not create identical user accounts/passwords on both machines;
and/or
3. Have Simple Sharing enabled/disabled on one of the machines and other
computer's settings don't match.

At this point, you've exhausted the usefulness of trying to troubleshoot
this from a newsgroup. Either go through the network troubleshooter by
MVP Hans-Georg Michna here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

or have a professional come in and set you up properly. If you still
can't get things working by going through the troubleshooter (and it is
well worth taking the time to do it thoroughly as it will pinpoint the
problem areas), then have someone look at your setup. It needs someone
to be on-site who can see exactly what is happening.

Good luck,

Malke
--
!