Browse trusted domains

I have two NT4 domains. A trust is established, you can view the users for both domains in the User Manager. A network drive has been mapped to the other domain and can be browsed. But, the servers can only ping the other server or the router not workstations. The workstations cannot ping the other domain server. I have set the servers as the Master Browsers and the other domain appears in network neighbourhood but the servers and workstations cannot browse the other network. I need to share resources on the trusted domain so that workstation logged on to DOMAIN1 can access a folder on DOMAIN2. But as the workstation cannot ping or browse I'm stuck. I have added both servers to lmhosts and hosts. Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a routing or subnetting problem.... seems lower level than NT
domains or computer browsing. Or at least you need have confidence in the
lower level connectivity before you even start worrying about trusts etc.

Are you pinging by name or by IP number? Try it by IP first-- then
troubleshoot name resolution.

Try doing a tracert from a workstation on one end to the server on the
other. See where its dying. (And of course make sure you aren't blocking
ICMP -- use another method than PING to test connectivity if its in doubt.)

"ROSE100" <ROSE100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two NT4 domains. A trust is established, you can view the users for
>both domains in the User Manager. A network drive has been mapped to the
>other domain and can be browsed. But, the servers can only ping the other
>server or the router not workstations. The workstations cannot ping the
>other domain server. I have set the servers as the Master Browsers and the
>other domain appears in network neighbourhood but the servers and
>workstations cannot browse the other network. I need to share resources on
>the trusted domain so that workstation logged on to DOMAIN1 can access a
>folder on DOMAIN2. But as the workstation cannot ping or browse I'm stuck.
>I have added both servers to lmhosts and hosts. Any help would be grately
>appreciated.
>
> Thanks

One part of problem is fixed. I had entered default gateway but when looking at ipconfig the default gateway was blank. I had to add it to the DHCP Manager. So can now ping any server or workstation at either site. That's great.

I still can't see the other domain in network neighbourhood. Can map a network drive to DOMAIN2 server from DOMAIN1 server, but cannot map drive from MyPC (on DOMAIN1) to DOMAIN2 server by name or IP address.

Thanks

"Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

> Sounds like a routing or subnetting problem.... seems lower level than NT
> domains or computer browsing. Or at least you need have confidence in the
> lower level connectivity before you even start worrying about trusts etc.
>
> Are you pinging by name or by IP number? Try it by IP first-- then
> troubleshoot name resolution.
>
> Try doing a tracert from a workstation on one end to the server on the
> other. See where its dying. (And of course make sure you aren't blocking
> ICMP -- use another method than PING to test connectivity if its in doubt.)
>

> "ROSE100" <ROSE100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two NT4 domains. A trust is established, you can view the users for
> >both domains in the User Manager. A network drive has been mapped to the
> >other domain and can be browsed. But, the servers can only ping the other
> >server or the router not workstations. The workstations cannot ping the
> >other domain server. I have set the servers as the Master Browsers and the
> >other domain appears in network neighbourhood but the servers and
> >workstations cannot browse the other network. I need to share resources on
> >the trusted domain so that workstation logged on to DOMAIN1 can access a
> >folder on DOMAIN2. But as the workstation cannot ping or browse I'm stuck.
> >I have added both servers to lmhosts and hosts. Any help would be grately
> >appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

Without details of your setup including protocols running
and method of name resolution it would be hard to tell
you why browsing isn't working. Have a look at the
following MS KB article for details on how the computer
browser service enumerates the browse list:

Domain Browsing with TCP/IP and LMHOSTS Files
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q150/8/00.ASP

"ROSE100" <ROSE100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> One part of problem is fixed. I had entered default gateway but when
looking at ipconfig the default gateway was blank. I had to add it to
the DHCP Manager. So can now ping any server or workstation at either
site. That's great.

> I still can't see the other domain in network neighbourhood. Can map
a network drive to DOMAIN2 server from DOMAIN1 server, but cannot map
drive from MyPC (on DOMAIN1) to DOMAIN2 server by name or IP address.

TRENDING THREADS