Wins server on a NT 4 domain

ricardo

Hi all...

Here in the company i work for we have more or less 300 computers, divided
in subgroups of about 50 per subnet by the router... We use the file and
printer sharing on all computers, and the ip comes from a dhcp server, a
windows NT 4.

If I make a wins server will my network goes any faster??? Does the DHCP
retranmit the wins server ip to all the computers???

thanks...

It depends on your Clients. If you have any Win9x machines, then yes WINS
will help. If there are no Win9x machines, but you do have Win2K or XP or
are planing to go to Win2K or XP then you need a DNS server for YOUR system
(do not confuse with ISPs DNS). Note MS is moving away from WINS and using
Dynamic DNS for name resolution.
And yes the clients will automaticaly update the WINS server.
Now If you setup WINS besure all machines have NetBUIE and TCP (also If you
do have Win9x machines and do not use a Novel server then be sure SPX
[installed by default] is removed from those machines). If you go for DNS
(no Win9x) you only need TCP.
Hope this helps
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"Ricardo" <r_luceac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
>
> Here in the company i work for we have more or less 300 computers, divided
> in subgroups of about 50 per subnet by the router... We use the file and
> printer sharing on all computers, and the ip comes from a dhcp server, a
> windows NT 4.
>
> If I make a wins server will my network goes any faster??? Does the DHCP
> retranmit the wins server ip to all the computers???
>

> thanks...

Just a couple of comments.

First, While you didn't mention NT, it falls into the same category as
9x in that it relies on NetBIOS for MS networking functions.

Second, I believe you meant to say NetBIOS (Network Input/Output
System), not NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface).

Over the years, MS's provided 3 transport protocols provided with their
OSs; NetBEUI, IPX/SPX (Nwlink), and TCP/IP. Each of these provided a
mechanism to support NetBIOS. With TCP/IP, it's referred to as NetBIOS
over TCP/IP (NetBT or NBT). Full MS networking was possible with any one
of these transport protocols, though combinations also worked.

Notes:

NetBEUI isn't routable.

I believe W2k and XP) come with only TCP/IP. No Nwlink or NetBEUI.

All MS OSs prior to W2k relied on NetBIOS for all MS networking
functions (e.g. file and print sharing, NT domains, browsing, etc). W2k
(and I assume XP) do not require NetBT in a native environment. However,
in a mixed environment, NetBT is required to allow MS networking with
pre-W2k systems.

--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).