*PC Won't Keep Time Dispite New Battery

The laptop I'm working on wasn't keeping time. I checked the cmos battery
and it was almost dead. I bought a new one and it tested perfect. Why could
it be that the time still isn't being kept when I reboot. It still reverts
to 2002!
--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo
2 answers Last reply
More about time dispite battery

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:35:12 GMT, "Steve Horrillo"
    <usenet@stephenhorrillo.com> wrote:

    >The laptop I'm working on wasn't keeping time. I checked the cmos battery
    >and it was almost dead. I bought a new one and it tested perfect. Why could
    >it be that the time still isn't being kept when I reboot. It still reverts
    >to 2002!

    I would look for diagnostic software that tests the RTC (real time
    clock) and if that fails then you have your culprit. The RTC is
    embedded in the mb so you if it is under warranty then back it goes
    for an RMA.

    Fisher <fisher@no_email.here> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:35:12 GMT, "Steve Horrillo"
    ><usenet@stephenhorrillo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The laptop I'm working on wasn't keeping time. I checked the cmos battery
    >>and it was almost dead. I bought a new one and it tested perfect. Why could
    >>it be that the time still isn't being kept when I reboot. It still reverts
    >>to 2002!
    >
    >I would look for diagnostic software that tests the RTC (real time
    >clock) and if that fails then you have your culprit. The RTC is
    >embedded in the mb so you if it is under warranty then back it goes
    >for an RMA.

    I had a Toshiba 2 years ago that if left switched off and unplugged for
    more than 30 days ran both the main Lion Battery and the CMOS battery flat
    and lost the clock time and reset the BIOS back to factory default.

    May be unrelated but thought it could be worth mentioning.

    Andy

Homebuilt Battery Systems