User password change problem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 29, 2004 1:48:08 AM

I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:59:16 AM

Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?

--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

Hi,
I have cuurently access to my BDC as bcoz the PDC is in a different location connected by WAN(IP VPN).It is happening at the BDC end but if you want anything to be checked at the PDC end I can do that.

Thanks
Tanmoy

"Tanmoy Ghosh" wrote:

> I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
July 30, 2004 1:19:02 AM

HI,
I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.

Thanks
Tanmoy

"John R Buchan" wrote:

> Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?
>
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:48:08 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh <Tanmoy
> Ghosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
>
> --
> Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
> the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
> John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 1:51:37 AM

In an NT domain, the PDC maintains the only modifiable copy of the
domain's SAM. BDCs each have a read only copy, provided by the PDC.
Without more information on your network and the BDC's roll in
connectivity between sites, I can't guess why applying a patch would
have cause the problem, but your client's appear to be unable to map
and/or connect to the PDC.

Do your member PCs have network connectivity with the PDC (e.g. can they
ping it by IP? By name?)?

Are your member PCs able to establish network connections to the PDC
(e.g. map a drive) assuming a functional user account, of course?

Do you provide name resolution that will allow member machines to
resolve the domain's 1C and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC?

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:19:02 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
<TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.
>
>"John R Buchan" wrote:
>
>> Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:48:08 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh <Tanmoy
>> Ghosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 1:51:38 AM

My client is able to ping the PDC by IP as well as DNS names and mapping the PDC drives is also not at all a problem.Any client from my place can establish network connections to the PDC. Name resolutions is also taking place properly.
Please help.

"John R Buchan" wrote:

> In an NT domain, the PDC maintains the only modifiable copy of the
> domain's SAM. BDCs each have a read only copy, provided by the PDC.
> Without more information on your network and the BDC's roll in
> connectivity between sites, I can't guess why applying a patch would
> have cause the problem, but your client's appear to be unable to map
> and/or connect to the PDC.
>
> Do your member PCs have network connectivity with the PDC (e.g. can they
> ping it by IP? By name?)?
>
> Are your member PCs able to establish network connections to the PDC
> (e.g. map a drive) assuming a functional user account, of course?
>
> Do you provide name resolution that will allow member machines to
> resolve the domain's 1C and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC?
>
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:19:02 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
> <TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.
> >
> >"John R Buchan" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?

> --
> Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
> the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
> John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:31:09 AM

Interesting. Sounds like you have IP and NetBIOS connectivity between
the members on the BDC's segment and the PDC. You apparently also have
at least partial NetBIOS name resolution. Since you didn't explicitly
answer my question about members being able to resolve the domains's 1C
and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC, I can't really exclude NetBIOS
name resolution, yet.

Are the BDC or PDC involved in providing the VPN link or to you have
separate devices providing that?

Are the 2 segments you've mentioned on separate subnets or is the VPN
tunnel bridged?

Do you have WINS set up? If so, please describe the setup of any WINS
servers and the members that are giving you trouble.

What happens when you open User Manager For Domains on the BDC? On the
PDC? On one of the problem domain members?

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:31:01 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh

!