Easy graphics card question - Dell Dimension 8300

Easy for you maybe - have I got an AGP or a PCI FX5200 card?
I'm looking to replace it with a 6600 but would prefer to buy the correct
model!
Thanks
David

JohnS

> Easy for you maybe - have I got an AGP or a PCI FX5200 card?

Best way to check what you are suppose to have in
a DELL is to enter the service tag number on the DELL
web support page. Reason I suggest this is you sound
unsure about what you have at all. That might not be
a 5200 even, and it might be something like a Matrox
450 which is indeed an oldie but a goodie PCI video
card. I'm guessing you have an AGP card of some
kind.

johns

"DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Easy for you maybe - have I got an AGP or a PCI FX5200 card?
> I'm looking to replace it with a 6600 but would prefer to buy the correct
> model!
> Thanks
> David

Well, you'll have to open the box or maybe look at the invoice to to see
whether it's an add-on card or onboard video.
Most likely it's AGP. But it could be an onboard AGP card leaving no AGP
slot for upgrading.
If you have an AGP slot it will be a long brown slot next to the white PCI
slots.

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message

>> Easy for you maybe - have I got an AGP or a PCI FX5200 card?
>
> Best way to check what you are suppose to have in
> a DELL is to enter the service tag number on the DELL
> web support page. Reason I suggest this is you sound
> unsure about what you have at all. That might not be
> a 5200 even, and it might be something like a Matrox
> 450 which is indeed an oldie but a goodie PCI video
> card. I'm guessing you have an AGP card of some
> kind.
>
> johns

definately an FX5200 (invoice and hardware profile - confirms on Dells
system alanysis)
Still can't tell if AGP, integrated or PCI without opening it and its
position makes that difficult but if needs be and I can'r get the answer -
then move it I will
Thanks
David

If it shipped with the machine it is an AGP card. The 8300 series does not
have integrated graphics.
With the 8400 Dell began shipping PCI Express cards. The FX5200 is not
available in a PCI-E version anyway.

"Tweek" <shawnwingetREMOVEME@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If it shipped with the machine it is an AGP card. The 8300 series does not
> have integrated graphics.
> With the 8400 Dell began shipping PCI Express cards. The FX5200 is not
> available in a PCI-E version anyway.
>
> "DCA" <dca860MAPS@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Easy for you maybe - have I got an AGP or a PCI FX5200 card?
>> I'm looking to replace it with a 6600 but would prefer to buy the correct
>> model!
>> Thanks
>> David

That's what I needed to know - thanks