Building first system: advice on AMD Sempron + MOBO

I am building my first system, and after some research,
I am looking at the following CPU/mobo combination:

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro motherboard
AMD Sempron 3100+ (Socket 754)

Any reason why this would not work?
Any general advice?

- raid (both IDE and SATA),
- gigabyte ethernet
- quiet: good fan control
- no reported problems with linux
(which is what I will use on it)

My only concern is that it does not seem
to support all AMD processors (especially
slow Semprons); on the other hand, I will
most likely not change the processor once
the system is built.

Thanks,

Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about building system advice sempron mobo

    I don't recommend it. For about $40 more you can get the Athlon 3000, and
    there is quite a difference.

    johns

    The 3100+ is a great budget processor, however the Athlon 64 2800+ is less
    than $10 more and gives you the 64-bit capability and 512k cache. The A64
    3000+ is only about $30 more than the Sempron. Don't let the PR rating fool
    you. The Sempron is rated in relative performance to the Celeron while the
    A64 is rated compared to the P4. As far as the board not supporting slower
    Sempron's goes, the Sempron comes in Socket A and Socket 754 packages so the
    Socket A ones will not work in the board you listed simply because they
    won't fit. If you are looking to be somewhat future proof (no guarantee
    though), an nForce 4 S939 board with a A64 3000+ is a very good choice . It
    would run you probably $60 more than the combo you are currently
    considering. Then you would have the ability to upgrade to a dual core
    processor down the road. It is also PCI express so that upgradability is
    available too.

    "plampione" <plampione@mm.st> wrote in message
    >I am building my first system, and after some research,
    > I am looking at the following CPU/mobo combination:
    >
    > Gigabyte K8NS-Pro motherboard
    > AMD Sempron 3100+ (Socket 754)
    >
    > Any reason why this would not work?
    > Any general advice?
    >
    > - raid (both IDE and SATA),
    > - gigabyte ethernet
    > - quiet: good fan control
    > - no reported problems with linux
    > (which is what I will use on it)
    >
    > My only concern is that it does not seem
    > to support all AMD processors (especially
    > slow Semprons); on the other hand, I will
    > most likely not change the processor once
    > the system is built.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    Thank you all!
    After reading this, and doing some more investigation,
    I am undecided between:

    Abit AV8 + Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939)

    Abit KV8 Pro + Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)

    I will try to decide... I am not so much concerned about
    $50 more or less; my main problem is which
    system will run Debian 3.1 stable with the least
    installation problems (an easier installation would be
    well worth the extra cost!).

    Thanks,

    Peter

    They will both run it equally well. Socket 939 has the better upgrade path.
    You'll be able to plop in a dual core chip if you want to later.

    > Thank you all!
    > After reading this, and doing some more investigation,
    > I am undecided between:
    >
    > Abit AV8 + Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939)
    >
    > Abit KV8 Pro + Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)
    >
    > I will try to decide... I am not so much concerned about
    > $50 more or less; my main problem is which
    > system will run Debian 3.1 stable with the least
    > installation problems (an easier installation would be
    > well worth the extra cost!).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

Homebuilt Sempron AMD Systems