Cross Domain Share

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi guys,
Here is my question: I got a brand new domain set up a few weeks ago with Windows 2003 server. Now I am trying to move some of the users from my old domain to this new domain. Yet, since all the file servers are attached to my old domain, users who moved to the new domain cannot be able to login with current login account. So I am just wondering is there any way users can obtain files from file servers attached on my old domains in this situation?
I have set up a two-way trust relationship on both domains.
Thank you very much for your help. I am really appreciated.

In news:5A57FA76-1E6D-47CC-AF64-418156D27617@microsoft.com,
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> my old domain, users who moved to the new domain cannot
> be able to login with current login account.
Please elaborate on this statement. Do you mean users are not able to logon
to the Win2k3 domain?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:5A57FA76-1E6D-47CC-AF64-418156D27617@microsoft.com,
Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
So I am just
> wondering is there any way users can obtain files from
> file servers attached on my old domains in this
> situation?

In addition, make sure the users migrated to the new AD domain have
permission to access the server from the network and permission to access
the shares and files.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Hi Chris,

If the trust relationship is functional the users should
be able to choose either domain in the drop down list
for domains depending on where their user account
resides and logon successfully. It may help if you
describe exactly which account they are using along
the domain choice in the drop down list for domains
on the logon screen.

"Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> Hi guys,
> Here is my question: I got a brand new domain set up a few weeks ago
with Windows 2003 server. Now I am trying to move some of the users from
my old domain to this new domain. Yet, since all the file servers are
attached to my old domain, users who moved to the new domain cannot be
able to login with current login account. So I am just wondering is
there any way users can obtain files from file servers attached on my
old domains in this situation?
> I have set up a two-way trust relationship on both domains.
> Thank you very much for your help. I am really appreciated.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Kevin,
What I meant "the user couldn't login" was that all of the users can't log into those files servers attached to my old domain controller after switching the domain.
For instance, Domain A is my old domain with file servers: server01, server02, and server03 attached. Domain B is the domain I recently setup with only one domain controller. Both domain controllers are connecting with each other by using two-way trust connection. And user accounts in Domain A have been imported to Domain B.
If user John logged into Domain, he can access to File Server01, 02, and 03 with his current credential without any problems. Yet, if John log into Domain B, he can no long be able to access those file servers unless by using domain administrator password which is not the way that I want to. So my question is how can to make John gain the access to File server01, 02, and 03 from Domain B without reconstructing my whole domain?
I will eventually move all the File servers to Domain B after switching majority of users to Domain B. So what would be the simplest and easilest way to start??
Thanks
Chris

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:5A57FA76-1E6D-47CC-AF64-418156D27617@microsoft.com,
> Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > my old domain, users who moved to the new domain cannot
> > be able to login with current login account.
> Please elaborate on this statement. Do you mean users are not able to logon
> to the Win2k3 domain?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Michael,
Here is what happened to me: Domain A is my old domain with file servers: server01, server02, and server03 attached. Domain B is the domain I recently setup with only one domain controller. Both domain controllers are connecting with each other by using two-way trust connection. And user accounts in Domain A have been imported to Domain B.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> If the trust relationship is functional the users should
> be able to choose either domain in the drop down list
> for domains depending on where their user account
> resides and logon successfully. It may help if you
> describe exactly which account they are using along
> the domain choice in the drop down list for domains
> on the logon screen.
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
> > Hi guys,
> > Here is my question: I got a brand new domain set up a few weeks ago
> with Windows 2003 server. Now I am trying to move some of the users from
> my old domain to this new domain. Yet, since all the file servers are
> attached to my old domain, users who moved to the new domain cannot be
> able to login with current login account. So I am just wondering is
> there any way users can obtain files from file servers attached on my
> old domains in this situation?
> > I have set up a two-way trust relationship on both domains.
> > Thank you very much for your help. I am really appreciated.

What do you mean by "user accounts from Domain A
have been imported Domain B"? Can I assume you
gave these accounts Domain A accounts privileges on
the Domain B resources? Or do you mean you have
duplicate accounts in either domain? If the latter than
you don't need to use duplicate accounts at all. tWith
a trust relationship in place the DC in Domain B should
pass the credentials back to a Domain A DC for
authentication.