gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This is probably a very dumb question,but how do I
open\find my clipboard.I copied some text from a PDF file
and it said it is on my clipboard,but where is that?I
checked through my program list and cannot find it.Please
help.Gary G.

In news:229201c47d56$81248450$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Gary <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> This is probably a very dumb question,but how do I
> open\find my clipboard.I copied some text from a PDF file
> and it said it is on my clipboard,but where is that?I
> checked through my program list and cannot find it.Please
> help.

The clipboard isn't something you really need to find. It's just
a place in the computer's memory. Once you've copied the text to
the clipboard, you can retrieve it in almost any application by
clicking where you want it to be, then choosing Edit | Paste or
pressing Ctrl-V.

You can also see what's in the clipboard by running the clipboard
viewer: go to Start | Run and type CLIPBRD, but there's normally
little reason to do that.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Perform the following:

1. Right-click on your Desktop and select: NEW > SHORTCUT
2. In the Create Shortcut window, type in: CLIPBRD.EXE , and click "Next"
3. In the next window, type in: ClipBoard Viewer , and click "Finish"
4. A ClipBoard Viewer shortcut icon will appear on your Desktop.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Gary" wrote:

| This is probably a very dumb question,but how do I
| open\find my clipboard.I copied some text from a PDF file
| and it said it is on my clipboard,but where is that?I
| checked through my program list and cannot find it.Please
| help.Gary G.

The clipboard is a background program. Once you've copied the text to the clipboard, go to the application you want to paste it in and do so.

You can view the contents of the clipboard by going to Start, Run and entering CLIPBRD

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Perform the following:
>
> 1. Right-click on your Desktop and select: NEW > SHORTCUT
> 2. In the Create Shortcut window, type in: CLIPBRD.EXE , and click
> "Next"
> 3. In the next window, type in: ClipBoard Viewer , and click
> "Finish"
> 4. A ClipBoard Viewer shortcut icon will appear on your Desktop.
>

>> This is probably a very dumb question,but how do I
>> open\find my clipboard.I copied some text from a PDF file
>> and it said it is on my clipboard,but where is that?I
>> checked through my program list and cannot find it.Please
>> help.Gary G.

The only real problem with the Windows Clipboard is that it only retains
data UNTIL the next copy/cut/printscreen entry you execute. For some
retention beyond that there are some free utilities available such as
YankeeClipperIII (http://www.yankee-clipper.net/index.html) or Clipboard
Buddy (http://www.download.com/3302-2384-10170486.html plus several others
that exist.
--
Gene K

In news:OhX86pWfEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Gene K <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> typed:

> The only real problem with the Windows Clipboard is that it
> only
> retains data UNTIL the next copy/cut/printscreen entry you
> execute.
> For some retention beyond that there are some free utilities
> available

I've installed and tried a few of these utilities over the years
and always found that I never used them, and ended up
uninstalling them.

When I use the clipboard it's because I want to move something
from one place to another or from one program to another. It's
very seldom that I would want to keep that item in the clipboard
for possible use later, so such programs end up being overkill
and a needless complication.

Granted that not everyone works the same way I do, and some
people may find such a program useful, but I suspect that the
great majority use the clipboard similarly to the way I do, and
wouldn't find these programs valuable.

Ken Blake wrote:
> I've installed and tried a few of these utilities over the years
> and always found that I never used them, and ended up
> uninstalling them.
>
> When I use the clipboard it's because I want to move something
> from one place to another or from one program to another. It's
> very seldom that I would want to keep that item in the clipboard
> for possible use later, so such programs end up being overkill
> and a needless complication.
>
> Granted that not everyone works the same way I do, and some
> people may find such a program useful, but I suspect that the
> great majority use the clipboard similarly to the way I do, and
> wouldn't find these programs valuable.

I have been using the free version of Clipboard magic for almost 6 years
now. Not necessarily for copy/paste operations, but to take and retain notes
and information. A .clp file will hold an unlimited amount of copied text
and uses a separator for each copy action. The program allows editing of
each clip and you can simply click the line you need to paste. When one gets
to about 400 clips, I save as a text file and start over. I can then use a
freware search application to find info in these files. I wouldn't be
without it. :)

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is probably a very dumb question,but how do I
> open\find my clipboard.I copied some text from a PDF file
> and it said it is on my clipboard,but where is that?I
> checked through my program list and cannot find it.Please
> help.Gary G.

The clipboard path is C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipbrd, shown as an application
in Details view. A double-click on it opens the viewer.

Malv

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Ken Blake wrote:
> > I've installed and tried a few of these utilities over the years
> > and always found that I never used them, and ended up
> > uninstalling them.
> >
> > When I use the clipboard it's because I want to move something
> > from one place to another or from one program to another. It's
> > very seldom that I would want to keep that item in the clipboard
> > for possible use later, so such programs end up being overkill
> > and a needless complication.
> >
> > Granted that not everyone works the same way I do, and some
> > people may find such a program useful, but I suspect that the
> > great majority use the clipboard similarly to the way I do, and
> > wouldn't find these programs valuable.
>
> I have been using the free version of Clipboard magic for almost 6
years
> now. Not necessarily for copy/paste operations, but to take and
retain notes
> and information. A .clp file will hold an unlimited amount of copied
text
> and uses a separator for each copy action. The program allows
editing of
> each clip and you can simply click the line you need to paste. When
one gets
> to about 400 clips, I save as a text file and start over. I can then
use a
> freware search application to find info in these files. I wouldn't
be
> without it. :)

Can the .clp files be moved or copied, especially over a network?

cmsix

Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> I've installed and tried a few of these utilities over the years
>> and always found that I never used them, and ended up
>> uninstalling them.
>>
>> When I use the clipboard it's because I want to move something
>> from one place to another or from one program to another. It's
>> very seldom that I would want to keep that item in the clipboard
>> for possible use later, so such programs end up being overkill
>> and a needless complication.
>>
>> Granted that not everyone works the same way I do, and some
>> people may find such a program useful, but I suspect that the
>> great majority use the clipboard similarly to the way I do, and
>> wouldn't find these programs valuable.
>
> I have been using the free version of Clipboard magic for almost 6
> years now. Not necessarily for copy/paste operations, but to take and
> retain notes and information. A .clp file will hold an unlimited
> amount of copied text and uses a separator for each copy action. The
> program allows editing of each clip and you can simply click the line
> you need to paste. When one gets to about 400 clips, I save as a text
> file and start over. I can then use a freware search application to
> find info in these files. I wouldn't be without it. :)
Agreed. Very handy for "copy and read later" stuff.
--
Gene K

cmsix wrote:
> Can the .clp files be moved or copied, especially over a network?
>
> cmsix

Yes. They have the same properties as a normal .txt file.

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP