Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database

In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup and
the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
assistance!

Hi,

I suggest that you follow these steps:

1. Add the new NT server to the domain.

2. Prompt the new server to PDC. The original PDC will be demoted to BDC.

3. Move the new PDC out of the domain to test the Disaster Recovery scenario.

4. Prompt the original PDC which is now BDC to PDC.

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

--------------------
>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>Subject: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:18 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>
>In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
>restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
>environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
>and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup and
>the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
>not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
>assistance!

Hello William,

Unfortunately, I will have new hardware and no network
connectivity at the Disaster Recovery Site. What are the
steps to restore a PDC from backup media, knowing that
this would be an "island" Domain and not connected to
other BDC servers?

Thanks and Regards,

Barton Davis

confers no rights.
>--------------------
>>From: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>Sender: <BartonFromWharton@news.postalias>
>>Subject: Backup and Restore of NT 4.0 PDC SAM Database
>>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:18 -0700
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain
>>
>>In a nutshell, what are the steps to backing up and
>>restoring an NT 4.0 PDC onto new hardware in a test
>>environment? I am testing a Disaster Recovery Scenario
>>and need to know what files (registry, etc.) to backup
and
>>the steps to restore a PDC on different hardware that is
>>not connected to my Production network. Thanks for your
>>assistance!
>>

>.

Hi,

In this case where there is no network connectivity at the the Disaster
Recovery site, we may try to use the NTBACKUP utility to backup the PDC, and
then restore the backup on the new server. However, this is not a supported
way and we cannot guarantee it will work. If it does not work, we have to
establish network connection between the production site and the test site,
and perform the steps as I mentioned in the previous post.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.