blue screen - for no apparent reason

Perhaps, one of you knowledgable folks could help me out.

Please bear with me, as I backtrack....
I had a a MSI Neo880 MB until recently. The MSI MB would 'blue screen'
with an error - IRQL_less_than_zero, then begin "physical memory dump",

and re-start to XP.

And further would refer to a video card driver issue.
This would occur after 30 minutes of surfing the web.

So after endless hours of re-installing fresh ATI drivers, with no
help, the error- IRQL_less_than_zero / 'blue screen' would continue.

So I replaced the ATI Radeon with a- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs, and
the 'blue screen' would continue, same error- IRQL_less_than_zero.
Then beginning "physical memory dump", and re-start to XP.

So I contacted the vendor I purchased the MSI MB from, and the vendor's
tech support insisted it was the MSI MB.

So I junked the MSI for a Abit VT7 MB...

So then I re-installed XP Pro, and the Maxtor 40gig Diamondmax would
hang on install. So, I called the same vendor then they suggested I
replace the Maxtor HD.

So, I installed a Seagate Barracuda 160gig, and XP Pro installed
without any problem.
I have the same video card- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs.
And, I have 2each 512mg sticks of Mushkin DDR400. And, an Intel 3.0ghz
HT Prescott processor.

However, after playing a DVD movie or 20 minutes of websurfing I still
get a 'Blue Screen' and the very same error message-
IRQL_less_than_zero.

I have with the exception of (Intel 3.0ghz HT, and the CD-RW and the
DVD, and Floppy drive, and Antec 350w case/power supply) rebuilt the
entire system!!

So now the question... "what is going on?"
Why do I still get the same 'blue screen' error- IRQL_less_than_zero?

Can it be I have dual channel DDR in dimm slot 1 & 2 (as I would with
single channel DDR)?..Instead of dimm slots 1 & 3 for dual channel DDR?

I am sure I bought single channel 400DDR..would this be a factor?

Any suggestions would help... thanx

jad

I have found these type of errors are caused by faulty ram or/and NIC
drivers.

"coldbluice" <sperino@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps, one of you knowledgable folks could help me out.
>
> Please bear with me, as I backtrack....
> I had a a MSI Neo880 MB until recently. The MSI MB would 'blue screen'
> with an error - IRQL_less_than_zero, then begin "physical memory dump",
>
> and re-start to XP.
>
> And further would refer to a video card driver issue.
> This would occur after 30 minutes of surfing the web.
>
> So after endless hours of re-installing fresh ATI drivers, with no
> help, the error- IRQL_less_than_zero / 'blue screen' would continue.
>
> So I replaced the ATI Radeon with a- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs, and
> the 'blue screen' would continue, same error- IRQL_less_than_zero.
> Then beginning "physical memory dump", and re-start to XP.
>
> So I contacted the vendor I purchased the MSI MB from, and the vendor's
> tech support insisted it was the MSI MB.
>
> So I junked the MSI for a Abit VT7 MB...
>
> So then I re-installed XP Pro, and the Maxtor 40gig Diamondmax would
> hang on install. So, I called the same vendor then they suggested I
> replace the Maxtor HD.
>
> So, I installed a Seagate Barracuda 160gig, and XP Pro installed
> without any problem.
> I have the same video card- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs.
> And, I have 2each 512mg sticks of Mushkin DDR400. And, an Intel 3.0ghz
> HT Prescott processor.
>

> However, after playing a DVD movie or 20 minutes of websurfing I still
> get a 'Blue Screen' and the very same error message-
> IRQL_less_than_zero.
>
> I have with the exception of (Intel 3.0ghz HT, and the CD-RW and the
> DVD, and Floppy drive, and Antec 350w case/power supply) rebuilt the
> entire system!!
>

> So now the question... "what is going on?"
> Why do I still get the same 'blue screen' error- IRQL_less_than_zero?
>
> Can it be I have dual channel DDR in dimm slot 1 & 2 (as I would with
> single channel DDR)?..Instead of dimm slots 1 & 3 for dual channel DDR?
>

> I am sure I bought single channel 400DDR..would this be a factor?
>
> Any suggestions would help... thanx

Thanks Dawg for the prompt reponse. To answer your questions...

> dawg wrote:
> Did you do a clean install or did you copy the drives contents from the old
> one?

*Clean install*
> There seems to be quite a few causes for this error,but mostly it comers
> down to either bad memory or bad drivers.

*I forgot to mention Fry's did a diagnostic check of the memory sticks
and Nvidia card..all checks out.

> Try different versions of you video drivers, a new BIOS if there is one
> ,and if you have more than one memory stick,try them seperately.

Downloaded fresh drivers from Nvidia, and I will check the BIOS
version.

Thanks for the tip.

