Best PC Magazine.......?

Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
14 answers Last reply
More about best magazine

    Stephan wrote:
    > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
    the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
    newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.

    http://www.maximumpc.com/

    "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    Maximum PC (www.maximumpc.com)

    They are utterly impartial when it comes to reviews and will tear apart
    products even from full-page or back-cover advertisers.

    CPU (Computer Power User) is good

    Jim wrote:
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    >> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
    >>

    > None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
    > the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.

    Also depends what country you are in. I'm in the UK our magazines rely
    on the purchase price of the magazine to make the profit they DO NOT
    make there money solely from advertising.. It would also depend on what
    type of articles you are interested in .. if you are in the US you can
    probably get UK mags in larger shops. I like Custom PC magazine, Linux
    Format and Linux Magazine they are always a good read IMHO.

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
    but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
    web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
    is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.

    Phisherman wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
    > <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
    >

    >>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
    >>

    > None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
    > but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
    > web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
    > is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.

    maybe so but paper magazines are good for public transport and reading
    in the bath ..

    "Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > CPU (Computer Power User) is good

    I second that, it always features interesting technical articles.

    I subscribe to MaximumPC. $12 a year. Not as much contnt as I'd like but
    what's there is decent.

    "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    Tend to prefer smartcomputing. More troubleshooting tips and tricks.

    "Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
    > <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
    >>

    > I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
    > newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.
    >
    > http://www.maximumpc.com/

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    I concur with those who say none.
    They're all rags.
    "MaximumPC" I haven't bothered to look at, since they recommended the
    then new and very hot $1100 P4EE, because it was 1-5% (mostly 1%)
    faster than the sweet Northwood 3.2GHz P4C. MaximumPC may have
    improved since, but I doubt it.

    However, I don't read german terribly well, but german magazines like
    Chip, etc, impress me much more than english language magazines.
    I assume you read german well, so I suggest you concentrate your
    search on german magazines.
    The very "best" may well be close to you.

    Stephan wrote:
    > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

    Custom PC (uk based magazine)

    "" wrote:
    > Stephan wrote:
    > > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
    > >

    > Custom PC (uk based magazine)

    Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
    Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
    OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-PC-Magazine-ftopict57188.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294165

    >Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
    >Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
    >OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

    That's what I've done pretty much.... read online

    However it is still nice to have one paper based
    magazine that you can take with you to read during doc
    appointment and such. No?

Homebuilt Hardware Systems