Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Promoting a BDC to PDC

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 2:23:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I am upgrading my network from NT4 to W2K. I have
installed NT4 on my new server as a BDC. I now want to
promote it to be the only PDC. Do I need to take the
current PDC offline to do this or when I promote the new
BDC to a PDC will the original PDC be automatically
demoted?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

More about : promoting bdc pdc

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

when I promote the new
> BDC to a PDC will the original PDC be automatically
> demoted?

Yes.


hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"aleamont" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2c35801c469c7$49c67dd0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I am upgrading my network from NT4 to W2K. I have
> installed NT4 on my new server as a BDC. I now want to
> promote it to be the only PDC. Do I need to take the
> current PDC offline to do this or when I promote the new
> BDC to a PDC will the original PDC be automatically
> demoted?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:2c35801c469c7$49c67dd0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
aleamont <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am upgrading my network from NT4 to W2K. I have
> installed NT4 on my new server as a BDC. I now want to
> promote it to be the only PDC. Do I need to take the
> current PDC offline to do this or when I promote the new
> BDC to a PDC will the original PDC be automatically
> demoted?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Promote the BDC to the PDC, this will demote the current PDC to a BDC.
Upgrade the PDC to Win2k, this will make it a member of the NT4 domain. Then
run DCPROMO on the newly upgraded machine, this will create your new AD
domain with an NT4 BDC, take note, there is no such thing as a Win2k BDC,
there are only DCs in Win2k. If everything goes OK you can do what ever you
want with the old BDC, if it doesn't you can disconnect it from the network
and promote it to a PDC to be upgraded. You CANNOT not have an NT4 PDC and a
Win2k DC in the same domain so you may want to keep it around for a while
just in case something doesn't happen right.

The most important thing to keep in mind when upgrading an NT4 domain the AD
is, choose a Multi-label DNS name for the AD domain like domain.anything
single-label names are fine for NT4 because they use NetBIOS broadcasts for
Domain controller location, AD uses DNS and single-label names do not work
in the DNS hierarchy.
Also, to prevent a disjointed namespace, in TCP/IP properties of the NT4 PDC
you upgrade make the domain suffix the name you are going to give the AD
domain (domain.anything)
I would also NOT recommend you use the same domain name as your public
domain name, use domain.local or local.domain.com (you can substitute local
for the name of your choice like lan, corp or whatever) Personally I
recommend using local.domain.com because IMO it makes it easier if you have
VPN clients. If you do have VPN clients, it is especially critical for you
to not use your Public domain name as your AD domain because VPN clients can
see both the public namespace and the AD namespace. If you use the same name
for both, your VPN clients will have connection issues due to incorrect
resolution.




--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Related resources
September 24, 2004 11:15:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Kevin,
Would you mind explaining a little more on how VPN clients will have issues
with name resolution? I am looking at a similar issue with my one of our new
AD domains and I'm not sure I understand all of the details.

Thanks!

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:2c35801c469c7$49c67dd0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
> aleamont <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I am upgrading my network from NT4 to W2K. I have
> > installed NT4 on my new server as a BDC. I now want to
> > promote it to be the only PDC. Do I need to take the
> > current PDC offline to do this or when I promote the new
> > BDC to a PDC will the original PDC be automatically
> > demoted?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Promote the BDC to the PDC, this will demote the current PDC to a BDC.
> Upgrade the PDC to Win2k, this will make it a member of the NT4 domain. Then
> run DCPROMO on the newly upgraded machine, this will create your new AD
> domain with an NT4 BDC, take note, there is no such thing as a Win2k BDC,
> there are only DCs in Win2k. If everything goes OK you can do what ever you
> want with the old BDC, if it doesn't you can disconnect it from the network
> and promote it to a PDC to be upgraded. You CANNOT not have an NT4 PDC and a
> Win2k DC in the same domain so you may want to keep it around for a while
> just in case something doesn't happen right.
>
> The most important thing to keep in mind when upgrading an NT4 domain the AD
> is, choose a Multi-label DNS name for the AD domain like domain.anything
> single-label names are fine for NT4 because they use NetBIOS broadcasts for
> Domain controller location, AD uses DNS and single-label names do not work
> in the DNS hierarchy.
> Also, to prevent a disjointed namespace, in TCP/IP properties of the NT4 PDC
> you upgrade make the domain suffix the name you are going to give the AD
> domain (domain.anything)
> I would also NOT recommend you use the same domain name as your public
> domain name, use domain.local or local.domain.com (you can substitute local
> for the name of your choice like lan, corp or whatever) Personally I
> recommend using local.domain.com because IMO it makes it easier if you have
> VPN clients. If you do have VPN clients, it is especially critical for you
> to not use your Public domain name as your AD domain because VPN clients can
> see both the public namespace and the AD namespace. If you use the same name
> for both, your VPN clients will have connection issues due to incorrect
> resolution.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ==========================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ==========================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ==========================================
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 3:38:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:6F176E39-8414-430F-A579-65270F374B1A@microsoft.com,
Nancy <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin,
> Would you mind explaining a little more on how VPN
> clients will have issues with name resolution? I am
> looking at a similar issue with my one of our new AD
> domains and I'm not sure I understand all of the details.

VPN users will have a view of both the internal and external name space.
These VPN clients have no way of discerning which namespace it is looking at
if the name is the same. Many times it will get resolution from the public
DNS servers and cause connectivity to fail because the internal records do
not and should not exist in the public namespace.
Probably the easiest way to make sure the DNS hierarchy works for VPN
clients is to use a sub domain for the internal domain, and delegate that
sub namespace in the public domain to the private IP of the internal DNS
server. This will give DNS a natural hierarchical flow once the VPN
connection is made.

That said, is your public namespace the same as your AD namespace?



--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
me remove the nospam. from my email address.
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
===================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
with OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
===================================
!