NT network slows with XP client

I just installed a new XP Pro client on a WindowsNT sp6 domain network.
After successful installation of the client, copying files from the server
to the XP machine takes WAY longer than it used to. Maybe 4 or 5 times.
This has happened on another network I managed and I upgraded the server to
Win2K and that solved the problem. I don't have that luxury here for a
variey of reasons

My client server apps also take a ....long pause...before starting now when
accessing them the from the XP client. The win98 clients work fine
regarding speed (imagine). Essentially, when accessing files from an XP pro
client on the NT server, I'm getting a big performance drop. Anyone have
ideas or strategies on this.

Many thanks.
jm

My first guess would be that it's related to the XP client attempting to
locate and register with a DynDNS server. I've been more or less
avoiding XP, but I believe there's an option in the Advanced section of
the TCP/IP properties for the your NIC ("Local Area Connection") that
allow you to tell XP not to register with DNS on that interface. You
might try disabling that option, since you don't appear to have a DynDNS
server or a W2k domain present.

--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

Would this apply also to w2k workstations?