Pirated Windows XP???

I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??

Hello,
I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
implications. I want to set this straight and get the
proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
How do I got about this???

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about pirated windows

    Greetings --

    If you are trying to install Service Pack 1a and getting the
    following:

    The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

    You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
    WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
    using the new CD and Product Key.

    Remember, you should also report whomever sold/gave you the
    pirated software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; you've
    been defrauded.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Gary Stanley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
    > back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
    >
    > Hello,
    > I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
    > off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
    > England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
    > was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
    > Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
    > I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
    > upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
    > get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
    > uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
    > Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
    > very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
    > implications. I want to set this straight and get the
    > proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
    > How do I got about this???
    >
    > Thanks

    Run the Windows XP Product Key Validation Assistant
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    If you are getting the following error message when attempting to update to SP1:

    Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326904&Product=winxp

    You'll have to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional
    and perform a "Repair Install" using the new Windows XP Pro CD and Product Key
    that comes with it. (You cannot simply change the Product Key)

    Reporting Piracy
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Gary Stanley" wrote:

    |I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
    | back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
    |
    | Hello,
    | I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
    | off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
    | England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
    | was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
    | Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
    | I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
    | upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
    | get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
    | uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
    | Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
    | very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
    | implications. I want to set this straight and get the
    | proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
    | How do I got about this???
    |
    | Thanks

    First of all you need to stop trusting everyone. This another case of buyer
    beware. Forget the "Proper authorities" they do bugger all. Buy a legit copy
    and install it. Your laptop may even be hot. }:~)

    Gary Stanley wrote:

    > I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
    > back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
    >
    > Hello,
    > I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
    > off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
    > England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
    > was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
    > Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
    > I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
    > upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
    > get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
    > uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
    > Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
    > very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
    > implications. I want to set this straight and get the
    > proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
    > How do I got about this???
    >
    > Thanks
    He sold you the laptop, not the software on it. You now have to replace the
    software with legal versions.

    courtney sends...

    In article <20b901c47d54$dee215a0$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I tried sending this to piracy@microsoft.com but it came
    > back unable to send maybe someone here can help me??
    >
    > Hello,
    > I am a 23 yr old male from the UK who bought my laptop
    > off of someone called Scott Brown in Swindon Wiltshire
    > England. I bought it in good faith assuming the software
    > was legit but it appears he may have put a copy of
    > Windows XP on here that doesnt have a valid product key.
    > I have Tried to download the service pack 1 so I can
    > upgrade the computer It said to email you guys. How do I
    > get a valid product key or if I cant do that can I
    > uninstall windows somehow and go out and buy a new one.
    > Im not one to deliberatly get pirated software and am
    > very concerned about this as I realise the possible legal
    > implications. I want to set this straight and get the
    > proper equipment or maybe its juts an error on this end.
    > How do I got about this???
    >
    > Thanks

    Look..you got screwed..live with it and go buy a clean copy. There are
    ways to get yours to work but this forum is not the place for that info.

Windows XP