new motherboard and graphics

new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just resets
and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the problem any
ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair windows?

jad

reset the cmos first

"Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair windows?

Whenever you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer system, you MUST
reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
have problems such as you discovered.

--
DaveW

"Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair windows?

"Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote:

> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up
> just resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe
> causing the problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard
> disk or repair windows?

Lots of ideas. I get the impression you swapped the mainboard out
from under Windows. Windows XP might be good at it, Windows
Millennium maybe coped okay, but I would still reinstall Windows
when replacing my mainboard. You do have backups of any important
data?

My experience is similar to Dave's. A new mobo almost always requires a
re-install of Windows or instability occurs.

> Whenever you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer system, you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
> will have problems such as you discovered.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
>> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
>> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
>> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair
>> windows?

reset the cmos?? no way new motherboard mate no way

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> reset the cmos first
>
> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
>> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
>> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
>> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair
>> windows?

jad

heheheh um your way to paranoid there bud. Are you confusing "BIOS FLASH"
for CMOS reset?

> reset the cmos?? no way new motherboard mate no way
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> reset the cmos first
>>
>> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
>>> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
>>> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
>>> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair
>>> windows?

most of my important stuff are on a different partition so i wont miss
anything

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote:
>
>> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up
>> just resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe
>> causing the problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard
>> disk or repair windows?
>
> Lots of ideas. I get the impression you swapped the mainboard out
> from under Windows. Windows XP might be good at it, Windows
> Millennium maybe coped okay, but I would still reinstall Windows
> when replacing my mainboard. You do have backups of any important
> data?

> Whenever you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer system, you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
> will have problems such as you discovered.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
>> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
>> resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
>> problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair
>> windows?

not quite so fast there my friend. a repair install of XP MAY and I dare
say MAY fix the problema after the repair and installing the mobo drivers.
But, in a perfect world, with all data backed up, WTF, reformat and install.
Why not do it?

But, I did take XP and move it from an intel platform to an AMD platform
with only reinstalling the mobo drivers, video, and modem. Your mileage may
vary.

P.S. - you knew this already, right john?????

--
so many jackasses, so little ammo

You need to keep important data backed up on another physical media.

In article <4cGdnbisrtUH6zrfRVn-vw@comcast.com>, DaveW says...
> Whenever you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer system, you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
> have problems such as you discovered.

Why? PLenty of ways to manually reset hardware detection.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

Does your new graphics card require a secondary power connection. Most new
ones do.

"Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
> new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
resets
> and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the problem
any
> ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair windows?

no its just that i have bought a new motherboard and im not going to mess
with things that im not used to

> heheheh um your way to paranoid there bud. Are you confusing "BIOS FLASH"
> for CMOS reset?
>
> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message
>> reset the cmos?? no way new motherboard mate no way
>>
>> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>>> reset the cmos first
>>>
>>> "Squibbly2" <antispam@account.com> wrote in message

my "new" graphics card is a x8 agp i bought it off ebay.co.uk
"new" as in it brand new never been used, but since graphics has moved on to
pastures new as in PCI-Express

"Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote:
> "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> Does your new graphics card require a secondary power
>> connection. Most new ones do.

> my "new" graphics card is a x8 agp i bought it off ebay.co.uk
> "new" as in it brand new never been used, but since graphics has
> moved on to pastures new as in PCI-Express

Look on your video card or in your video card owners manual to see
whether it requires another power connection.

> From: "Squibbly" <anti spam.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: new motherboard and graphics
> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:04:23 +0000 (UTC)

no it doesnt
ok thanks for your help i now consider this case close

> "Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote:
>> "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Does your new graphics card require a secondary power
>>> connection. Most new ones do.
>
>> my "new" graphics card is a x8 agp i bought it off ebay.co.uk
>> "new" as in it brand new never been used, but since graphics has
>> moved on to pastures new as in PCI-Express
>
> Look on your video card or in your video card owners manual to see
> whether it requires another power connection.

>> From: "Squibbly" <anti spam.com>
>> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>> Subject: Re: new motherboard and graphics
>> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:04:23 +0000 (UTC)

Yeah and you're welcome.Good bye.
"
Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote in message
> no it doesnt
> ok thanks for your help i now consider this case close
>
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message

> >> my "new" graphics card is a x8 agp i bought it off ebay.co.uk
> >> "new" as in it brand new never been used, but since graphics has
> >> moved on to pastures new as in PCI-Express
> >
> > Look on your video card or in your video card owners manual to see
> > whether it requires another power connection.

ail