User password change problem

I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
6 answers Last reply
More about user password change problem

    Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?

    --
    Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

    Hi,
    I have cuurently access to my BDC as bcoz the PDC is in a different location connected by WAN(IP VPN).It is happening at the BDC end but if you want anything to be checked at the PDC end I can do that.

    Thanks
    Tanmoy

    "Tanmoy Ghosh" wrote:

    > I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    HI,
    I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.

    Thanks
    Tanmoy

    "John R Buchan" wrote:

    > Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?
    >
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:48:08 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh <Tanmoy
    > Ghosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
    >
    > --
    > Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    > the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
    > John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    In an NT domain, the PDC maintains the only modifiable copy of the
    domain's SAM. BDCs each have a read only copy, provided by the PDC.
    Without more information on your network and the BDC's roll in
    connectivity between sites, I can't guess why applying a patch would
    have cause the problem, but your client's appear to be unable to map
    and/or connect to the PDC.

    Do your member PCs have network connectivity with the PDC (e.g. can they
    ping it by IP? By name?)?

    Are your member PCs able to establish network connections to the PDC
    (e.g. map a drive) assuming a functional user account, of course?

    Do you provide name resolution that will allow member machines to
    resolve the domain's 1C and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC?

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:19:02 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
    <TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.
    >
    >"John R Buchan" wrote:
    >
    >> Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?
    >>
    >> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:48:08 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh <Tanmoy
    >> Ghosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Windows Nt 4.0 BDC in my office and the PDC is in a different location.They are connected via WAN(IP VPN connectivitivity).Both the machines are running Service Pack 6a(and also the workstations)and updated hotfixes.Before the hotfixes were applied to the BDC, the users were able to change their password.When a user on a computer running Windows NT Workstation logs on with an expired password and is prompted to change the password, he or she receives the following error:"Unable to change password on this account (C00000BE).Contact your System Administrator".I have checked out every possible solution but they couldn't solve the issue.There is no entry in the Registry called RestrictAnonymous.Even i have uninstalled KB828035 Security Update and pipe\samr related connections are also within the limit.I am having tremendous problem with this issue and I seek an urgent solution from Microsoft.
    --
    Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
    John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    My client is able to ping the PDC by IP as well as DNS names and mapping the PDC drives is also not at all a problem.Any client from my place can establish network connections to the PDC. Name resolutions is also taking place properly.
    Please help.

    "John R Buchan" wrote:

    > In an NT domain, the PDC maintains the only modifiable copy of the
    > domain's SAM. BDCs each have a read only copy, provided by the PDC.
    > Without more information on your network and the BDC's roll in
    > connectivity between sites, I can't guess why applying a patch would
    > have cause the problem, but your client's appear to be unable to map
    > and/or connect to the PDC.
    >
    > Do your member PCs have network connectivity with the PDC (e.g. can they
    > ping it by IP? By name?)?
    >
    > Are your member PCs able to establish network connections to the PDC
    > (e.g. map a drive) assuming a functional user account, of course?
    >
    > Do you provide name resolution that will allow member machines to
    > resolve the domain's 1C and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC?
    >
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:19:02 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
    > <TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.
    > >
    > >"John R Buchan" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is this problem occurring on both sites or just the BDC site?

    > --
    > Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    > the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
    > John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Interesting. Sounds like you have IP and NetBIOS connectivity between
    the members on the BDC's segment and the PDC. You apparently also have
    at least partial NetBIOS name resolution. Since you didn't explicitly
    answer my question about members being able to resolve the domains's 1C
    and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC, I can't really exclude NetBIOS
    name resolution, yet.

    Are the BDC or PDC involved in providing the VPN link or to you have
    separate devices providing that?

    Are the 2 segments you've mentioned on separate subnets or is the VPN
    tunnel bridged?

    Do you have WINS set up? If so, please describe the setup of any WINS
    servers and the members that are giving you trouble.

    What happens when you open User Manager For Domains on the BDC? On the
    PDC? On one of the problem domain members?

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:31:01 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
    <TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My client is able to ping the PDC by IP as well as DNS names and mapping the PDC drives is also not at all a problem.Any client from my place can establish network connections to the PDC. Name resolutions is also taking place properly.
    >Please help.
    >
    >"John R Buchan" wrote:
    >
    >> In an NT domain, the PDC maintains the only modifiable copy of the
    >> domain's SAM. BDCs each have a read only copy, provided by the PDC.
    >> Without more information on your network and the BDC's roll in
    >> connectivity between sites, I can't guess why applying a patch would
    >> have cause the problem, but your client's appear to be unable to map
    >> and/or connect to the PDC.
    >>
    >> Do your member PCs have network connectivity with the PDC (e.g. can they
    >> ping it by IP? By name?)?
    >>
    >> Are your member PCs able to establish network connections to the PDC
    >> (e.g. map a drive) assuming a functional user account, of course?
    >>
    >> Do you provide name resolution that will allow member machines to
    >> resolve the domain's 1C and/or 1B names to the IP of the PDC?
    >>
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:19:02 -0700, Tanmoy Ghosh
    >> <TanmoyGhosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have the BDC at my end and the PDC is in a different location connected via WAN(IP VPN).But if u want me to check anythin at the PDC end plz do let me know so that I can revert bac to u.

    --
    Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).
    John R Buchan ........................ jrb-tech(at)unknownegg(dot)org

Windows NT Windows