Folder wont delete...help?

On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get the
message:

"Cannot read from the source file or disk"

If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:

I have rebooted with no change.

The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
applications are close.

How can I delete this unused folder?

thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about folder wont delete help

    os?
    boot to safe mode or an windows startup disk and boot to dos

    can you change the name?

    "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get
    the
    > message:
    >
    > "Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >
    > If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
    > ".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:
    >
    > I have rebooted with no change.
    >
    > The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
    > applications are close.
    >
    > How can I delete this unused folder?
    >
    > thanks

    sorry...its XP.....I cant change the name.....i tried that.

    I can try safe mode and see if I can delete...thats a good idea.

    thanks

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > os?
    > boot to safe mode or an windows startup disk and boot to dos
    >
    > can you change the name?
    >

    > "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On my harddrive I have an empty folder and when I try to delete it I get
    > the
    >> message:
    >>
    >> "Cannot read from the source file or disk"
    >>
    >> If i double click on it to view the content it give an error message:
    >> ".....refers to a location that is unavailable....:
    >>
    >> I have rebooted with no change.
    >>
    >> The folder was created by a Creative application for MP3 audio. All the
    >> applications are close.
    >>
    >> How can I delete this unused folder?
    >>
    >> thanks

    I found this great little program for those riduclous files that won't
    delete. "In use by another program, etc." Called Move on Boot...
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    Kill Bill wrote:
    > I found this great little program for those riduclous files that won't
    > delete. "In use by another program, etc." Called Move on Boot...
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    There is also a program called Hijack This that also can delete files
    on boot. Don't have a link for it, but I'm sure you can find it
    through Google.

    hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
    itself.

    > hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
    > itself.

    which would then allow it to be deleted?

    "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> hijack only removes the registry entries for files, not the actual file
    >> itself.
    >>
    > which would then allow it to be deleted?

    possibly...if it actually gets a chance to kill the source from being loaded
    at startup. Most likely it will be a DLL and being hooked to a BHO. This
    wont stop the DLL from being loaded. safe mode works 90% of the time.
    Alternately it could be loaded from win or sys. ini this could be loaded
    even in safemode. Then the path and file name needs to be remembered and a
    dos disk (+ntfs 3rd party driver if needed) and a deltree/erase would be in
    order. Long file names then come into play and that can be a PITA. The idea
    of a Os that boots from CD(linux) is an advantage, as is a dual booting
    system.
  8. i am having a similar problem, with mine though, i recovered, and i still retained the old documents and settings files, which are now inaccessible to everything that i've tried, safemode, a few programs, though not dos, cause i can't remember how to delete files properly

Homebuilt Hard Drives Systems