Geoff, you got me.....

Just downloaded PMDG B737NG and took it for a quick flight (ok, without
reading any manuals, I was confident that I could quickly shoot an ILS at my
home airport....)

And now all I can say: Woooooooooow! Definitely better that PSS' Airbuses in
all aspects and all that by a few lengths..... I wish PMDG could do an
Airbus with the same quality. That would be paradise for me ;-))
Gosh, I guess I have to switch to Boeings in my old days......
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Oskar,

I'm really pleased that you like it. It's a shame that the Airbus offerings
let you down. PMDG say they can't make one because Airbus are not as
forthcoming with information therefore they couldn't achieve the high
standards they strive for. Personally I reckon there is an element of them
having people with Boeing experience on the team and therefore they know
when it feels right. I believe one of the problems with a lot of these
companies is that the designers are only GA experienced at best in which
case how can they model a heavy.

A good forum for the PMDG is here:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=136

I realise that the plastic has taken a battering of the last couple of days
research (Did you get the 900 version with TCAS or just the 600/700 for
now), however you may wish to consider these:

http://www.fmcguide.com/

I'm not sure if they will make you feel more at home or not as I believe
that Bus drivers have all the manuals on the computer. However they are
intended for use by real pilots to keep with them in the cockpit.

Happy flying, and no doubt you will be able to provide even more expert
advice to the group now. I suspect your post will cause a number of the
group to go out and buy the PMDG.

Cheers

Geoff

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> Just downloaded PMDG B737NG and took it for a quick flight (ok, without
> reading any manuals, I was confident that I could quickly shoot an ILS at
my
> home airport....)
>
> And now all I can say: Woooooooooow! Definitely better that PSS' Airbuses
in
> all aspects and all that by a few lengths..... I wish PMDG could do an
> Airbus with the same quality. That would be paradise for me ;-))
> Gosh, I guess I have to switch to Boeings in my old days......
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Hi Oskar

Now you too can pretend to be a 'real pilot' just like us ;-)

I wonder would you have the time available to write a tutorial based around
a short flight in the B737. It would be interesting for a pilot to write one
rather than simmers and software companies. Especially to see how you would
use the A/P functions, and when you would choose to hand fly. ?

I am sure it would very popular

Cheers
Steve

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Oskar,
>
> I'm really pleased that you like it. It's a shame that the Airbus
> offerings
> let you down. PMDG say they can't make one because Airbus are not as
> forthcoming with information therefore they couldn't achieve the high
> standards they strive for. Personally I reckon there is an element of
> them
> having people with Boeing experience on the team and therefore they know
> when it feels right. I believe one of the problems with a lot of these
> companies is that the designers are only GA experienced at best in which
> case how can they model a heavy.
>
> A good forum for the PMDG is here:
>
> http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=136
>

> I realise that the plastic has taken a battering of the last couple of
> days
> research (Did you get the 900 version with TCAS or just the 600/700 for
> now), however you may wish to consider these:
>
> http://www.fmcguide.com/
>
> I'm not sure if they will make you feel more at home or not as I believe
> that Bus drivers have all the manuals on the computer. However they are
> intended for use by real pilots to keep with them in the cockpit.
>
> Happy flying, and no doubt you will be able to provide even more expert
> advice to the group now. I suspect your post will cause a number of the
> group to go out and buy the PMDG.
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff
>
> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> Just downloaded PMDG B737NG and took it for a quick flight (ok, without
>> reading any manuals, I was confident that I could quickly shoot an ILS at
> my
>> home airport....)
>>
>> And now all I can say: Woooooooooow! Definitely better that PSS' Airbuses
> in
>> all aspects and all that by a few lengths..... I wish PMDG could do an
>> Airbus with the same quality. That would be paradise for me ;-))
>> Gosh, I guess I have to switch to Boeings in my old days......
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Well the main thing is - IMHO - that PSS' models have been done on FS2002
and I remember that their flying characteristics were extremely better on
FS2002. So it is PSS to blame for not having adapted it's models to FS2004.
As for pure programming matters in therms of cockpit quality it must be said
that PSS VC is just poor but maybe for the same reason. I hope their new
products are at least state-of-the-art.
My hopes are that PMDG will once get hold of some people being familiar with
the Airbus concept as I can easily figure out that and Airbus done on PMDG
standards would beat all worlds records.... ;-))
--

"stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Oskar
>
> Now you too can pretend to be a 'real pilot' just like us ;-)
>
> I wonder would you have the time available to write a tutorial based
> around a short flight in the B737. It would be interesting for a pilot to
> write one rather than simmers and software companies. Especially to see
> how you would use the A/P functions, and when you would choose to hand
> fly. ?
>
> I am sure it would very popular
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> Just downloaded PMDG B737NG and took it for a quick flight (ok, without
>> reading any manuals, I was confident that I could quickly shoot an ILS at
>> my home airport....)
>>
>> And now all I can say: Woooooooooow! Definitely better that PSS' Airbuses
>> in all aspects and all that by a few lengths..... I wish PMDG could do an
>> Airbus with the same quality. That would be paradise for me ;-))
>> Gosh, I guess I have to switch to Boeings in my old days......
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Well Steve, I can hear you ;-) but as you might know the crucial thing on
tutorials is always copyright issues as has been with Tim Metzinger's
tutorial being withdrawn just because of that. So for me it's not a matter
of time but more a matter of reasonability... ;-)
But who knows......
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

I am not aware of this situation nor with Tim Metzinger's work. I don't see
it what was the problem ?

Steve

>I am not aware of this situation nor with Tim Metzinger's work. I don't see
>it what was the problem ?
>
> Steve
>

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Hi Oskar
>>>
>>> Now you too can pretend to be a 'real pilot' just like us ;-)
>>>
>>> I wonder would you have the time available to write a tutorial based
>>> around a short flight in the B737. It would be interesting for a pilot
>>> to write one rather than simmers and software companies. Especially to
>>> see how you would use the A/P functions, and when you would choose to
>>> hand fly. ?
>>>
>>> I am sure it would very popular
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Steve
>>>

>>> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

>> Well Steve, I can hear you ;-) but as you might know the crucial thing
>> on tutorials is always copyright issues as has been with Tim Metzinger's
>> tutorial being withdrawn just because of that. So for me it's not a
>> matter of time but more a matter of reasonability... ;-)
>> But who knows......
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

As soon as you publish something of a third party including pictures or
written evidence originating from that third party you are violating
copyright issues. To get permission to do so is usually such a boring
process that - of course - nobody really is keen to go through.
So the easiest way to stay out of trouble is to withdraw quickly or just not
publish anything.....

--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Steve,

Tim used Jeppeson chart shots in the tutorial and became aware that he may
be in breach of copyright, therefore he removed them from the website.
Unfortunately version 3 has been a long time in production and it is even
suggested it may be payware. I must admit that version 2 was so
good/enjoyable that I even went to his site to make a donation, and if you
knew me you would realise the significance of that statement.

Regards

Geoff

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:31:02 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

> As soon as you publish something of a third party including pictures or
> written evidence originating from that third party you are violating
> copyright issues. To get permission to do so is usually such a boring
> process that - of course - nobody really is keen to go through.
> So the easiest way to stay out of trouble is to withdraw quickly or just not
> publish anything.....

Wait a second....that's the reason why his tutorial was yanked off the air?
Are you sure the people at PMDG didn't do it out of spite? Because they
didn't think of it first?

I mean no disrespect to the team at PMDG....you e-mail them a question and
they get right back to you with an answer.
But Tim's tutorial was top notch! It sure helped me understand how to
handle the 737, and it helped some others too.
I'm glad I got to it on time, thanks to Geoff. Saved it on my harddrive.
It's only 32MB if anyone wants it e-mailed. Hotmail takes 250MB now. :)

--

Marcel
(When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the

Marcel,

Wrong as usual LOL. Hotmail only supports 10MB attachments and provides
250MB of storage. That's why it needs to be uploaded to a webserver for
people to download, after all the most important file in the zip is 20MB
(apparently). I speak hypothetically of course as I also deny Marcel's
suggestion that I provided him or anybody else with access to it after it
had been withdrawn.

