System won't boot with Abit HA66 PCI IDE card

Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a linux software raid system, but first I
have to find a way to get all five of my IDE hard disks running on the
same system. I have an Abit HA66 IDE card (Highpoint HPT366 chip). When
I insert this card into the Asus A7V400-MX-SE board in my linux system,
the system will POST, then the HA66 will flash up it's 'hit ctrl-H to
configure' screen, then a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor
and that's it. It does the same thing with or without drives attached.

I put it into my WinXP Home system with a Gigabyte GA-7VA board and it
worked. I even installed the drivers successfully and attached my cdrom
to it as well as flashing it to the 1.28 BIOS. HOWEVER, if I attached
the boot hard drive to it, the results would be identical to what
happens with the Asus board in my linux system: black screen with
flashing cursor.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and how I can remedy this?

TIA,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning on setting up a linux software raid system, but first I have
> to find a way to get all five of my IDE hard disks running on the same
> system. I have an Abit HA66 IDE card (Highpoint HPT366 chip). When I
> insert this card into the Asus A7V400-MX-SE board in my linux system, the
> system will POST, then the HA66 will flash up it's 'hit ctrl-H to
> configure' screen, then a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor
> and that's it. It does the same thing with or without drives attached.
>
> I put it into my WinXP Home system with a Gigabyte GA-7VA board and it
> worked. I even installed the drivers successfully and attached my cdrom to
> it as well as flashing it to the 1.28 BIOS. HOWEVER, if I attached the
> boot hard drive to it, the results would be identical to what happens with
> the Asus board in my linux system: black screen with flashing cursor.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and how I can remedy this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ari

Before you can configure the raid, you must install all your drives. I guess
that you know that.....:). I have had a few problems in the past with
Highpoint controllers being DOA. Once working, they are fine. They also seem
to be a good bit slower on boot-up than some of the others. Are you waiting
long enough? Connect 4 hard drives to it (all jumpered to Master) and try,
optical drives don't work with those. You could also try another PCI slot
and make sure it is seated well. Other than that, it could be a dead
controller. Also, you have to set the boot order in the bios before it will
boot to the OS on the HPT controller. This should be done before installing
the OS, or you may get by with a repair on XP (or it might just boot up
normally).

Ed

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm planning on setting up a linux software raid system, but first I have
>>to find a way to get all five of my IDE hard disks running on the same
>>system. I have an Abit HA66 IDE card (Highpoint HPT366 chip). When I
>>insert this card into the Asus A7V400-MX-SE board in my linux system, the
>>system will POST, then the HA66 will flash up it's 'hit ctrl-H to
>>configure' screen, then a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor
>>and that's it. It does the same thing with or without drives attached.
>>
>>I put it into my WinXP Home system with a Gigabyte GA-7VA board and it
>>worked. I even installed the drivers successfully and attached my cdrom to
>>it as well as flashing it to the 1.28 BIOS. HOWEVER, if I attached the
>>boot hard drive to it, the results would be identical to what happens with
>>the Asus board in my linux system: black screen with flashing cursor.
>>
>>Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and how I can remedy this?
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Ari
>

> Before you can configure the raid, you must install all your drives. I guess
> that you know that.....:). I have had a few problems in the past with
> Highpoint controllers being DOA. Once working, they are fine. They also seem
> to be a good bit slower on boot-up than some of the others. Are you waiting
> long enough?

I've let the cursor screen flash for 5 minutes...how much longer could
that little chip take? :)

> Connect 4 hard drives to it (all jumpered to Master) and try,
> optical drives don't work with those.

The only drive I've been able to get to work with it is an optical
drive. And there are only two IDE sockets on this card, so I think I'd
have to do master/slave for four HDDs, yes?

> Ed Medlin wrote:
>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm planning on setting up a linux software raid system, but first I have
>>>to find a way to get all five of my IDE hard disks running on the same
>>>system. I have an Abit HA66 IDE card (Highpoint HPT366 chip). When I
>>>insert this card into the Asus A7V400-MX-SE board in my linux system, the
>>>system will POST, then the HA66 will flash up it's 'hit ctrl-H to
>>>configure' screen, then a black screen with a flashing underscore cursor
>>>and that's it. It does the same thing with or without drives attached.
>>>
>>>I put it into my WinXP Home system with a Gigabyte GA-7VA board and it
>>>worked. I even installed the drivers successfully and attached my cdrom
>>>to it as well as flashing it to the 1.28 BIOS. HOWEVER, if I attached the
>>>boot hard drive to it, the results would be identical to what happens
>>>with the Asus board in my linux system: black screen with flashing
>>>cursor.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and how I can remedy this?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Ari
>>

>> Before you can configure the raid, you must install all your drives. I
>> guess that you know that.....:). I have had a few problems in the past
>> with Highpoint controllers being DOA. Once working, they are fine. They
>> also seem to be a good bit slower on boot-up than some of the others. Are
>> you waiting long enough?
>
> I've let the cursor screen flash for 5 minutes...how much longer could
> that little chip take? :)

That is plenty .......... :). Shouldn't take more than 10-20 seconds. I am
thinking that you may have a bad controller.

>> Connect 4 hard drives to it (all jumpered to Master) and try, optical
>> drives don't work with those.
>
> The only drive I've been able to get to work with it is an optical drive.
> And there are only two IDE sockets on this card, so I think I'd have to do
> master/slave for four HDDs, yes?

Yes. Some had 4. I haven't ever been able to get a optical drive to work
with those......ur lucky..:). Did it acutally work after boot, or just get
recognized?

Ed

Ed Medlin wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ed Medlin wrote:
>>
>>>"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

>>>Before you can configure the raid, you must install all your drives. I
>>>guess that you know that.....:). I have had a few problems in the past
>>>with Highpoint controllers being DOA. Once working, they are fine. They
>>>also seem to be a good bit slower on boot-up than some of the others. Are
>>>you waiting long enough?
>>
>>I've let the cursor screen flash for 5 minutes...how much longer could
>>that little chip take? :)
>

> That is plenty .......... :). Shouldn't take more than 10-20 seconds. I am
> thinking that you may have a bad controller.
>

>>>Connect 4 hard drives to it (all jumpered to Master) and try, optical
>>>drives don't work with those.
>>
>>The only drive I've been able to get to work with it is an optical drive.
>>And there are only two IDE sockets on this card, so I think I'd have to do
>>master/slave for four HDDs, yes?
>

> Yes. Some had 4. I haven't ever been able to get a optical drive to work
> with those......ur lucky..:). Did it acutally work after boot, or just get
> recognized?
>
> Ed

I played "warcraft III: the frozen throne" from it :)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/