pci express backward compatibility

I'm new to PCI Express.... After reading what I could find on this
topic, I am still uncertain about backward compatibility with "plain old
PCI cards", circa 2000. I understand that PCI Express 1x, 2x, 16x
refers to the number of serial "lanes" that are linked for data
transfer, on PCI Express bus. But is PCI Express 1x effectively the
same rate as older PCI spec?

I see a motherboard spec that reads as follows :
One PCI Express x1 slots (support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a
compliant)

Four 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus
interface).

Is a PCI Express 1x slot compatible with an older PCI card?
Is this v2.3 Master PCI bus slot backward compatible with an older PCI
card?

Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about express backward compatibility

    > I'm new to PCI Express.... After reading what I could find on this
    > topic, I am still uncertain about backward compatibility with "plain old
    > PCI cards", circa 2000. I understand that PCI Express 1x, 2x, 16x
    > refers to the number of serial "lanes" that are linked for data
    > transfer, on PCI Express bus. But is PCI Express 1x effectively the
    > same rate as older PCI spec?
    > I see a motherboard spec that reads as follows :
    > One PCI Express x1 slots (support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a
    > compliant)
    > Four 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus
    > interface).
    > Is a PCI Express 1x slot compatible with an older PCI card?
    > Is this v2.3 Master PCI bus slot backward compatible with an older PCI
    > card?

    PCI Express slots do NOT work with regular PCI cards. The
    v2.3 Master PCI slots do.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    PCI-Express 1x slots are UNRELATED to the old PCI slots. They use different
    sockets and voltages and speeds.

    --
    DaveW

    "RJ" <RJ@PostOnly.net> wrote in message
    > I'm new to PCI Express.... After reading what I could find on this topic,
    > I am still uncertain about backward compatibility with "plain old PCI
    > cards", circa 2000. I understand that PCI Express 1x, 2x, 16x refers to
    > the number of serial "lanes" that are linked for data transfer, on PCI
    > Express bus. But is PCI Express 1x effectively the same rate as older PCI
    > spec?
    >
    > I see a motherboard spec that reads as follows :
    > One PCI Express x1 slots (support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a
    > compliant)
    >
    > Four 32-bit v2.3 Master PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus
    > interface).
    >
    > Is a PCI Express 1x slot compatible with an older PCI card?
    > Is this v2.3 Master PCI bus slot backward compatible with an older PCI
    > card?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

Homebuilt PCI Compatibility PCI Express Systems