As for the PMDG team withdrawing it I really don't think so. It was great PR
for them and allowed novices to learn to fly the thing, and more importantly
buy it in the first place. I'm now going through the whole thing again with
Concorde, but I don't think any tutorial in that league is available.

As for PMDG support I will make a point while I think about it. I and
numerous friends clocked up many hours flying this thing, largely under the
supervision of a Boeing 747 captain who had also got his hours in on the
737NG. Every "fault" we identified turned out to be just how the Boeing
works according to the instructor, and when researched was proven to be the
case. Loads of newbie's rant about the bugs and faults in the PMDG product,
when in reality it is simply their inability to fly a Boeing Jet. I've had
the NG since it was released and never required anything from PMDG to make
it work due to faults. That said whenever I've asked a question I've
received good support. Therefore, if anyone buys this aircraft and things
don't seem right, exhaust all possibilities regarding your own ability and
the PC hardware / software before logging a bug.

BTW nice to hear from you again Marcel.

Regards

Geoff

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:31:02 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
>
> > As soon as you publish something of a third party including pictures or
> > written evidence originating from that third party you are violating
> > copyright issues. To get permission to do so is usually such a boring
> > process that - of course - nobody really is keen to go through.
> > So the easiest way to stay out of trouble is to withdraw quickly or just
not
> > publish anything.....
>
> Wait a second....that's the reason why his tutorial was yanked off the
air?
> Are you sure the people at PMDG didn't do it out of spite? Because they
> didn't think of it first?
>
> I mean no disrespect to the team at PMDG....you e-mail them a question and
> they get right back to you with an answer.
> But Tim's tutorial was top notch! It sure helped me understand how to
> handle the 737, and it helped some others too.
> I'm glad I got to it on time, thanks to Geoff. Saved it on my harddrive.
> It's only 32MB if anyone wants it e-mailed. Hotmail takes 250MB now. :)
>
> --
>
> Marcel
> (When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the
> earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
> and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci)

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Steve,
I found this tutorial at MIT I believe. I found it to be very interesting
reading even though I do most of my time in GA aircraft not the heavies . .
.. and I don't have one with a working FMC.
http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/dept/aeroastro/flightsimlab/IAP%20KBOS-KATL%20767PIC%20Tutorial.doc
Danny

"stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi Oskar
>
> Now you too can pretend to be a 'real pilot' just like us ;-)
>
> I wonder would you have the time available to write a tutorial based
around
> a short flight in the B737. It would be interesting for a pilot to write
one
> rather than simmers and software companies. Especially to see how you
would
> use the A/P functions, and when you would choose to hand fly. ?
>
> I am sure it would very popular
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> > Just downloaded PMDG B737NG and took it for a quick flight (ok, without
> > reading any manuals, I was confident that I could quickly shoot an ILS
at
> > my home airport....)
> >
> > And now all I can say: Woooooooooow! Definitely better that PSS'
Airbuses
> > in all aspects and all that by a few lengths..... I wish PMDG could do
an
> > Airbus with the same quality. That would be paradise for me ;-))
> > Gosh, I guess I have to switch to Boeings in my old days......
> > --
> > Oskar
> > (retired captain)
> > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Marcel Kuijper wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:31:02 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

> I'm glad I got to it on time, thanks to Geoff. Saved it on my harddrive.
> It's only 32MB if anyone wants it e-mailed. Hotmail takes 250MB now. :)

I didn't know Hotmail would accept a file that large.
Try it at:

bsmith77@hotmail.com

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

boB wrote:

> Marcel Kuijper wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:31:02 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
>

>> I'm glad I got to it on time, thanks to Geoff. Saved it on my harddrive.
>> It's only 32MB if anyone wants it e-mailed. Hotmail takes 250MB now. :)
>>

> I didn't know Hotmail would accept a file that large.
> Try it at:
>
> bsmith77@hotmail.com

OOOPS Disregard. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi GeoffC,

"...and if you knew me you would realise the significance of that
statement"

So, how many moths did you donate when you got your wallet out? :)

Regards,
John Ward .

