Best PC Magazine.......?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 10, 2005 12:44:15 AM

Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

More about : magazine

June 10, 2005 12:44:16 AM

Stephan wrote:
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.
June 10, 2005 12:44:16 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.

http://www.maximumpc.com/
Related resources
June 10, 2005 2:22:20 AM

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 8a2sf$v15$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Maximum PC (www.maximumpc.com)

They are utterly impartial when it comes to reviews and will tear apart
products even from full-page or back-cover advertisers.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2005 3:47:57 AM

CPU (Computer Power User) is good

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 8a2sf$v15$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

June 10, 2005 4:51:28 AM

Jim wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
>
>> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> None. Each doesn't wish to upset whoever advertises the most or who has
> the deepest pockets. Hence few articles are genuine.

Also depends what country you are in. I'm in the UK our magazines rely
on the purchase price of the magazine to make the profit they DO NOT
make there money solely from advertising.. It would also depend on what
type of articles you are interested in .. if you are in the US you can
probably get UK mags in larger shops. I like Custom PC magazine, Linux
Format and Linux Magazine they are always a good read IMHO.
June 10, 2005 5:07:22 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.
June 10, 2005 6:28:48 AM

Phisherman wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> None. I might browse computer magazines at the library or newsstand,
> but never subscribe. I get most of up-to-date technology news on the
> web. You can also subscribe free to some good newsletters (Kim Komando
> is quite good). Paper magazines are just too old.

maybe so but paper magazines are good for public transport and reading
in the bath ..
June 10, 2005 10:02:28 AM

"Andrew K" <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> CPU (Computer Power User) is good

I second that, it always features interesting technical articles.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 10, 2005 9:16:49 PM

I subscribe to MaximumPC. $12 a year. Not as much contnt as I'd like but
what's there is decent.

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 8a2sf$v15$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 14, 2005 2:56:17 AM

Tend to prefer smartcomputing. More troubleshooting tips and tricks.

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
>>

> I like MaximumPC, it's for the type of people that would frequent this
> newsgroup. I don't subscribe to it but I buy a copy on occasion.
>
> http://www.maximumpc.com/

June 26, 2005 4:49:54 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:44:15 -0500, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

I concur with those who say none.
They're all rags.
"MaximumPC" I haven't bothered to look at, since they recommended the
then new and very hot $1100 P4EE, because it was 1-5% (mostly 1%)
faster than the sweet Northwood 3.2GHz P4C. MaximumPC may have
improved since, but I doubt it.

However, I don't read german terribly well, but german magazines like
Chip, etc, impress me much more than english language magazines.
I assume you read german well, so I suggest you concentrate your
search on german magazines.
The very "best" may well be close to you.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2005 1:42:09 PM

Stephan wrote:
> Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?

Custom PC (uk based magazine)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2005 4:35:54 AM

"" wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
> > Which is the best PC Magazine to subscribe to?
> >

> Custom PC (uk based magazine)

Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-PC-Magazine-ft...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294165
June 30, 2005 12:09:08 PM

>Erh, can’t you just go to sites like Anandtech and tom’shardware?
>Lots of them out there. Sheesh, you can read all day long like Hard
>OCP, so on... or funny ones like theinquirer.net

That's what I've done pretty much.... read online

However it is still nice to have one paper based
magazine that you can take with you to read during doc
appointment and such. No?
!