However I am wondering if maybe there are power spikes (due to age of
the power supply) that causes the memory to fail?

What do you think?

> [...]

> without any problem.
> I have the same video card- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs.
> And, I have 2each 512mg sticks of Mushkin DDR400. And, an Intel 3.0ghz
> HT Prescott processor.
>

> However, after playing a DVD movie or 20 minutes of websurfing I still
> get a 'Blue Screen' and the very same error message-
> IRQL_less_than_zero.
>
> I have with the exception of (Intel 3.0ghz HT, and the CD-RW and the
> DVD, and Floppy drive, and Antec 350w case/power supply) rebuilt the
> entire system!!
>

> So now the question... "what is going on?"
> Why do I still get the same 'blue screen' error- IRQL_less_than_zero?
>
> Can it be I have dual channel DDR in dimm slot 1 & 2 (as I would with
> single channel DDR)?..Instead of dimm slots 1 & 3 for dual channel DDR?
>

> I am sure I bought single channel 400DDR..would this be a factor?

JohnS

I've seen this. It was caused, in my case, by having
automatic updates turned on. Down would come all this
poop like old ATI drivers installing right over new ones
.... WinMed Player installing a world of stuff, and then
the blue screen would happen on the next reboot, until
WMed Player sorted itself out. I called Microsoft and
pitched a fit, and they said they were not going to fix
it. I would just have to turn auto updates off, and do
any updates manually. In the meantime, an entire lab
of computers blue screened over and over until I could
get around and clean the video drivers off. Note: a
fresh reinstall will only make matters worse if you leave
those updates turned on, or if you let Microsoft hand
you vendor drivers. Also, if you have older scanners /
printers, XP will go on safari and get new drivers and
applications for that hardware. It has actually done a
good job for me. My scanner and printer run much
better now, and I have several applications for them
that I never installed ... just showed up. My Hauppauge
WinTV card has all the latest apps too. I never touched
the thing. It just came down. Took me weeks to find
the checkbox in XP that disabled the monkey business.

johns

coldbluice writes:

> I have with the exception of (Intel 3.0ghz HT, and the CD-RW and the
> DVD, and Floppy drive, and Antec 350w case/power supply) rebuilt the
> entire system!!

Then the problem is with the things that did not change: the processor,
the CD-RW drive or floppy drive (unlikely), the DVD drive (somewhat more
likely), or, most likely of all, a device driver used by the application
software you are running on the system, or some interaction of these
software components.

Does the system ever crash when you are NOT watching a DVD?

For a very long time I had occasional BSODs with an old NT system. I
finally narrowed it down to the Eicon Diva ISDN card and/or its drivers.
When I stopped using the ISDN connection, the problem went away, but I
never found out exactly what was causing it.

> Thanks Dawg for the prompt reponse. To answer your questions...
>
> > dawg wrote:
> > Did you do a clean install or did you copy the drives contents from the
old
> > one?
>
> *Clean install*
> > There seems to be quite a few causes for this error,but mostly it
comers
> > down to either bad memory or bad drivers.
>
> *I forgot to mention Fry's did a diagnostic check of the memory sticks
> and Nvidia card..all checks out.
>
> > Try different versions of you video drivers, a new BIOS if there is one
> > ,and if you have more than one memory stick,try them seperately.
>
> Downloaded fresh drivers from Nvidia, and I will check the BIOS
> version.
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> However I am wondering if maybe there are power spikes (due to age of
> the power supply) that causes the memory to fail?
>
> What do you think?
>

> > "coldbluice" <sperino@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Perhaps, one of you knowledgable folks could help me out.
> > >
> > > Please bear with me, as I backtrack....
> > > I had a a MSI Neo880 MB until recently. The MSI MB would 'blue screen'
> > > with an error - IRQL_less_than_zero, then begin "physical memory
dump",

> > > and re-start to XP.
> > >
> > > And further would refer to a video card driver issue.
> > > This would occur after 30 minutes of surfing the web.
> > >
> > > So after endless hours of re-installing fresh ATI drivers, with no
> > > help, the error- IRQL_less_than_zero / 'blue screen' would continue.
> > >
> > > So I replaced the ATI Radeon with a- Nvidia G-Force 5500oc 256mgs, and
> > > the 'blue screen' would continue, same error- IRQL_less_than_zero.
> > > Then beginning "physical memory dump", and re-start to XP.
> > >
> > > So I contacted the vendor I purchased the MSI MB from, and the
vendor's
> > > tech support insisted it was the MSI MB.

Bad power might also be a cuase. If you can, try doing another clean
install(PIA,I know) with minimum hardware. Vid card,ram,one hard drive,one
optical drive. Get the latest drivers and BIOS. Chipset drivers are very
important