Stupid power supply question (?)

I would like to upgrade the "Smartpower" power supply in an Antec TX640 case to an Antec "Truepower 2" model (Antec's website seems to infer that the True 2's can be used in any Antec case).

I noticed though, that the Truepower 2 supplies - as well as those made by Enermax and others - have a fan mounted on top. Installed, it looks like that top fan would end up only about 1/4" below the top of the system case. Wouldn't this effectively block that fan off? I see these types of supplies used in similar cases mounted the same way... it seems like a bad idea.
15 answers Last reply
More about stupid power supply question

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:57:20 -0700, "Sofa Slug"
    <sofaslug_SPAMNOT@arts.ucla.edu> wrote:

    >I would like to upgrade the "Smartpower" power supply in an Antec TX640 case to an Antec "Truepower 2" model (Antec's website seems to infer that the True 2's can be used in any Antec case).
    >
    >I noticed though, that the Truepower 2 supplies - as well as those made by Enermax and others - have a fan mounted on top. Installed, it looks like that top fan would end up only about 1/4" below the top of the system case. Wouldn't this effectively block that fan off? I see these types of supplies used in similar cases mounted the same way... it seems like a bad idea.

    It shouldn't point upwards. In fact, if you did that, you can be
    fairly certain you've installed it upside down. That's assuming
    that's even possible. I seem to recall that the screw holes on the
    case and PSU are arranged in a specific pattern to avoid that.

    On PC power supplies that have two fans, the port for the second fan
    faces downwards.

    MCheu

    the fans on the bottom, not the top.

    "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > the fans on the bottom, not the top.

    Actually, many new PSUs have top mounted fans (BTX ready) if they have the
    24pin MB connectors. If you install them in an ATX case you must install
    upside down. My OCZ modular PSU had the convertable 20-24 pin connector and
    the top mounted fan. I had to remove the fan grill and install it upside
    down but still needed the 24 pin connector for this MB.

    Ed

    who are you kidding? no ones adopted BTX, newegg doesn't even carry one.

    > who are you kidding? no ones adopted BTX, newegg doesn't even carry one.

    no one? sure about that? newegg? the lord on high 'vender' reseller doesnt
    have one, so the standard won't be in practice?

    > "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > the fans on the bottom, not the top.
    > >
    > > Actually, many new PSUs have top mounted fans (BTX ready) if they have
    the
    > > 24pin MB connectors. If you install them in an ATX case you must install
    > > upside down. My OCZ modular PSU had the convertable 20-24 pin connector
    > and
    > > the top mounted fan. I had to remove the fan grill and install it upside
    > > down but still needed the 24 pin connector for this MB.
    > >
    > > Ed

    There is really no such thing as right side up or upside down for an ATX
    power supply (that I have seen anyway) Because of the screw hole
    configuration, they can only be put in one way. If you look at the picture,
    the fan is on the 'top' but if you look at where the offset screw hole is
    located, the fan will be on the bottom when mounted in an ATX case.

    Ed Medlin wrote:

    > Actually, many new PSUs have top mounted fans (BTX ready) if they have the
    > 24pin MB connectors. If you install them in an ATX case you must install
    > upside down. My OCZ modular PSU had the convertable 20-24 pin connector and
    > the top mounted fan. I had to remove the fan grill and install it upside
    > down but still needed the 24 pin connector for this MB.

    I suggest you read:

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5C20040805174550_BTX_System_Design_Guide_1.0.pdf

    "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > who are you kidding? no ones adopted BTX, newegg doesn't even carry one.

    Not kidding anyone. Take a look at the OCZ 24 pin PSUs and tell me. Every
    single one of them has the fan on top. Why, please tell me, are they made
    that way. Every single PSU I have seen with a 24 pin MB connector is that
    way. BTX is coming. Because Newegg doesn't carry PSUs that are BTX ready
    surely doesn't mean they don't exist. 24 pin connectors and top-exhaust PSU
    fans are two things that will come with BTX......... I did not say anyone
    has adopted BTX, just that most of the newer PSUs supporting the S-775
    series of boards are BTX ready.

    Ed

    take a 'look' where, off the catalog? They always show the fan 'up' in
    pictures, even antec had me going a while back when I started looking into a
    purchase.

    "Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > There is really no such thing as right side up or upside down for an ATX
    > power supply (that I have seen anyway) Because of the screw hole
    > configuration, they can only be put in one way. If you look at the
    > picture, the fan is on the 'top' but if you look at where the offset screw
    > hole is located, the fan will be on the bottom when mounted in an ATX
    > case.

