To move an adaptor to a new PCI slot, do I need to uninsta..

I would like to move my NEC 5-port USB 2.0 card to another PCI slot.

I no longer have the installation instructions or CD, but I do have backups
of all of the drivers in my system (I ran the DriverGuide Toolkit utility)..

Do I need to uninstall the card before moving it, and then reinstall it?
Or can I just physically move it?

I have Win 2000 Pro. Shuttle AK35GTR mobo (which has onboard USB 1.0
ports).

I am not sure which drivers I would need to uninstall and reinstall, and in
what sequence.

Device Manager shows the following USB devices:

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB Universal Host Controller
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

What is required to move this adaptor card?

- David

jad

just move it AFTER unplugging the machine from the mains.

"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I would like to move my NEC 5-port USB 2.0 card to another PCI slot.
>
> I no longer have the installation instructions or CD, but I do have
backups
> of all of the drivers in my system (I ran the DriverGuide Toolkit
utility)..

> Do I need to uninstall the card before moving it, and then reinstall it?
> Or can I just physically move it?
>
> I have Win 2000 Pro. Shuttle AK35GTR mobo (which has onboard USB 1.0
> ports).
>
> I am not sure which drivers I would need to uninstall and reinstall, and
in
> what sequence.
>
> Device Manager shows the following USB devices:
>
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
>
> What is required to move this adaptor card?
>
> - David

fisher

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:11:41 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>just move it AFTER unplugging the machine from the mains.

Unless it's a Creative Labs Audigy2 soundcard! Grrrrrr! I moved my
Audigy2 to a different PCI slot and dang if I didn't have to go
through the whole friggin driver install again. Grrrrrrrr!

jad

interesting... I have one, I don't recall what slot I moved it to(after
using PCI 1) and I suppose that's a factor, but I never had a driver issue.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:40:22 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>interesting... I have one, I don't recall what slot I moved it to(after
>using PCI 1) and I suppose that's a factor, but I never had a driver issue.

I certainly did, twice to be exact. This was in the early days of the
Audigy2 drivers though so maybe that was a factor. Moved the card to
new PCI slot and new hardware was detected and had to reinstall the
drivers all over again, just pointing the hardware detection to the
current installed drivers wasn't good enough either. I was royally
pissed. No other cards did it when I moved them around.

jad

do you have APIC enabled...or maybe your mainboard is fairly old? The card
does use many resources, Possibly you had many expansion cards using many
IRQ's?

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:17:27 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>do you have APIC enabled...or maybe your mainboard is fairly old? The card
>does use many resources, Possibly you had many expansion cards using many
>IRQ's?

It's an Abit IC7 mb, and yes, I have APIC enabled. Only thing I can
think I may have done that may have been my fault is that I had turned
off PnP OS in the bios because I was maybe running a dual boot of
Linux at the time but with XP that shouldn't matter and I don't really
think that was the situation. No matter, I just make sure I never move
my Audigy2 card ever again. :)

fisher

p.s. Have you seen how many registry entries Creative put in there for
a lousy soundcard? Way more than my ATI 9800pro vid card, It's like
they think their soundcard is the most important piece of hardware in
your PC or something. Certainly overkill and not necessary to make a
soundcard work.

jad

it rivals my ATI AIW(ATI still has it hands down) The entries that I have
run across have been media source's numerous codec and filter entries. under
the hardware 'enum' key there is just the typical entries. I suppose if you
loaded all the software that came with it, you would have quite a few more
than me. AFA the card itself and its input features, its given me 0 reasons
to complain, except that surround sound is faked and for the price I would
have appreciated a better synth for the output. I could never get any bass
out of the sub woofer port. That stupid 4 pole mini jack, that I 'finally'
found, I suspect was the fault.

> p.s. Have you seen how many registry entries Creative put in there for
> a lousy soundcard? Way more than my ATI 9800pro vid card, It's like
> they think their soundcard is the most important piece of hardware in
> your PC or something. Certainly overkill and not necessary to make a
> soundcard work.

fisher

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:17:22 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>it rivals my ATI AIW(ATI still has it hands down) The entries that I have
>run across have been media source's numerous codec and filter entries. under
>the hardware 'enum' key there is just the typical entries. I suppose if you
>loaded all the software that came with it, you would have quite a few more
>than me. AFA the card itself and its input features, its given me 0 reasons
>to complain, except that surround sound is faked and for the price I would
>have appreciated a better synth for the output. I could never get any bass
>out of the sub woofer port. That stupid 4 pole mini jack, that I 'finally'
>found, I suspect was the fault.

Maybe the AIW cards have a ton of reg entries but my 9800pro doesn't.

I just use 2.1 Klipsch Promedia speakers so don't have those issues. I
would have bought the M-Audio Revolution soundcard if they had the
foresight to include hardware acceleration but they didn't so they
lost a sale from me and many others.

"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I would like to move my NEC 5-port USB 2.0 card to another PCI slot.
>
> I no longer have the installation instructions or CD, but I do have
backups
> of all of the drivers in my system (I ran the DriverGuide Toolkit
utility)..

> Do I need to uninstall the card before moving it, and then reinstall it?
> Or can I just physically move it?
>
> I have Win 2000 Pro. Shuttle AK35GTR mobo (which has onboard USB 1.0
> ports).
>
> I am not sure which drivers I would need to uninstall and reinstall, and
in
> what sequence.
>
> Device Manager shows the following USB devices:
>
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
>
> What is required to move this adaptor card?

Dave - Just to be safe, it's best to first remove the device, i.e., thru
Device Manager. Once you've removed the device itself, you can check to see
if there's still a 'ghost' left by opening a command prompt window. At the
command prompt

Type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 [press enter] [include
all the underscores. After 'set' there are no spaces.
Then type: compmgmt.msc [press enter]

When the computer management console comes up, left click on Device Manager.
Click on View, Show Hidden devices.

Click on the + sign next to USB devices. Any that are 'ghosted' - i.e.,
not as clear as others - can be deleted.
Note. While you can go through all of the Device Manager doing this,
'ghosted' ones in Network adapters and Non Plug and Play are not safe to
uninstall unless you know what specifically whether that device can be
uninstalled.

HTH