Browsing "Network neighborhood" in domain environment

Hi,

In workgroup environment, computers can be logically classified
and then seen in "Network neighborhood" under chosen workgroup
name. Is it possible to simulate something like that in domain
environment or do all computers belonging to one domain HAVE
to be under same "container" in Network neighborhood?

Drazen Petrek

They are all in the one container if I understand what your taling about.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Drazen" <drazen_petrek@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In workgroup environment, computers can be logically classified
> and then seen in "Network neighborhood" under chosen workgroup
> name. Is it possible to simulate something like that in domain
> environment or do all computers belonging to one domain HAVE
> to be under same "container" in Network neighborhood?
>
> Drazen Petrek

Yes, in domain environment, all domain computers are under "domain name"
in Netowork neighborhood. Is it possible to further distinguish
computers in one domain (I'm not talking about OU's here) so that they
would be visible for example under several branches under "domain name"
in Network neighborhood or do ALL computers belonging to domain have
to be under same branch (branch named "domain name")?

The thing is that we have big resistance deploying a domain
becouse users say that they wont be able to distinguish
computers belonging to same work unit under "Network neighborhood"
as they can in workgroup environment.

For example now we have computers classified into 3 workgroups:
Sales, Accounting, Marketing. If we set up domain named for example
"ABC", and join all computers to domain, they will all be
visible under "ABC" in Network neighborhood and thats whats
bugging users. They want to see which computers belong to
sales, which to sccounting under "Network neighborhood"...
Is it possible to do something like that in one domain environment,
or do we have to establish several domains (we have only 20
computers)?

I hope that this explains what the problem is...

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ODrTxqEYEHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> They are all in the one container if I understand what your taling about.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Drazen" <drazen_petrek@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > In workgroup environment, computers can be logically classified
> > and then seen in "Network neighborhood" under chosen workgroup
> > name. Is it possible to simulate something like that in domain
> > environment or do all computers belonging to one domain HAVE
> > to be under same "container" in Network neighborhood?
> >
> > Drazen Petrek

You cannot do what you are thinking. A Domain will show all members under NN
and cannot be changed without multiple domains. This should not be a reason
to not move to a domain. Users really shouldn't be browsing through NN all
the time to find resrouces anyways. Your much better off using login scripts
and having mapped drives to resoruces than having them scour NN for the
resources. NN and browsing isn't always consistent so the drive mappings
would be much better and easier. This is nature of the beast. Also your
users have no idea of the pluses of using a domain model. Security and
single logon are the big ones that come to mind and you'll have much less
amdinistrative overhead with a domain. Basically what I'm saying is that
you, as the admin, should not be controlled by your users especially when
they have no technical knowledge of the benifites of a domain over a
workgroup.