Strange Network Problem

we have a strange problem since severals weeks.

in a same subnet, it's very difficult to join another computer, just with a
ping.

When we ping the other machine, the first "ping" is ok and then after it's
no more possible to join a machine.

If we made a arp -d of the @IP of the computer then it works one time again
and then not yet ... and so on.

We are in a DNS / DHCP / NT4 environment.

We have try to configure locally the both computers, with fixed @IP and uses
of the lmhosts file and so on ... without success......

When we connect the two computers together with a cable, it's OK ....

Have somebody has already got this kind of strange problem ????

Thanks for your help !

If you know a better newsgroup for this problem, please, let me know

There are a few likely causes of this type of
behavior that's routing, cable or bad NIC.

Open a dos prompt and run ipconfig /all
and verify they are getting they are getting
the correct address. Next ping loopback
address 127.1.1.1. Was this successful?

It might help if you gave a bit more details
of your setup ie router, hub.