Best PC Magazine.......?

Jim

Stephan wrote:
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.

fisher

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.

http://www.maximumpc.com/

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Maximum PC (www.maximumpc.com)

They are utterly impartial when it comes to reviews and will tear apart
products even from full-page or back-cover advertisers.

CPU (Computer Power User) is good

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Jd

Jim wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
>
>> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
> the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.

Also depends what country you are in. I'm in the UK our magazines rely
on the purchase price of the magazine to make the profit they DO NOT
make there money solely from advertising.. It would also depend on what
type of articles you are interested in .. if you are in the US you can
probably get UK mags in larger shops. I like Custom PC magazine, Linux
Format and Linux Magazine they are always a good read IMHO.

Phisherman

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.

Jd

Phisherman wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
> but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
> web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
> is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.

maybe so but paper magazines are good for public transport and reading
in the bath ..

Gordon

"Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> CPU (Computer Power User) is good

I second that, it always features interesting technical articles.

I subscribe to MaximumPC. $12 a year. Not as much contnt as I'd like but
what's there is decent.

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Tend to prefer smartcomputing. More troubleshooting tips and tricks.

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
> newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.
>
> http://www.maximumpc.com/

vee

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

I concur with those who say none.
They're all rags.
"MaximumPC" I haven't bothered to look at, since they recommended the
then new and very hot $1100 P4EE, because it was 1-5% (mostly 1%)
faster than the sweet Northwood 3.2GHz P4C. MaximumPC may have
improved since, but I doubt it.

However, I don't read german terribly well, but german magazines like
Chip, etc, impress me much more than english language magazines.
I assume you read german well, so I suggest you concentrate your
search on german magazines.
The very "best" may well be close to you.

Stephan wrote:
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Custom PC (uk based magazine)

"" wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
> > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
> >

> Custom PC (uk based magazine)

Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-PC-Magazine-ftopict57188.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294165

ME

>Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
>Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
>OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

That's what I've done pretty much.... read online

However it is still nice to have one paper based
magazine that you can take with you to read during doc
appointment and such. No?