    In my Lian Li PC60, I have a removeable bracket that the PSU mounts to and
    that had to be turned a 180 for this PSU. Therefore, if you have "fixed"
    holes in your case for mounting the PSU, it would be upside down.

    Ed

    "ric" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message news:42B3B504.4820C6C0@home.com...
    > Ed Medlin wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, many new PSUs have top mounted fans (BTX ready) if they have
    >> the
    >> 24pin MB connectors. If you install them in an ATX case you must install
    >> upside down. My OCZ modular PSU had the convertable 20-24 pin connector
    >> and
    >> the top mounted fan. I had to remove the fan grill and install it upside
    >> down but still needed the 24 pin connector for this MB.
    >
    > I suggest you read:
    >
    > http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5C20040805174550_BTX_System_Design_Guide_1.0.pdf

    Good info. Shows the PSU (as far as I can see) in fig 181 being bottom/rear
    so the fan would be top mounted if in position 14. There are two designs in
    the document and the other is a bit vague on the PSU physical design. An
    interesting read, thanks much Ric.

    Ed

    I've seen power supplies like these for years. It's just a stupid design
    defect.

    "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

    > "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > who are you kidding? no ones adopted BTX, newegg doesn't even carry one.
    >
    > Not kidding anyone. Take a look at the OCZ 24 pin PSUs and tell me. Every
    > single one of them has the fan on top. Why, please tell me, are they made
    > that way. Every single PSU I have seen with a 24 pin MB connector is that
    > way. BTX is coming. Because Newegg doesn't carry PSUs that are BTX ready
    > surely doesn't mean they don't exist. 24 pin connectors and top-exhaust
    PSU
    > fans are two things that will come with BTX......... I did not say anyone
    > has adopted BTX, just that most of the newer PSUs supporting the S-775
    > series of boards are BTX ready.
    >
    > Ed

    Never seen anything like that. Learn something new every day. Every ATX case
    I have seen that does not have the bracket you have has the offset hole on
    the upper left (facing the back of the case). In the case of the power
    supply mentioned (even the OCZ), the fan would always be on the the bottom
    when installed properly. Also it would not be a top exhaust fan, the fan
    pulls air toward it and out the back of the powersupply. As far as BTX
    goes, the design does not call for the fan on top, the PSU generally mounts
    flush (or pretty close to flush) with the top of the case. The fan must
    either be at the back of the PSU, on the bottom or even at the 'front' of
    it. All configurations have the fan pulling air into the PSU and out the
    back. Take a look at the pictures on this page:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7200Series/1008274/1008274faq5.shtml

    This is Gateway's BTX chassis. The fan is in the back of the PSU.

    > "Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> There is really no such thing as right side up or upside down for an ATX
    >> power supply (that I have seen anyway) Because of the screw hole
    >> configuration, they can only be put in one way. If you look at the
    >> picture, the fan is on the 'top' but if you look at where the offset
    >> screw hole is located, the fan will be on the bottom when mounted in an
    >> ATX case.
    >
    > In my Lian Li PC60, I have a removeable bracket that the PSU mounts to and
    > that had to be turned a 180 for this PSU. Therefore, if you have "fixed"
    > holes in your case for mounting the PSU, it would be upside down.
    >
    > Ed
    >>

    >> "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Actually, many new PSUs have top mounted fans (BTX ready) if they have
    >>> the 24pin MB connectors. If you install them in an ATX case you must
    >>> install upside down. My OCZ modular PSU had the convertable 20-24 pin
    >>> connector and the top mounted fan. I had to remove the fan grill and
    >>> install it upside down but still needed the 24 pin connector for this
    >>> MB.
    >>>
    >>> Ed

    yes, no one.

    newegg was just an example, and i think a good one, since it's one of the
    most popular vendors with one of the largest selections.

    try searching pricewatch for BTX (not even limiting it to PSUs but just BTX)
    and hardly anything comes up. also what few PSUs you will find are ATX PSUs
    that are "BTX ready".
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Last I checked, newegg had one BTX case. How many can you find at mwave,
    > zipzoomfly, and techonweb? Few to none ...

    What's up with ZipZoomFly lately? They don't have much listed on their site
    anymore...

Homebuilt Power Supplies Cases Antec Systems