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Steve,
>
> Tim used Jeppeson chart shots in the tutorial and became aware that he may
> be in breach of copyright, therefore he removed them from the website.
> Unfortunately version 3 has been a long time in production and it is even
> suggested it may be payware. I must admit that version 2 was so
> good/enjoyable that I even went to his site to make a donation, and if you
> knew me you would realise the significance of that statement.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff
>

> "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > I am not aware of this situation nor with Tim Metzinger's work. I don't
> see
> > it what was the problem ?
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> > > "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> without
ILS

PMDG
> me
> > >>>

> > > Well Steve, I can hear you ;-) but as you might know the crucial
thing
> on
> > > tutorials is always copyright issues as has been with Tim Metzinger's
> > > tutorial being withdrawn just because of that. So for me it's not a
> matter
> > > of time but more a matter of reasonability... ;-)
> > > But who knows......
> > > --
> > > Oskar
> > > (retired captain)
> > > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

OK Geoff I see, but it would have been quite easy for him to use legal
charts, perhaps by changing the destinations

Steve

ps Hi John !!

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi GeoffC,
>
> "...and if you knew me you would realise the significance of that
> statement"
>
> So, how many moths did you donate when you got your wallet out? :)
>
> Regards,
> John Ward .
>
> "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Steve,
>>
>> Tim used Jeppeson chart shots in the tutorial and became aware that he
>> may
>> be in breach of copyright, therefore he removed them from the website.
>> Unfortunately version 3 has been a long time in production and it is even
>> suggested it may be payware. I must admit that version 2 was so
>> good/enjoyable that I even went to his site to make a donation, and if
>> you
>> knew me you would realise the significance of that statement.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Geoff
>>

>> "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > I am not aware of this situation nor with Tim Metzinger's work. I don't
>> see
>> > it what was the problem ?
>> >
>> > Steve
>> >

>> > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

> pilot
> see
> hand

>> without
> ILS

> PMDG
>> me

> thing
>> on
>> matter

Steve,

I'm only trying to answer why they aren't available currently. I'm sure in
hindsight he would have taken a different route (No pun intended).

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:17:54 -0000, GeoffC wrote:

> Marcel,
>
> Wrong as usual LOL. Hotmail only supports 10MB attachments and provides
> 250MB of storage. That's why it needs to be uploaded to a webserver for
> people to download, after all the most important file in the zip is 20MB
> (apparently).

Well...yeah okay. You're right there. I didn't think there was a limit to
attachments anymore with a 250MB inbox.

> I speak hypothetically of course as I also deny Marcel's suggestion that
> I provided him or anybody else with access to it after it had been withdrawn.

And now it's 1-1, Geoff. :)
I didn't say anything about you providing me with the tutorial or access to
it after it it had been withdrawn.

What I said was:
"I'm glad I got to it on time, thanks to Geoff. Saved it on my harddrive."

If you ready that carefully it says that I "got to it on time".

I got it from AvSim, just like you did. And you pointed me to it on time.

Okay very vague the first time, I'll admit....still though... :)

> As for the PMDG team withdrawing it I really don't think so. It was great PR
> for them and allowed novices to learn to fly the thing, and more importantly
> buy it in the first place. I'm now going through the whole thing again with
> Concorde, but I don't think any tutorial in that league is available.

So who got it withdrawn due to copyrights, like Oskar said?
Who else holds the copyrights to that bird?

--

Marcel
(There's no such thing as a natural-born pilot. - Chuck Yeager)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:43:51 +0100, Marcel Kuijper wrote:

> So who got it withdrawn due to copyrights, like Oskar said?
> Who else holds the copyrights to that bird?

Never mind....just read the rest of the post in the thread.

--

Marcel
(When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the
earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci)

I've had the PMDG737NG for a year or so, along with the upgrade‹it adds lots
of value for the bucks‹and despite lots of wandering into forums, downloads
et al, I've yet to see a tutorial that takes you from A to B in a
straightforward, no-nonsense way. The problem with tutorials of all kinds,
from digital cameras to PMDGs is that the tutorials always seem to cover
ultimate situations. Maybe they should be developed in stages. Once we get
'em down, we move on. Start writing Oskar.