Pirated Windows XP???

August 8, 2004 11:34:54 AM

I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??

Hello,
I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
implications. I want to set this straight and get the
proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
How do I got about this???

Thanks

More about : pirated windows

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:23:09 PM

Greetings --

If you are trying to install Service Pack 1a and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

Remember, you should also report whomever sold/gave you the
pirated software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; you've
been defrauded.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Gary Stanley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
> back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
>
> Hello,
> I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
> off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
> England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
> was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
> Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
> I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
> upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
> get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
> uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
> Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
> very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
> implications. I want to set this straight and get the
> proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
> How do I got about this???
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:38:29 PM

Run the Windows XP Product Key Validation Assistant
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows...

If you are getting the following error message when attempting to update to SP1:

Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326904&Product=winxp

You'll have to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional
and perform a "Repair Install" using the new Windows XP Pro CD and Product Key
that comes with it. (You cannot simply change the Product Key)

Reporting Piracy
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Gary Stanley" wrote:

|I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
| back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
|
| Hello,
| I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
| off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
| England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
| was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
| Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
| I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
| upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
| get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
| uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
| Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
| very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
| implications. I want to set this straight and get the
| proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
| How do I got about this???
|
| Thanks
August 8, 2004 1:55:01 PM

First of all you need to stop trusting everyone. This another case of buyer
beware. Forget the "Proper authorities" they do bugger all. Buy a legit copy
and install it. Your laptop may even be hot. }:~)
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 8:28:27 PM

Gary Stanley wrote:

> I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
> back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
>
> Hello,
> I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
> off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
> England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
> was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
> Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
> I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
> upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
> get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
> uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
> Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
> very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
> implications. I want to set this straight and get the
> proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
> How do I got about this???
>
> Thanks
He sold you the laptop, not the software on it. You now have to replace the
software with legal versions.

courtney sends...
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 11:35:29 PM

In article <20b901c47d54$dee215a0$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
> back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
>
> Hello,
> I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
> off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
> England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
> was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
> Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
> I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
> upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
> get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
> uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
> Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
> very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
> implications. I want to set this straight and get the
> proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
> How do I got about this???
>
> Thanks

Look..you got screwed..live with it and go buy a clean copy. There are
ways to get yours to work but this forum is not the place for that info.
!