Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

Hi,

I have two machines. One machine is able to power on whenever the power cord
is plugged. The another one you have to press the power button. What caused
the difference? I would like to get the second machine power up like the
first one. Appreciate your answer.

jad

bad power switch
incorrectly wired to the mainboard(ATX)

Maximus wrote:

> I have two machines. One machine is able to power on whenever the power cord
> is plugged. The another one you have to press the power button. What caused
> the difference? I would like to get the second machine power up like the
> first one. Appreciate your answer.

If your BIOS doesn't have this option, try a small cap (1 uF) across
your front panel switch/MB connection.

The most common reason for this I have found is a bios setting. It varies
where it is located though. It is the setting for turning the computer back
on after a power failure. If it is set to 'last state' many times it will
power on when you plug it in. The machine that doesn't may be set to 'remain
off'. You can change it, but it won't always make the machine power on when
you plug it in.

In article <42b1ec88$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>, Maximus says...
> Hi,
>
> I have two machines. One machine is able to power on whenever the power cord
> is plugged. The another one you have to press the power button. What caused
> the difference? I would like to get the second machine power up like the
> first one. Appreciate your answer.

Some BIOSes allow you to set the PC to automatically fire up when mains
comes on.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

JohnS

Plug it is. If it powers on, then turn it off with the switch
on front of case. That will reset the logic behavior to
power on only with the switch.

johns