Possible FSMO roles error. Please help !?!

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 14, 2004 12:22:07 PM

We've had an error with the sysvol shares and the scripts not
replicating, and i think i found the error, could someone verify that
my information here is correct or not..

If we Right Click on 'AD Users and Computers', right click on the
domain name, it says that the Operations Master is comp2.domain.com

Now

If we Right Click on 'AD Domains and Trusts', right click on 'AD
Domains and Trusts' again and click on 'Operatiosn Master' it says it
is comp3.domain.com

Could this be causeing the problems that we are having with
replication ?

Thanks

--
Eric

More about : fsmo roles error

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:19:18 PM

In news:9a8f1bf9.0407140722.61eb4bee@posting.google.com,
Eric Giblock <egiblock@yahoo.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> We've had an error with the sysvol shares and the scripts
> not replicating, and i think i found the error, could
> someone verify that my information here is correct or
> not..
>

> If we Right Click on 'AD Users and Computers', right
> click on the domain name, it says that the Operations
> Master is comp2.domain.com

There are three of the five FSMO roles available in AD Users & Computers
RID, Infrastructure, and PDC emulator. One each per domain.

> If we Right Click on 'AD Domains and Trusts', right click
> on 'AD Domains and Trusts' again and click on 'Operatiosn
> Master' it says it is comp3.domain.com

The Domain Naming master is in AD Domains and trusts, there is one per
forest.

> Could this be causeing the problems that we are having
> with replication ?

Not likely, remember there are five FSMO roles, you have found four of the
five, there is one more the Schema master.

197132 - Windows 2000 Active Directory FSMO Roles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;197132

255690 - HOW TO View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User
Interface:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690&Product=win2000#4

234790 - How To Find Servers That Hold Flexible Single Master Operations
Roles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234790&Product=win2000

If you are having replication problems, make sure all DCs and client are
using _ONLY_ the DNS server IP that has the AD domain zone in it. Do not use
ISP's or any DNS address in TCP/IP in _ANY_ position, that does not have
this zone.

For further help on this post these:
ipconfig /all
AD domain name from ADU&C