Will 64 Bit Mobos run 32 Bit Windows XP Pro. and CPU?

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=639

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130485#DetailSpecs

Will this board run 32 bit Windows XP and a 32 bit CPU? Do the specs
simply mean up to 64 bit?

It made no sense to me why they didn't have all the 64 bit drivers for
64 bit XP and have what appears to be "regular" XP. On the other hand,
it is a 939 type slot, so I am confused.

Thank you for any help.

But what is the "939" slot? Will the 32 bit CPU fit in that?

<needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote...

> Will this board run 32 bit Windows XP and a 32 bit CPU?

Yes.

> It made no sense to me why they didn't have all the 64 bit drivers for
> 64 bit XP and have what appears to be "regular" XP. On the other hand,
> it is a 939 type slot, so I am confused.

The 64-bit version of XP is brand-new, so not all mfgrs have drivers for it.

In article <1119360257.217073.136640@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
says...

> Will this board run 32 bit Windows XP and a 32 bit CPU? Do the specs
> simply mean up to 64 bit?

Yes. Athlon64 have a 32 bit "compatibility" mode which runs without any
performance hits.

> It made no sense to me why they didn't have all the 64 bit drivers for
> 64 bit XP and have what appears to be "regular" XP. On the other hand,
> it is a 939 type slot, so I am confused.

WinXP64 is new and it takes a while for manufacturers to get round to
releasing drivers. Also you'll not get any benefit if the applications
are still 32 bit ones.

My advice? Get the 64 bit hardware but hold off WinXP 64 bit for
another 6 months until the driver issue is sorted.

--
Conor

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <1119360257.217073.136640@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> says...
>
>> Will this board run 32 bit Windows XP and a 32 bit CPU? Do the specs
>> simply mean up to 64 bit?
>>
> Yes. Athlon64 have a 32 bit "compatibility" mode which runs without any
> performance hits.
>
>> It made no sense to me why they didn't have all the 64 bit drivers for
>> 64 bit XP and have what appears to be "regular" XP. On the other hand,
>> it is a 939 type slot, so I am confused.
>>
> WinXP64 is new and it takes a while for manufacturers to get round to
> releasing drivers. Also you'll not get any benefit if the applications
> are still 32 bit ones.
>
> My advice? Get the 64 bit hardware but hold off WinXP 64 bit for
> another 6 months until the driver issue is sorted.

Insert>
Like most people that have `done it all before`. Wait until 64 bit systems
have been road tested, and the bugs ironed out, the drivers have been
written, And there are some 64 bit programs to take advantage of the new
system. <g>.
endof<

> --
> Conor
>
> -You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
> K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)

The most common socket 939 processor is the Athlon 64. It is both a 32 bit
and 64 bit processor. For the average user 64-bit windows is useless and
driver support is sporadic. The A64 is an outstanding 32-bit capable
processor and runs regular 32-bit Windows XP just fine.

<needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote in message
> But what is the "939" slot? Will the 32 bit CPU fit in that?

In article <1119372420.541208.23660@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
says...
> But what is the "939" slot? Will the 32 bit CPU fit in that?

939 socket? Has 939 pins. You need a 939 pin CPU to fit in the socket.

--
Conor

"John Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote in message
> <needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote...
> >
> > Will this board run 32 bit Windows XP and a 32 bit CPU?
>
> Yes.
>
> > It made no sense to me why they didn't have all the 64 bit drivers for
> > 64 bit XP and have what appears to be "regular" XP. On the other hand,
> > it is a 939 type slot, so I am confused.
>
> The 64-bit version of XP is brand-new, so not all mfgrs have drivers for
it.

I think this guy is asking if a strictly 32-bit processor will run on the
939 board. To the best of my limited knowledge, it will not. You will have
to buy an Athlon 64-bit 939 pin processor. The Athlon 64-bit processor is
capable of natively running 32-bit software as well as 64-bit software.

I agree with the others in that I would not invest in 64-bit operating
systems until more drivers and software is available, but the idea of buying
an Athlon 64-bit processor now is a good idea, as far as I am concerned.

Ed Cregger

Okay, then what you folks are saying is just don't get the 64bit
Windows and that the 939 CPU will run the 32 bit Windows. Sorry it
took me so long to get it.

"Ed Cregger" <ecregger@ispwest.com> wrote...

> I think this guy is asking if a strictly 32-bit processor will run on the
> 939 board. To the best of my limited knowledge, it will not.

AFAIK, there are no 32-bit-only CPUs available in Socket 939, so that part of
his question is moot.

The S939 A64s are 32- and 64-bit compatible, so he can run what he wants on
whatever he can fit in the socket...

<needin4mation@gmail.com> wrote...
> Okay, then what you folks are saying is just don't get the 64bit
> Windows and that the 939 CPU will run the 32 bit Windows.

Correct.

Unless you're ready to deal with the 64-bit driver issues, wait until 64-bit XP
is more mature.

It is a moot point, because all S939 processors are 32/64 bit. There are no
32-bit only S939 cpu's.

> "Ed Cregger" <ecregger@ispwest.com> wrote...
> >
> > I think this guy is asking if a strictly 32-bit processor will run on
the
> > 939 board. To the best of my limited knowledge, it will not.
>
> AFAIK, there are no 32-bit-only CPUs available in Socket 939, so that part
of
> his question is moot.
>
> The S939 A64s are 32- and 64-bit compatible, so he can run what he wants
on
> whatever he can fit in the socket...

We know that, but I don't think he was all that sure of it. Which is why I
responded with the answer that I did. Yes, he would have discovered it
eventually. But he came here for help. Why not give it to him?

Ed Cregger