Have an unknown computer in my workgroup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 2, 2005 8:19:02 AM

I have an unknown computer in my workgroup. I suspect it is some type of
virus/worm or invader. I cannot get access to it, says I don't have
authority and I am the admin on our home network. I was wondering how to get
rid of this. I cannot figure out how to remove the entire work group or even
if that would take care of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
August 2, 2005 11:31:26 AM

vlbaysailor wrote:

> I have an unknown computer in my workgroup. I suspect it is some type
> of
> virus/worm or invader. I cannot get access to it, says I don't have
> authority and I am the admin on our home network. I was wondering how
> to get
> rid of this. I cannot figure out how to remove the entire work group
> or even
> if that would take care of the problem. Any help would be
> appreciated.

What is the name of the unknown computer? What protection do you have in
place (antivirus, firewalls, etc.)? How do you connect to the Internet
(method, ISP, hardware such as router, etc.)?

In the meantime, ensure that all computers are clean. Here are some
general malware removal steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

If there is any infestation on any machine, all machines should be taken
off the network and cleaned individually.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Are you running wireless? Have you tried turning off computers to see which
one it is, if it is one of yours? Can all of your computers see it?

I suppose it might be some type of "ghost" entry, but this is just
spectulation.

Clark

"vlbaysailor" <vlbaysailor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an unknown computer in my workgroup. I suspect it is some type of
> virus/worm or invader. I cannot get access to it, says I don't have
> authority and I am the admin on our home network. I was wondering how to
> get
> rid of this. I cannot figure out how to remove the entire work group or
> even
> if that would take care of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Related resources
July 1, 2009 11:06:17 AM

I have a similar problem.

I have five computers in the network, all identifiable, and another one, called Anonymous. I have two workgroups, and Anonymous is in both of them.

I connect all computers either wirelessly or wired through a router/modem wireless.

I have zonealarm and firewall, wpa account.

What is the possibility of this being a ghost? I never had this pop up until recently. Did virus check and nothing came up.
July 2, 2009 4:33:35 AM

ha ,i think u should be forget to add psword of wireless router ,or select wep?
some of one who has a wilreless card notebook or pda can connect to your router .
so ,add a password ,as long as u can remember it .
(-: !!
July 4, 2009 8:31:36 PM

I agree with Linsen many people forget to add a password and security encryption to their home network. because of this other individuals with a wireless adaptor can easily access your internet and use it for free.
!