Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup and
the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
assistance!
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:08:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi,

I suggest that you follow these steps:

1. Add the new NT server to the domain.

2. Prompt the new server to PDC. The original PDC will be demoted to BDC.

3. Move the new PDC out of the domain to test the Disaster Recovery scenario.

4. Prompt the original PDC which is now BDC to PDC.

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
=========================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
from your issue.
=========================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>Subject: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:18 -0700
>Lines: 8
>Message-ID: <437001c47329$3aa51fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>Thread-Index: AcRzKTqlDGwHKjNpSde0qYskFDqxAw==
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:120796
>NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftngxa12.phx.gbl 10.40.1.164
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>
>In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
>restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
>environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
>and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup and
>the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
>not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
>assistance!
>
>
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:02:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hello William,

Unfortunately, I will have new hardware and no network
connectivity at the Disaster Recovery Site. What are the
steps to restore a PDC from backup media, knowing that
this would be an "island" Domain and not connected to
other BDC servers?

Thanks and Regards,

Barton Davis

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,
>
>I suggest that you follow these steps:
>
>1. Add the new NT server to the domain.
>
>2. Prompt the new server to PDC. The original PDC will be
demoted to BDC.
>
>3. Move the new PDC out of the domain to test the
Disaster Recovery scenario.
>
>4. Prompt the original PDC which is now BDC to PDC.
>
>If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let me
know.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>William Wang
>Microsoft Online Support Engineer
>
>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>=========================================
>When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
>your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
>from your issue.
>=========================================
>
>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
>--------------------
>>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
>>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>Subject: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:18 -0700
>>Lines: 8
>>Message-ID: <437001c47329$3aa51fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>
>>MIME-Version: 1.0
>>Content-Type: text/plain;
>> charset="iso-8859-1"
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>>Thread-Index: AcRzKTqlDGwHKjNpSde0qYskFDqxAw==
>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>>Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
>>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:120796
>>NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftngxa12.phx.gbl 10.40.1.164
>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>>
>>In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
>>restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
>>environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
>>and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup
and
>>the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
>>not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
>>assistance!
>>
>>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi,

In this case where there is no network connectivity at the the Disaster
Recovery site, we may try to use the NTBACKUP utility to backup the PDC, and
then restore the backup on the new server. However, this is not a supported
way and we cannot guarantee it will work. If it does not work, we have to
establish network connection between the production site and the test site,
and perform the steps as I mentioned in the previous post.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
=========================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
from your issue.
=========================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>References: <437001c47329$3aa51fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>
<9M9Vnf5cEHA.3204@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl>
>Subject: RE: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:02:36 -0700
>Lines: 79
>Message-ID: <514901c473f3$226ecb30$a501280a@phx.gbl>
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>Thread-Index: AcRz8yJu+CYgy3jBT06zWUEgEnym+Q==
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>Path: cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl
>Xref: cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:121576
>NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftngxa13.phx.gbl 10.40.1.165
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>
>Hello William,
>
>Unfortunately, I will have new hardware and no network
>connectivity at the Disaster Recovery Site. What are the
>steps to restore a PDC from backup media, knowing that
>this would be an "island" Domain and not connected to
>other BDC servers?
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>
>Barton Davis
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi,
>>
>>I suggest that you follow these steps:
>>
>>1. Add the new NT server to the domain.
>>
>>2. Prompt the new server to PDC. The original PDC will be
>demoted to BDC.
>>
>>3. Move the new PDC out of the domain to test the
>Disaster Recovery scenario.
>>
>>4. Prompt the original PDC which is now BDC to PDC.
>>
>>If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let me
>know.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>William Wang
>>Microsoft Online Support Engineer
>>
>>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>>=========================================
>>When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
>>your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
>>from your issue.
>>=========================================
>>
>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>confers no rights.
>>--------------------
>>>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
>>>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>>Subject: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>>>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:18 -0700
>>>Lines: 8
>>>Message-ID: <437001c47329$3aa51fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>
>>>MIME-Version: 1.0
>>>Content-Type: text/plain;
>>> charset="iso-8859-1"
>>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>>>Thread-Index: AcRzKTqlDGwHKjNpSde0qYskFDqxAw==
>>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>>>Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
>>>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
>microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain:120796
>>>NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftngxa12.phx.gbl 10.40.1.164
>>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>>>
>>>In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
>>>restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
>>>environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
>>>and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup
>and
>>>the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
>>>not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
>>>assistance!
>>>
>>>
>>
>>.
>>
>
!