How do I tell if the m/board s dead?

Hi,
I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?

Thanks
--

Bob H
Leeds UK

    "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    > after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    > does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    > Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Bob H Leeds UK

    That`s pretty vague Bob. Can you switch the power supply On\off with the
    front switch ?. ie. is the switch connected correctly ?.
    Unplug the motherboard and drives and check for 12volts on yellow to black
    connectors. And 5 volts on red to black.

    old jon wrote:
    > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >> I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    >>after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    >>does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    >>Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>--
    >>Bob H Leeds UK
    >

    > That`s pretty vague Bob. Can you switch the power supply On\off with the
    > front switch ?. ie. is the switch connected correctly ?.
    > Unplug the motherboard and drives and check for 12volts on yellow to black
    > connectors. And 5 volts on red to black.

    Yea, sorry it is isn't it?
    I was puzzled because there was NO volts yesterday, and nothing worked
    nor came on. The front switch worked properly, in that I could get a
    resistance reading when I operated it.
    Now after fitting the new power supply, the led around the front switch
    lights up, but the switch doesn't seem to switch OFF, its like its ON
    all the time now, so I was using the switch on the power supply to
    switch ON/OFF. With everything connected, there was no voltage reading
    anything like +5v or +12v.

    Thanks

    --

    Bob H
    Leeds UK

    > old jon wrote:
    >> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>> I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    >>> after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    >>> does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    >>>Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>--
    >>>Bob H Leeds UK
    >>

    >> That`s pretty vague Bob. Can you switch the power supply On\off with the
    >> front switch ?. ie. is the switch connected correctly ?.
    >> Unplug the motherboard and drives and check for 12volts on yellow to
    >> black connectors. And 5 volts on red to black.
    > Yea, sorry it is isn't it?
    > I was puzzled because there was NO volts yesterday, and nothing worked nor
    > came on. The front switch worked properly, in that I could get a
    > resistance reading when I operated it.
    > Now after fitting the new power supply, the led around the front switch
    > lights up, but the switch doesn't seem to switch OFF, its like its ON all
    > the time now, so I was using the switch on the power supply to switch
    > ON/OFF. With everything connected, there was no voltage reading anything
    > like +5v or +12v.
    >
    > Thanks

    Press switch for about 4 secs to switch off. bw..J

    "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    > old jon wrote:
    > > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >> I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    > >>after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    > >>does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    > >>Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks
    > >>--
    > >>Bob H Leeds UK
    > >

    > > That`s pretty vague Bob. Can you switch the power supply On\off with the
    > > front switch ?. ie. is the switch connected correctly ?.
    > > Unplug the motherboard and drives and check for 12volts on yellow to
    black
    > > connectors. And 5 volts on red to black.
    > >

    > Yea, sorry it is isn't it?
    > I was puzzled because there was NO volts yesterday, and nothing worked
    > nor came on. The front switch worked properly, in that I could get a
    > resistance reading when I operated it.
    > Now after fitting the new power supply, the led around the front switch
    > lights up, but the switch doesn't seem to switch OFF, its like its ON
    > all the time now, so I was using the switch on the power supply to
    > switch ON/OFF. With everything connected, there was no voltage reading
    > anything like +5v or +12v.

    no 12v coming from the leads to the drives? psu is dead

    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    >

    > Bob H
    > Leeds UK

    "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    > after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    > does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    > Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Bob H Leeds UK

    Hi Bob. I`ve still got a feeling the front switch is Not connected to the
    correct pins on the MB. Check `em out again. bw..J

    "old jon" <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    > > after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    > > does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    > > Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > Bob H Leeds UK
    >
    > Hi Bob. I`ve still got a feeling the front switch is Not connected to the
    > correct pins on the MB. Check `em out again. bw..J

    Agreed after re reading>

    JAD wrote:
    > "old jon" <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>> I went to fit a new power supply in a friends machine earlier, but
    >>>after doing that and the fan of the new supply comes on, nothing else
    >>>does. The highest volatge reading I can get is about 1.8v somwhere.
    >>>Is the board dead, and is there any other way I can tell for sure?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>--
    >>>Bob H Leeds UK
    >>
    >>Hi Bob. I`ve still got a feeling the front switch is Not connected to the
    >>correct pins on the MB. Check `em out again. bw..J
    >>

    > Agreed after re reading>
    >

    > but the switch doesn't seem to switch OFF, its like its ON all the time
    > now,
    >

    > so I was using the switch on the power supply to switch
    > ON/OFF. With everything connected, there was no voltage reading anything
    >
    >>like +5v or +12v.

    What happens is when the mains lead is plugged into the back of the PSU
    the led around the ON/OFF switch is lit up, and there is also another
    led which is a yellowy/orange color. The fan on the PSU is going round
    ok, but nothing else. I held the ON/OFF switch in for agood 4/5 secs to
    see what would happen, but nothing, I know the switch actually works as
    per earlier post. I, very breifly at times, get 5v on the yellow wire
    from the PSU when the board is attached, but it soon drops to around 2v.

    But I will check the connection on the pins for the switch
    Any help?
    Thanks

    --

    Bob H
    Leeds UK

    yeah........... throw the power supply out.
    Take it out of the comp & test it.
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm
    I guess it's ATX?

    BruceM wrote:
    > yeah........... throw the power supply out.
    > Take it out of the comp & test it.
    > http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm
    > I guess it's ATX?
    >

    > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>JAD wrote:
    >>
    >>>"old jon" <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message

    >>>Agreed after re reading>
    >>>

    >>> but the switch doesn't seem to switch OFF, its like its ON all the
    >>>time
    >>>now,
    >>>

    >>>so I was using the switch on the power supply to switch
    >>> ON/OFF. With everything connected, there was no voltage reading anything

    >>What happens is when the mains lead is plugged into the back of the PSU
    >>the led around the ON/OFF switch is lit up, and there is also another led
    >>which is a yellowy/orange color. The fan on the PSU is going round ok, but
    >>nothing else. I held the ON/OFF switch in for agood 4/5 secs to see what
    >>would happen, but nothing, I know the switch actually works as per earlier
    >>post. I, very breifly at times, get 5v on the yellow wire from the PSU
    >>when the board is attached, but it soon drops to around 2v.
    >>
    >>But I will check the connection on the pins for the switch
    >>Any help?
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>--
    >>

    >>Bob H
    >>Leeds UK

    I looked at that site last night, and I need a load tester, or more
    correctly, the board has to have a load on it to test it correctly, so I
    have ordered one.
    The board is an IM845GL and the handbook tells me nothing!, Its' just
    dead basic.
    I also checked the pins for the switch and they are in the right place,
    because if I changed the connection to the next pin along the row, the
    led around the ON/OFF switch does not light up.
    So I'm gonna order a new board.

    Thanks

    --

    Bob H
    Leeds UK

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U

    Do you do the lottery each week? If so try this:
    http://www.betwealthlottery.com/in.asp?MID=AAAA1358

    Get more hits to your site by trying this; its free:
    http://www.can-autosurf.com/signup.php?ref=1462

    http://5daily.com/?ref=947

    http://4daily.com/#70249

    http://www.studiotraffic.com/index.php?refid=146911