How to clean thermal paste from CPU socket?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.

Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?

Thanks in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about clean thermal paste socket
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Girl in CAD class came in my office one day really upset.
    She had been working on her project, and saved it to a
    floppy, and then put the floppy in her purse. Sometime
    after, she spilled purse-goop on the floppy, and her
    project was gone. I took the disk and cracked the
    plastic case off of it, and took the recording media in
    the bathroom and washed it with soap and warm water,
    and then rinsed it until I could not seen any more stuff
    on the disk. Took another floppy, and carefully replaced
    the inside media with the washed media. Worked fine.
    Happy girl. I don't agree with alchohol or any solvent
    that can destroy plastic. I think stripping the board of
    ram, cpu, etc and using something like Joy liquid detergent and warm water
    sprayed fairly hard is your
    best bet. Let it dry good.

    johns
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1119485382.837587.63850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
    > Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
    > compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.
    >
    > Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >I'd try a small sewing needle with some paint thinner or acetone.Keep
    >wiping the pin clean.Of course unplug the power supply and maybe the
    >motherboard too:)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:17:53 -0700, "johns"
    <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote:

    >Girl in CAD class came in my office one day really upset.
    >She had been working on her project, and saved it to a
    >floppy, and then put the floppy in her purse. Sometime
    >after, she spilled purse-goop on the floppy, and her
    >project was gone. I took the disk and cracked the
    >plastic case off of it, and took the recording media in
    >the bathroom and washed it with soap and warm water,
    >and then rinsed it until I could not seen any more stuff
    >on the disk. Took another floppy, and carefully replaced
    >the inside media with the washed media. Worked fine.
    >Happy girl. I don't agree with alchohol or any solvent
    >that can destroy plastic. I think stripping the board of
    >ram, cpu, etc and using something like Joy liquid detergent and warm water
    >sprayed fairly hard is your
    >best bet. Let it dry good.
    >
    >johns
    >
    Does alcohol generally dissolve plastic? I know acetone can. I wonder
    if cleaning agent selection should be based on that which will
    dissolve the heatsink compound but won't dissolve or attack the
    plastic socket material. Mineral Spirits may do it. A guess.
    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    johns wrote:

    > I don't agree with alchohol or any solvent that can
    > destroy plastic. I think stripping the board of ram,
    > cpu, etc and using something like Joy liquid detergent
    > and warm water sprayed fairly hard is your best bet.
    > Let it dry good.

    That's rather bad advice. Isopropyl and ethyl alcohols are safe for
    electronics parts, but 90% or higher purity should be used to prevent
    trapped water from causing corrosion.

    Detergent and water will usually work well enough, but the water should
    be distilled, at least the water used for the final rinse.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks for all the advice.

    I tried the needle approach. Also used a swab of cotton dipped in nail
    polish remover. That did the trick. The board is alive!
    --
    Wiley

    "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1119485382.837587.63850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
    > Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
    > compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.
    >
    > Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    DaveH wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:17:53 -0700, "johns"
    > <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Girl in CAD class came in my office one day really upset.
    >>She had been working on her project, and saved it to a
    >>floppy, and then put the floppy in her purse. Sometime
    >>after, she spilled purse-goop on the floppy, and her
    >>project was gone. I took the disk and cracked the
    >>plastic case off of it, and took the recording media in
    >>the bathroom and washed it with soap and warm water,
    >>and then rinsed it until I could not seen any more stuff
    >>on the disk. Took another floppy, and carefully replaced
    >>the inside media with the washed media. Worked fine.
    >>Happy girl. I don't agree with alchohol or any solvent
    >>that can destroy plastic. I think stripping the board of
    >>ram, cpu, etc and using something like Joy liquid detergent and warm water
    >>sprayed fairly hard is your
    >>best bet. Let it dry good.
    >>
    >>johns
    >>
    >
    > Does alcohol generally dissolve plastic? I know acetone can. I wonder
    > if cleaning agent selection should be based on that which will
    > dissolve the heatsink compound but won't dissolve or attack the
    > plastic socket material. Mineral Spirits may do it. A guess.
    > Dave
    >

    Mineral spirits on a motherboard? That sounds VERY wrong to me.


    --
    spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:33:45 +0800, spodosaurus
    <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >DaveH wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:17:53 -0700, "johns"
    >> <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Girl in CAD class came in my office one day really upset.
    >>>She had been working on her project, and saved it to a
    >>>floppy, and then put the floppy in her purse. Sometime
    >>>after, she spilled purse-goop on the floppy, and her
    >>>project was gone. I took the disk and cracked the
    >>>plastic case off of it, and took the recording media in
    >>>the bathroom and washed it with soap and warm water,
    >>>and then rinsed it until I could not seen any more stuff
    >>>on the disk. Took another floppy, and carefully replaced
    >>>the inside media with the washed media. Worked fine.
    >>>Happy girl. I don't agree with alchohol or any solvent
    >>>that can destroy plastic. I think stripping the board of
    >>>ram, cpu, etc and using something like Joy liquid detergent and warm water
    >>>sprayed fairly hard is your
    >>>best bet. Let it dry good.
    >>>
    >>>johns
    >>>
    >>
    >> Does alcohol generally dissolve plastic? I know acetone can. I wonder
    >> if cleaning agent selection should be based on that which will
    >> dissolve the heatsink compound but won't dissolve or attack the
    >> plastic socket material. Mineral Spirits may do it. A guess.
    >> Dave
    >>
    >
    >Mineral spirits on a motherboard? That sounds VERY wrong to me.

    Yea--Maybe you're right.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Wiley Q. Hacker wrote:
    > I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
    > Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
    > compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.
    >
    > Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    I've come across (and you'll have to google for these) reports of
    recovering motherboards and other cards following flood submersion (and
    associated debris accumulation). IIRC it involves soaking in soapy
    water. Not that I think you'll have much luck with the goop all down in
    the pin holes, but you never know.

    --
    spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    You the man!


    "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:J4Iue.22$oD6.257@news.oracle.com...
    > Thanks for all the advice.
    >
    > I tried the needle approach. Also used a swab of cotton dipped in nail
    > polish remover. That did the trick. The board is alive!
    > --
    > Wiley
    >
    > "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1119485382.837587.63850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >>I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
    >> Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
    >> compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.
    >>
    >> Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I did, Matt. It wouldn't work before, and does now.

    My compound was white, not silver. Don't know the difference.
    --
    Wiley

    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    news:F3%ue.118$pg.96@news01.roc.ny...
    > Wiley Q. Hacker wrote:
    >> Thanks for all the advice.
    >>
    >> I tried the needle approach. Also used a swab of cotton dipped in nail
    >> polish remover. That did the trick. The board is alive!
    >> --
    >> Wiley
    >>
    >> "Wiley Q. Hacker" <wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:1119485382.837587.63850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >>>I got a little too enthusiastic trying to mount a fan onto an AMD
    >>>Athlon XP 2900+ into a Socket A motherboard. Now, I've got thermal
    >>>compount in the pin holes on the socket, and the board is unusable.
    >>>
    >>>Can I, and if so, how do I clean the socket to remove the compound?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I guess you didn't try just using it without trying to clean it. I was
    > thinking that the zif mechanism would just squeeze the thermal compound
    > out of the way and you would have good contact on all the pins anyway ...
    > assuming you weren't using one of the silver compounds or other stuff with
    > problemmatic capacitative or conductive properties.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Thermal Compound Socket Systems