Network encryption question - pw - bruteforce howlong?

I have a netget wifi system on my home computers.
The router has a firewall and Iusally keep the XP firewall off because
I can access the other computers in my system with it on.
I have the WEP enabled on the cards and use the 64 bit encryption.
Anyone have an idea how secure this is?

EX. If I attack a file encrypted with RAR and use brute force, I can
guess maybe 100-400 K passwords a second. Using this I can figure out
how long it would take to crack an X length pw based on the number of
possible characters for each ( what? ) place in the pw.
How would you figure this with 64 bit.....

Clueless

jad

64 bit x 25 years in jail = loss of freedom

"Brett Miller" <Brett@miller.com> wrote in message
>I have a netget wifi system on my home computers.
> The router has a firewall and Iusally keep the XP firewall off because
> I can access the other computers in my system with it on.
> I have the WEP enabled on the cards and use the 64 bit encryption.
> Anyone have an idea how secure this is?
>
> EX. If I attack a file encrypted with RAR and use brute force, I can
> guess maybe 100-400 K passwords a second. Using this I can figure out
> how long it would take to crack an X length pw based on the number of
> possible characters for each ( what? ) place in the pw.
> How would you figure this with 64 bit.....
>
> Clueless

In article <7i14b1djkf8bo38rskjncp29ofn92ae6k5@4ax.com>, Brett Miller
says...
> I have a netget wifi system on my home computers.
> The router has a firewall and Iusally keep the XP firewall off because
> I can access the other computers in my system with it on.

I take it you've not been into the XP Firewall settings, enabled
exceptions, clicked ont he Exceptions tab and ticked File and Printer
Sharing?

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

peter

In article <7i14b1djkf8bo38rskjncp29ofn92ae6k5@4ax.com>,
Brett@miller.com says...
> I have a netget wifi system on my home computers.
> The router has a firewall and Iusally keep the XP firewall off because
> I can access the other computers in my system with it on.
> I have the WEP enabled on the cards and use the 64 bit encryption.
> Anyone have an idea how secure this is?
>
> EX. If I attack a file encrypted with RAR and use brute force, I can
> guess maybe 100-400 K passwords a second. Using this I can figure out
> how long it would take to crack an X length pw based on the number of
> possible characters for each ( what? ) place in the pw.
> How would you figure this with 64 bit.....
>
> Clueless

Can't remember where, but there was an article a couple of months back
that showed how easy WEP encryption was to crack. Some local
police/government force did demo for IT/local media by cracking (not
sure if 64 or 128-bit WEP) in about 3 minutes.

I know it's all a bit vague but I'm sure the original link was posted in
a newsgroup. So you could try searching for it.

--
Pete Ives