logging on

I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do not know any user names or passwords and I need to get in so that I can use this computer while I am deployed to Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to do.

In news:B72302C9-D9C6-4B4A-99A2-3192A3D6C468@microsoft.com,
Greg Hillier <Greg Hillier@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do
> not know any user names or passwords and I need to get in
> so that I can use this computer while I am deployed to
> Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the
> computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to
> do.

Did you get the Windows disk with it?
What version of Windows is on it?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

You'll need to recover the local administrator
password in order to logon to the machine.
If the computer was/is a domain member
you will get a choice for domains or a drop
down list for domains. You'll need to select
the computer name once you recover the admin
password.

There are a number of different ways to recover
the password. Do a search on the web for "lost
administrator password" and you'll find plenty of
ways.
"Greg Hillier" <Greg Hillier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do not know any user
names or passwords and I need to get in so that I can use this computer
while I am deployed to Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the
computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to do.

i did not get the windows disk and it is windows nt workstation 4.0

In news:66A989A4-3932-4D7E-A1EC-39BC39BDA195@microsoft.com,
Greg Hillier <GregHillier@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> i did not get the windows disk and it is windows nt
> workstation 4.0
You can take a look at this:
http://www.is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips262.shtml

You might consider getting windows XP, if the hardware can handle it.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:B72302C9-D9C6-4B4A-99A2-3192A3D6C468@microsoft.com,
> Greg Hillier <Greg Hillier@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do
> > not know any user names or passwords and I need to get in
> > so that I can use this computer while I am deployed to
> > Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the
> > computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to
> > do.
>
> Did you get the Windows disk with it?
> What version of Windows is on it?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps

No I did not get the windows disk with it. It is runnig windows nt workstation 4.0.

No I did not get the disk and it is running windows nt workstation 4.0.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:B72302C9-D9C6-4B4A-99A2-3192A3D6C468@microsoft.com,
> Greg Hillier <Greg Hillier@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do
> > not know any user names or passwords and I need to get in
> > so that I can use this computer while I am deployed to
> > Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the
> > computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to
> > do.
>
> Did you get the Windows disk with it?
> What version of Windows is on it?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================

I do not have the disc and the system is windows nt workstation 4.0

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:B72302C9-D9C6-4B4A-99A2-3192A3D6C468@microsoft.com,
> Greg Hillier <Greg Hillier@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I just bought a notepad and cannot login in because I do
> > not know any user names or passwords and I need to get in
> > so that I can use this computer while I am deployed to
> > Iraq. I don't care about what is currently on the
> > computer so if it is lost I don't care what do I need to
> > do.
>
> Did you get the Windows disk with it?
> What version of Windows is on it?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

Greg,

If you can get a Windows 2000 Installation CD and
assuming the system has a CD ROM drive you can
boot to dos and delete the SAM file from the C:\winnt\
system32\config folder. Reboot and logon using the
administrator account and a blank password.